U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,067,499 times
Reputation: 1062

Advertisements

So ChiC, I just read that in China they eat cicada bugs, ewww!

Just wondering if you were brave and tried something or did you steer clear of anything that didn't look normal?

One of the gals I worked with, one time on one of her trips to China for work they went to a restaurant that had a tank of snakes. She is deathly afraid of snakes and ran out of the restaurant. So one of the guys convinced her to come back in as not to be rude, she said if they take the snakes out I'll try anything else. The tank of snakes were moved outside and as promised she tried anything, it was a cooked cockroach!

 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
So ChiC, I just read that in China they eat cicada bugs, ewww!

Just wondering if you were brave and tried something or did you steer clear of anything that didn't look normal?

One of the gals I worked with, one time on one of her trips to China for work they went to a restaurant that had a tank of snakes. She is deathly afraid of snakes and ran out of the restaurant. So one of the guys convinced her to come back in as not to be rude, she said if they take the snakes out I'll try anything else. The tank of snakes were moved outside and as promised she tried anything, it was a cooked cockroach!
Yes, Nancy, when I say that they do not waste ANYTHING, that is serious. They do eat bugs of all kinds...thankfully, I was never in a position to refuse...they did try to serve me some form of intestines in a hot pot...I just did not eat them. Two of the girls on the trip ate them and one was sick for two days.....We did eat the sprouts from spring onions....you know, the green bits that the onion grows on???
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,067,499 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, Nancy, when I say that they do not waste ANYTHING, that is serious. They do eat bugs of all kinds...thankfully, I was never in a position to refuse...they did try to serve me some form of intestines in a hot pot...I just did not eat them. Two of the girls on the trip ate them and one was sick for two days.....We did eat the sprouts from spring onions....you know, the green bits that the onion grows on???
I could probably do the spouts from the onions, I would have passed on the intestines soup also. My neighborhood friends mom always made Menudo, I tasted it once but just knowing what it is, can't do it. One of the guys I worked with packed food when he went and practally lived at the closest McDonalds.
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Well Hello everybody . Been away most of the summer and just checking back in . Ani, it looks like I missed your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I've only read back a few pages, but I haven't seen my pal Brian. He must be away.
We had a lovely summer visiting St. Thomas, Savannah, Florida and, of course, the Jersey Shore. I sent the kids back to school Tuesday and miss them terribly. I have to remember to be careful what I ask for!!!
I hope everyone is well. I missed you guys and thought of alot of you every time I had a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich or 'hit the boards.' I won't annoy my Southern friends by talking about how good the pizza was. It's nice to be home.
Hey Doorway...Welcome Back!! Glad to hear you had a lovely summer. I'll bet the pizza was very good & you're wishing you had a slice right about now
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hi everyone. I just wanted to drop a quick line. Made it down to Miami. Very long drive and of course, almost died numerous times in Miami already with all the crazy drivers. HUMID HUMID HUMID..So jealous that fall will be starting soon for you guys..

My time in NC was nice. I'll definately be up there to vist my great neighbors and friends I made..
Glad to hear you made it to Miami safe & sound. Maybe when you make a trip back for a visit we can schedule a CD Reunion. Good Luck to you in FL!
 
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
himain, glad you made it back and will soon be enjoying the good food you missed

I'm stuck up here in NY but the good thing is summer has gone from here - the humidity is very low and the temps in the low 70's. Feels like someone turned on the air conditioning outside!
Hey loves, where in NY are you stuck?? The humidity in NYC can be downright ugly in Aug. Temps in the low 70's, ahhhh!!! Perfect! I hope the weather holds out for us when we go up for a quick visit next month.
 
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Hey loves, where in NY are you stuck?? The humidity in NYC can be downright ugly in Aug. Temps in the low 70's, ahhhh!!! Perfect! I hope the weather holds out for us when we go up for a quick visit next month.
I'm up in Syracuse - it's not humid here at all like it is in NYC.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Reputation: 2323
mornin' all. entirely too early to get up on a Sat morning.

dogs to vet...

work 9am to 2 pm

HOMEWORK
 
Old 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,470 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, Nancy, when I say that they do not waste ANYTHING, that is serious. They do eat bugs of all kinds...thankfully, I was never in a position to refuse...they did try to serve me some form of intestines in a hot pot...I just did not eat them. Two of the girls on the trip ate them and one was sick for two days.....We did eat the sprouts from spring onions....you know, the green bits that the onion grows on???
When my husband went to China he was determined to try lots of "different" foods. He tried the scorpion, starfish, donkey and a few others. He is pretty adventurous and really wanted to embrace experiencing another culture. One of the things I like most about him. I probably would not have tried quite as much as he did. Maybe with a few of their beers, which he said were like moonshine.
 
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
When my husband went to China he was determined to try lots of "different" foods. He tried the scorpion, starfish, donkey and a few others. He is pretty adventurous and really wanted to embrace experiencing another culture. One of the things I like most about him. I probably would not have tried quite as much as he did. Maybe with a few of their beers, which he said were like moonshine.
there were folks in our group who were of the same mind. I am somewhat squeamish and could not do that. Plus, I did not want to offend my Chinese hosts and I am certain that an errant expression on my face would have easily done so. I stuck to the offerings of vegetables with some meat mixed in, assuming that the tiny shreds of meat, if they were "weird" would not do any particular harm.

besides, everything was drenched in garlic and other spices, so, I would not have tasted anything out of the way. However, when I SAW the intestines, that is where I drew the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top