U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM

35,578 posts, read 43,794,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
I know this is hijacking the thread, but I guess it's kinda run it's course and I don't wanna bug y'all with a whole thread about this!

I took my daughter to the pediatrician today and he thinks it's a type of epilepsy because one time, about 2 years ago she DID have a seizure and passed out at the bus stop. Now she gets this intense pain in her head, she loses touch with things around her, and she gets dizzy and nauseated.

Our next stop is a Neurologist . The ped drew 4 tubes of blood. They put Presby to SHAME today.

Anyway, we'll see. I'm a worried Mama.
Sandy, I am so glad you came on and posted! Quite a few folks have been posting on your thread, hoping to find out what transpired with your daughter.

I am so glad you are getting to the root of her health issues. And it was a very good idea you got her to the doc when you did, even tho I know it was awful trying to work that out in the bad weather.

Please let us know how things unfold. As ChicagoM. said - there are so many treatments available today - and I will add - we have some great neuro folks in this town.

Let us know what happens . . .

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM

1,504 posts, read 1,831,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
So, what is going on?? Other than Sandy's mess with her daughter, I am at a loss...(and Sunny is not moderating?)
Things are getting a bit tense in some of the other threads. I don't know when Sunny is "coming back". I almost feel like jumping in and saying "stop it kids" and "take it outside"

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,929,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Things are getting a bit tense in some of the other threads. I don't know when Sunny is "coming back". I almost feel like jumping in and saying "stop it kids" and "take it outside"
oh, dear.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have made a lot of online friends (some of whom have become real life friends!) on CD. Just seems sad to me that what was at one time a fun place to post (including some ribbing we all gave each other from time to time) doesn't seem as much fun these days.

I have also noticed that for a lot of us who have been posting a long time, we all know each other's history - and we have had so many discussions in the past - we know each other's opinions on a variety of subjects. Then we get a group of new folks in and they seem to jump to conclusions or take offense (and surely do not get the humor that stems from conversations of the past) . . . I have seen folks make assumptions or misinterpret what various posters have said (at times).

Ani, I really hope you don't leave, I know I am one of the "newbies" more or less, but I really hope to keep reading you funny/insightful posts.

I was part of a forum at the ground level back in 03, there were maybe 1000 of us that posted there. The forum, which will remain nameless (Ill totally tell anyone that wants to DM me) BLEW up though because of a certain event in 2003 which attracted MILLIONS to the site. Those of us regs who really had insight into the world that the forum was created for, were initially turned off, but we realized it wasnt so bad. That was the first wave, then as the calendar turned to 04, 05, 06 it seemed like more and more terrible posters/trolls/kids were coming to post and it almost became unreadable. None of this was really our fault as mods, the volume was just really high and it was hard to deal with. As time went on though, we weeded out the trolls (IP bans are great) and old timers ignore lists grew.

Point is, forums, like new music will often jump the shark to those who were OGs (original gangstas ). My older cousins loved Metallica in the 80s but by the time I was old enough to like the black album it was "lame" to them. I always felt like I was a step behind.

So to me the cycle of an internet forum is predicatable and slightly "cliquish", good posters will be turned off by bad posters and especially those with newer registration dates, and sadly will leave us. Its all so tragic, yet so predicatable.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM

35,578 posts, read 43,794,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Ani, I really hope you don't leave, I know I am one of the "newbies" more or less, but I really hope to keep reading you funny/insightful posts.

I was part of a forum at the ground level back in 03, there were maybe 1000 of us that posted there. The forum, which will remain nameless (Ill totally tell anyone that wants to DM me) BLEW up though because of a certain event in 2003 which attracted MILLIONS to the site. Those of us regs who really had insight into the world that the forum was created for, were initially turned off, but we realized it wasnt so bad. That was the first wave, then as the calendar turned to 04, 05, 06 it seemed like more and more terrible posters/trolls/kids were coming to post and it almost became unreadable. None of this was really our fault as mods, the volume was just really high and it was hard to deal with. As time went on though, we weeded out the trolls (IP bans are great) and old timers ignore lists grew.

