U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 PM

21,898 posts, read 27,173,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
You'll have to let us know what your sister says. I love doing genealogy research. In CA DH's aunts neighbor (whew) just so happened to be in our local genealogy chapter (she was pretty much a pro & taught newcomers), so I joined and wouldn't you know, I lost my job! She didn't work so she and I would pack a lunch and get to the Laguna archives at 8AM, took a 15 min lunch and left at 4:30 when they closed. It was a blast pulling up census's. I had a little chat with my mom after pulling up the 1920 census of my great grandparents as it was taken in Jan, my grandmother was born in May and the months of marriage didn't quite add up right.
ROFL!!! after all of these years, she tucked her tail between her legs & asked me to tell her the results when I get to the gene people.

Nancy, I love a good hunt through the censuses & other records. I used to go to the regional archives (NARA) in Philly & go from census reel to census reel. I have several things that I want to hunt down in NC, SC, & GA colonial records.

There was a lot of that marriage-date-to-birth-date-not-quite-adding-up when you start digging.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,069,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFL!!! after all of these years, she tucked her tail between her legs & asked me to tell her the results when I get to the gene people.

Nancy, I love a good hunt through the censuses & other records. I used to go to the regional archives (NARA) in Philly & go from census reel to census reel. I have several things that I want to hunt down in NC, SC, & GA colonial records.

There was a lot of that marriage-date-to-birth-date-not-quite-adding-up when you start digging.
I really need to finish my research regarding my American Indian heritage. I was always told I was Commanche and when I was 12 I received a letter in school regarding my indian heritage and my mother didn't think I had enough to claim and now that I am doing research I believe I did. Of course I contacted the school and they had done away with the program and didn't have any records. I am sure if I dig around some more I'll find something.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I really need to finish my research regarding my American Indian heritage. I was always told I was Commanche and when I was 12 I received a letter in school regarding my indian heritage and my mother didn't think I had enough to claim and now that I am doing research I believe I did. Of course I contacted the school and they had done away with the program and didn't have any records. I am sure if I dig around some more I'll find something.
That's usually difficult to find, unless you get lucky. I have Leni Lenape (Delaware) & I'm pretty certain of Mohawk. Now there is a good possibilty of one or more other tribes, just not certain. People lied about it for years.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
That's usually difficult to find, unless you get lucky. I have Leni Lenape (Delaware) & I'm pretty certain of Mohawk. Now there is a good possibilty of one or more other tribes, just not certain. People lied about it for years.
My indian lineage comes from Texas, the 3 main tribes were the Commanche, Apache and Kiowa. I was told that I was related to the great Commanche Chief Quanah Parker but I did get his geneaology chart from Fort Parker and cannot make a connection. Apparently 1/2 of Texas claims this. Quanah's mother was white, she was kidnapped by the Commanche's when she was 9.

I know I do have indian in me and you can definatly see it in my face. In fact, just the other day someone asked if I had American Indian in me, the high check bones give it away everytime.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
My indian lineage comes from Texas, the 3 main tribes were the Commanche, Apache and Kiowa. I was told that I was related to the great Commanche Chief Quanah Parker but I did get his geneaology chart from Fort Parker and cannot make a connection. Apparently 1/2 of Texas claims this. Quanah's mother was white, she was kidnapped by the Commanche's when she was 9.

I know I do have indian in me and you can definatly see it in my face. In fact, just the other day someone asked if I had American Indian in me, the high check bones give it away everytime.
Oh, I know. There are several characteristics that are dead giveaways.

Have you found Civil War enlistment papers for that family? Those physical descriptions are very telling.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. There are several characteristics that are dead giveaways.

Have you found Civil War enlistment papers for that family? Those physical descriptions are very telling.
No, I haven't. That sounds pretty interesting. We may have to get together for a little geneaology chat.

Here is the story of Quanah and Cynthia Ann.

Quanah Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cynthia Ann Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although this is the Sutton family, in the 2nd paragraph it tells the story of The Riggs family. The 9 year old Rhoda who was taken by indians was my gg grandmother and my ggg grandparents murdered by indians. I have the family story written by her oldest brother.
Jesse Sutton - CSA

Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,111,325 times
mornin' all....quick hi...trust test today, so, have just logged on quickly to say hi
Please pray that I do well!

also, pray for Victoria Martinsen, the little 6 year old that is loosing her battle with cancer. We just need a miracle now.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't. That sounds pretty interesting. We may have to get together for a little geneaology chat.

Here is the story of Quanah and Cynthia Ann.

Quanah Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cynthia Ann Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although this is the Sutton family, in the 2nd paragraph it tells the story of The Riggs family. The 9 year old Rhoda who was taken by indians was my gg grandmother and my ggg grandparents murdered by indians. I have the family story written by her oldest brother.
Jesse Sutton - CSA
Nancy, there is a huge Sutton family that spread from New England to North Carolina, then they started moving west. One branch married into my Ivens family in South Jersey, that's how I know about them. Your Suttons probably tie into the same batch.

We definitely have to talk some genealogy. Ani does it too.

Have you been using Heritage Quest? I just went & got a library card today so that I can use it, since I'm not exactly going to be running any races for the next month or so. I used to use it with my library card in NJ.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Nancy, there is a huge Sutton family that spread from New England to North Carolina, then they started moving west. One branch married into my Ivens family in South Jersey, that's how I know about them. Your Suttons probably tie into the same batch.

We definitely have to talk some genealogy. Ani does it too.

Have you been using Heritage Quest? I just went & got a library card today so that I can use it, since I'm not exactly going to be running any races for the next month or so. I used to use it with my library card in NJ.
No, I haven't used Heritage Quest, guess I'll have to break down and get a library card.

It was late last night and I didn't clarify very well. I am related to The Riggs family not the Suttons in this story. I'll have to search my index to see if I have any Suttons. It's been a while since I've done anything. I would love a genealogy chat.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't used Heritage Quest, guess I'll have to break down and get a library card.

It was late last night and I didn't clarify very well. I am related to The Riggs family not the Suttons in this story. I'll have to search my index to see if I have any Suttons. It's been a while since I've done anything. I would love a genealogy chat.
I knew of a guy who was doing Riggs, but he died several years ago. Do you have yours back to VA?

Get the library card. You can access Heritage Quest from home, with the card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte