U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: east of my daughter-north of my son
1,928 posts, read 1,866,769 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If some still exists, go through & verify it.

Someone had researched a friend's mother's line. What was passed down was that an ancestor received a land grant from the King of England (This was colonial NJ). She started verifying it. Yes, indeed, he got a grant from the King. He got a grant to operate a "bawdy house".
My sisters actually do remember more than I do. And I will check and see how far my sister got in her class what information she found.

My husband has always wanted to check on his lineage. There was always talk in the family about some unsavory "rascals" in the family and horse thievery and hangings. Seem much more interesting than mine might be. But not as stately as yours!

 
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,043 posts, read 10,710,558 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
My sisters actually do remember more than I do. And I will check and see how far my sister got in her class what information she found.

My husband has always wanted to check on his lineage. There was always talk in the family about some unsavory "rascals" in the family and horse thievery and hangings. Seem much more interesting than mine might be. But not as stately as yours!
LOL, trust me, over all, mine is anything but stately.

I found something about another branch of a different line who were circus people. I agree, a few horse thieves makes it more interesting.

Take a recording device & have your sisters tell what they remember. That makes it easier to transcribe it.
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,019 posts, read 37,993,240 times
Reputation: 16881
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
New Cuban Restaurant?? Please let me know so I can forward the info the ex. He'll be excited to try it..I've had soooo much yum yum cuban food here that I'm getting tired of it..Time to take a break for now...That way I miss it and then attack it again!
Okay, here is the tiny bit of info that was posted in another thread:

Helen Schwab: New Thai, Cuban getting close

I will make the trek to get some good Cuban food!
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,019 posts, read 37,993,240 times
Reputation: 16881
CATRICK & SOUTHBOUND: I really won't be surprised if SB's ancestors and mine knew each other. Now, 20 years ago, I would have been, but over the years, the strange little connections I have made between families (especially family members who moved from this region and located in other states) continue to fascinate and delight me. I have run across so many interesting tidbits at this point, tho, that nothing much surprises me anymore. Exciting, interesting . . . but few surprises.

I was talking to a client, who grew up in KY, and relocated NC 4 years ago . . . and it turns out he is very into genealogy.

Now, keep in mind, he has never lived in NC, and none of his family has lived in NC - since the 18th Century.

He just threw it out there that at one point - his gggggrandfather had relocated to a county in NC (and later left). And he mentioned that his gggggrandfather had fought at King's Mountain . . . and it hit me . . . wooooaaaahhhh . . . one of my gggggrandfather's was also from that county and had fought at King's Mountain . . .

And before long, we had discussed our patriots and found out they had served under the same General . . .

I came back home, spent some time that weekend sorting thru/ info, and from what I can ascertain, these two gentlemen not only knew each other, it appears their land was very close to one another's. And they doubtless fought side by side at King's Mountain.

I am sure if we do some more digging on deeds and wills, we will one day establish that the men and their families knew each other well - both Scots and both into lumber mills - and both fought and survived the Battle of King's Mountain.

It won't surprise me if we find that somewhere along the line, descendants may have even married, as some of his relatives had moved after the Rev War to TN and some of mine did, too.
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: east of my daughter-north of my son
1,928 posts, read 1,866,769 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, trust me, over all, mine is anything but stately.

I found something about another branch of a different line who were circus people. I agree, a few horse thieves makes it more interesting.

Take a recording device & have your sisters tell what they remember. That makes it easier to transcribe it.
Circus isn't bad at all!!! And that's a good idea about recording their thoughts and memories. Thanks!
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,043 posts, read 10,710,558 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CATRICK & SOUTHBOUND: I really won't be surprised if SB's ancestors and mine knew each other. Now, 20 years ago, I would have been, but over the years, the strange little connections I have made between families (especially family members who moved from this region and located in other states) continue to fascinate and delight me. I have run across so many interesting tidbits at this point, tho, that nothing much surprises me anymore. Exciting, interesting . . . but few surprises.

I was talking to a client, who grew up in KY, and relocated NC 4 years ago . . . and it turns out he is very into genealogy.

Now, keep in mind, he has never lived in NC, and none of his family has lived in NC - since the 18th Century.

He just threw it out there that at one point - his gggggrandfather had relocated to a county in NC (and later left). And he mentioned that his gggggrandfather had fought at King's Mountain . . . and it hit me . . . wooooaaaahhhh . . . one of my gggggrandfather's was also from that county and had fought at King's Mountain . . .

And before long, we had discussed our patriots and found out they had served under the same General . . .

I came back home, spent some time that weekend sorting thru/ info, and from what I can ascertain, these two gentlemen not only knew each other, it appears their land was very close to one another's. And they doubtless fought side by side at King's Mountain.

I am sure if we do some more digging on deeds and wills, we will one day establish that the men and their families knew each other well - both Scots and both into lumber mills - and both fought and survived the Battle of King's Mountain.