Point is, forums, like new music will often jump the shark to those who were OGs (original gangstas ). My older cousins loved Metallica in the 80s but by the time I was old enough to like the black album it was "lame" to them. I always felt like I was a step behind.

So to me the cycle of an internet forum is predicatable and slightly "cliquish", good posters will be turned off by bad posters and especially those with newer registration dates, and sadly will leave us. Its all so tragic, yet so predicatable.
That was so insightful and totally makes sense to me!!! THere are so many folks (you being one of them!) that I enjoy posting with here. What you wrote is an interesting insight into the life cycle of forums and is very enlightening. It really does put things in perspective.

Thank you so much for sharing that info. It makes me feel a lot better about the transitions I have seen on this forum. I have gotten really really miffed with being misunderstood (and accosted) by several posters - and think - if they had a clue about how much time so many of us have spent - even behind the scenes in DMs and emails - trying to help newcomers either get settled or even with genuine problems in their lives - perhaps they would back off and stop it with the arrogance and in-yer-face confrontation, presumptions, etc.

The good thing is . . . all the friends I have made b/c of this forum. And I don't mean casual friends! I mean - absolute "love you like a family member" friends. It has been wonderful and so I feel like I am losing my playground when things no longer seem like that great place where we all gather and have some FUN!!! We have shared touching moments, held hands through scary stuff, helped each other out with mundane questions and innovative solutions . . . complained together, learned together . . . disagreed but had fun disagreeing . . . laughed til we spewed coffee on our keyboards . . . and I just hate to see that disappear.

It's like we have all been on the playground together, getting along very welll and then several folks show up in the middle of our softball game and start playing kick the can between second base and the pitcher's mound, lol.

Thank you again, Orangeish. You have been a terrific addition to this forum. I've had a wonderful time playing on the same playground with you, LOL!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,709,724 times
Things must really be getting bad for Ani to consider throwing in the towel.
Don't let them get to you , if this spot ever had an equalizer , it is you.
Sad , though , we depart form HS only to end up as older teens.
There is another forum.....

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,116,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know how you feel.

I also know you are trying to make things better.

My frustration has NOTHING to do with you at all, Sunny. And I fully understand why you are trying to figure out a way to keep folks from sounding disparaging.

My frustration is that if you will notice, not that many natives are even posting here anymore and that means a lot of info that is being posted these days is either inaccurate or misleading - or based on speculation rather than the knowledge that comes from living here a long time and learning the history of the area - whether this is about how the city developed, why decisions were made, why folks react to weather as they do, or about what to plant come Spring.

I don't feel I can post the facts any more without being jumped on by some of our "newcomer" from the NE members.

For ex - we had a bobcats thread. A few natives tried to post in response to the OP's questions about why the bobcats don't get supported here. Some of us tried to explain it - we were HERE and we KNOW what happened and we know how the longtime residents who do not support the bobcats feel about it. Dang if it didn't turn into several of the newcomers turning it into all kinds of other "reasons," including racism. And I felt absolutely insulted over some of the remarks, so much so that I decided - screw it. The facts are - by and large, the bobcats are NOT supported by natives - they are supported by newcomers who are hungry for professional sports. The natives feel like we got robbed of our team. Anyway, I thought about that and decided - well - I guess it is a good thing that the newcomers want to support the bobcats (since we got stuck with them) - since the natives sure the heck are not going to.

But if you can see what I am saying . . . this is just another example of how the influx of newcomers has made it impossible for the natives to have our voices heard - we are totally outnumbered. And we get disparaged on top of it - b/c we are not "progressive" enough. Well, if that is true, then that must be the way we liked it here for several hundred years.

That bobcats thread, along with several others that completely twist stuff around to promote some agenda that a newcomer has had really turned me off. For three years, I have kept this forum up on my desktop. Now, I don't even necessarily check in and read the forum every day. And usually when I do, I end up with my blood pressure going up b/c of the nonsense I see published - so much incorrect info in posts or blatantly non-Southern junk . . . I am feeling kinda "done" myself.

I think the demographics of Charlotte have drastically changed and frankly, I think the demographics of this forum have changed and the contentious, smark alecky and condescending crap I read when I do log on has made it pretty clear that a lot of people in this town have no respect for the folks who have been here for generations . . . which has had everything to do with my decision not only to cut back on CD forum time but also to move out of Charlotte as soon as the market makes an uptick.

It may be a minority of folks who come on with biases against anything Southern and with these inflated ideas that they have "rescued Charlotte" (yes, that is what some of these folks actually have stated on more than one occasion) . . . but they are the same people who have created a lot of unpleasantries in neighborhoods, workplaces, and even in stores. Heck, I don't even enjoy shopping here anymore!!! (There is a recent story I could relay about how a "newcomer" totally ruined any enjoyment I might have found during my last shopping excursion).

The sad thing is . . . most folks who have moved here are just wanting to live a good life, make friends and become part of the life of this region. But it is amazing how just a few contentious know-it-alls can make it pretty miserable for the everyone around them.

The only reason I have continued to log on here is b/c I find it amusing that these same folks have a theme - they can't figure out why no one is nice to them, hee hee. They are so ingrained in what they evidently believe is acceptable behavior (and wh/ is fly-in-your-face RUDE by Southern standards) that they honestly do not realize that the reason their neighbors shun them and the folks where they volunteer go run and hide is b/c they are OBNOXIOUS. It seems they cannot connect it . . .

Anyway, I have other stuff I need to be spending my time on anyway . . . and since I believe that in any endeavor, it is wise to realize when your "useful life" is essentially over, just seems to me perhaps this forum needs to go its way . . . and I need to go mine.

Not expecting any response from anyone on this . . . just stating my overall disappointment with how things have evolved on this forum - and that has very little to do with moderation and everything to do with who chooses to post here.
Wow Ani. I hope you guys don't mind me coming on your chat thread but I was looking for some info on Sandy's daughter. Glad by the way she at least knows what it might be and can get some help.

I have been coming on this forum, before it was split up since 2006. We got a lot of helpful information about moving. Even back then they had some nasties. They are all pretty much gone now. What I have noticed is the rudeness and personal attacks are much more common then they used to be. I've been on pretty much all weekend since I've been stuck in the house. And quite a few threads on all of NC have been just mean. At times I wanted to respond but just didn't have it in me to get involved and get "yelled" at. It amazes me that even threads about the weather and Sunny's eating snow can get nasty.

I also would hate to see you leave here. You add so much and have so much advice to offer. I know many people appreciate it. But I agree that it is more times than not a downer. It's too bad. I left for awhile but looking for some information brought me back. Who knows. Maybe it's time to leave again.

You are lucky in Charlotte. You have the meet-ups and look like you all have fun. So I hope you stay Ani. You got a good group here. And maybe I'll still pop over. You know the Triad forum is pretty boring.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,929,989 times
mornin all....

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,392,966 times
Morning all...school opens on time in Fort Mill. It's raining down here but relatively warm. Only good thing is that DS's National SC Junior Scholar Award ceremony in Rock Hill is on tonight. He makes me proud that little one! Drive safe everyone who will be on the road!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM

13,177 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Wow Ani. I hope you guys don't mind me coming on your chat thread but I was looking for some info on Sandy's daughter. Glad by the way she at least knows what it might be and can get some help.

I have been coming on this forum, before it was split up since 2006. We got a lot of helpful information about moving. Even back then they had some nasties. They are all pretty much gone now. What I have noticed is the rudeness and personal attacks are much more common then they used to be. I've been on pretty much all weekend since I've been stuck in the house. And quite a few threads on all of NC have been just mean. At times I wanted to respond but just didn't have it in me to get involved and get "yelled" at. It amazes me that even threads about the weather and Sunny's eating snow can get nasty.

I also would hate to see you leave here. You add so much and have so much advice to offer. I know many people appreciate it. But I agree that it is more times than not a downer. It's too bad. I left for awhile but looking for some information brought me back. Who knows. Maybe it's time to leave again.

You are lucky in Charlotte. You have the meet-ups and look like you all have fun. So I hope you stay Ani. You got a good group here. And maybe I'll still pop over. You know the Triad forum is pretty boring.
You're welcome here.

I know what you mean about the Triad board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.