It won't surprise me if we find that somewhere along the line, descendants may have even married, as some of his relatives had moved after the Rev War to TN and some of mine did, too.
LOL, Ani, a different one of my ancestors filed for a Revolutionary War pension & claimed to be at Kings Mountain. John North Sr. was living in Georgia, & unfortunately, the commanding officer who he named was not on the "official" list, as was the case with many of the officers from Georgia, since it was pretty much frontier at the time.

I've known several people, over the years, whose ancestors lived very near some of mine. My best friend in South Jersey started me on doing genealogy & as it turned out, we are very distantly related.

I strongly suspect that the man who I told you about, who went to Ohio, was one of yours, Ani. Both families had come down from PA, & NC-born descendants went to Ohio.
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,043 posts, read 10,710,558 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Circus isn't bad at all!!! And that's a good idea about recording their thoughts and memories. Thanks!
You're welcome! No sense getting writer's cramp when you can record & then transcribe at your leisure.
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM
 
Location: east of my daughter-north of my son
1,928 posts, read 1,866,769 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Ani, a different one of my ancestors filed for a Revolutionary War pension & claimed to be at Kings Mountain. John North Sr. was living in Georgia, & unfortunately, the commanding officer who he named was not on the "official" list, as was the case with many of the officers from Georgia, since it was pretty much frontier at the time.

I've known several people, over the years, whose ancestors lived very near some of mine. My best friend in South Jersey started me on doing genealogy & as it turned out, we are very distantly related.

I strongly suspect that the man who I told you about, who went to Ohio, was one of yours, Ani. Both families had come down from PA, & NC-born descendants went to Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CATRICK & SOUTHBOUND: I really won't be surprised if SB's ancestors and mine knew each other. Now, 20 years ago, I would have been, but over the years, the strange little connections I have made between families (especially family members who moved from this region and located in other states) continue to fascinate and delight me. I have run across so many interesting tidbits at this point, tho, that nothing much surprises me anymore. Exciting, interesting . . . but few surprises.

I was talking to a client, who grew up in KY, and relocated NC 4 years ago . . . and it turns out he is very into genealogy.

Now, keep in mind, he has never lived in NC, and none of his family has lived in NC - since the 18th Century.

He just threw it out there that at one point - his gggggrandfather had relocated to a county in NC (and later left). And he mentioned that his gggggrandfather had fought at King's Mountain . . . and it hit me . . . wooooaaaahhhh . . . one of my gggggrandfather's was also from that county and had fought at King's Mountain . . .

And before long, we had discussed our patriots and found out they had served under the same General . . .

I came back home, spent some time that weekend sorting thru/ info, and from what I can ascertain, these two gentlemen not only knew each other, it appears their land was very close to one another's. And they doubtless fought side by side at King's Mountain.

I am sure if we do some more digging on deeds and wills, we will one day establish that the men and their families knew each other well - both Scots and both into lumber mills - and both fought and survived the Battle of King's Mountain.

It won't surprise me if we find that somewhere along the line, descendants may have even married, as some of his relatives had moved after the Rev War to TN and some of mine did, too.
I love this!! I wish I knew more about my heritage. I do have information on my Dad's parents and grandparents. That would be the easiest to check I suspect. I need to work on this.

I also remembered that my great-great-grandfather was a drummer boy in the Civil War. Unfortunately that was in the information my grandmother burned. So I will get with my sisters to pick their brains.

I just don't remember either set of grandparents talking much about heritage. But they were much older when I came along and while I was fortunate to have them growing up, they all died when I was in my late teens. I wish I would have known to ask questions.

Another thing. My Dad was in WWII. He never talked about it to us. All the info we had came from my Mom. But in the year before his death he talked a lot about his service to the aides that helped him. We found out a lot from them that we never knew. One thing that got us was he was in the Coast Guard on a destroyer escort and they were in the convoy that escorted the USS Indianapolis. They also captured a German sub in the North Atlantic. We eventually found out more researching the ship he was on, but we wish he told us more. Of course we respected he didn't want to talk about it.

Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming!
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,043 posts, read 10,710,558 times
Reputation: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I love this!! I wish I knew more about my heritage. I do have information on my Dad's parents and grandparents. That would be the easiest to check I suspect. I need to work on this.

I also remembered that my great-great-grandfather was a drummer boy in the Civil War. Unfortunately that was in the information my grandmother burned. So I will get with my sisters to pick their brains.

I just don't remember either set of grandparents talking much about heritage. But they were much older when I came along and while I was fortunate to have them growing up, they all died when I was in my late teens. I wish I would have known to ask questions.

Another thing. My Dad was in WWII. He never talked about it to us. All the info we had came from my Mom. But in the year before his death he talked a lot about his service to the aides that helped him. We found out a lot from them that we never knew. One thing that got us was he was in the Coast Guard on a destroyer escort and they were in the convoy that escorted the USS Indianapolis. They also captured a German sub in the North Atlantic. We eventually found out more researching the ship he was on, but we wish he told us more. Of course we respected he didn't want to talk about it.

Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming!
Try this Civil War Soldiers and Sailor System
 
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: east of my daughter-north of my son
1,928 posts, read 1,866,769 times
Reputation: 873
Thanks SB! I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top