U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:49 PM

587 posts, read 1,436,583 times

Advertisements

lovesmountains - actually I don't think up near the lake is going to work - found out husband's potential job is in South Charlotte so that commute would be too long. I realize we'd have to adjust our expectations in Dilworth or Myers Park, but I don't think I'd mind the trade-off (as stlterp said - maybe 50% less house, but gaining the walkability, quaint older homes, etc.). I've looked a little at some real estate listings for that area and it looks like we might be able to get 2000 sq. ft for $500 - 550K? Does that seem about right for MP/Dilworth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
lovesmountains - actually I don't think up near the lake is going to work - found out husband's potential job is in South Charlotte so that commute would be too long. I realize we'd have to adjust our expectations in Dilworth or Myers Park, but I don't think I'd mind the trade-off (as stlterp said - maybe 50% less house, but gaining the walkability, quaint older homes, etc.). I've looked a little at some real estate listings for that area and it looks like we might be able to get 2000 sq. ft for $500 - 550K? Does that seem about right for MP/Dilworth?
You are right - if your husband's job is in south Charlotte, you do not want to live up by the lake!

Yes, you could find about 1800 to 2000 square feet for around $500,000 - but not really in the heart of Myers Park. Those listings you are looking at are either way on the fringes of Myers Park and some are being falsely advertized as Myers Park and aren't in Myers Park at all!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Default this link may be of interest to some looking at schools in Charlotte...

College prep lags at CMS urban schools - CharlotteObserver.com

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,952,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
.... but gaining the walkability, quaint older homes, etc.). I've looked a little at some real estate listings for that area and it looks like we might be able to get 2000 sq. ft for $500 - 550K? Does that seem about right for MP/Dilworth?
I might be missing something here, but MP is not very walkable and was never really designed as such. After Eastover was built with the idea of keeping out anyone that didn't have a car, Myers Park adopted it as well. In those days, only the rich had cars and building neighborhoods that catered exclusively to the car was a way to separate out the rest of the lesser classes. Unfortunately over the last 10 years, many of the elegant quaint homes have been torn down and replaced by McMansions. Also much of the surrounding area that is incorrectly referred to as Myers Park is actually Myers Park Manor and was built much much later in the 50s, 60s and 70s, and the homes are of the style from that period.

Dilworth, IMO isn't that walkable either, (and I used to live there) but it does have homes that haven't changed due to the historic restrictions on that neighborhood. The risk you take in Dilworth vs MP is that it is more subject to price declines if the market continues to fall, and my guess is this will be dependant directly upon what eventually happens to banking employment in this city. The areas that had the highest run up will have the highest fall and you don't want to be on that side of the curve. (unless you don't care because you really want to live there long term then it doesn't matter.

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-31-2009 at 05:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 AM

830 posts, read 1,319,321 times
Agree that MP isn't very walkable, but Dilworth can be...depending on your proximity to East Blvd (and South, to a lesser extent) From what I've seen, most of the price decreases in Dilworth have come on new construction built outside of the historic district (which also represented a lot of the price runup in previous years) I don't get the sense that Dilworth or MP (or Elizabeth for that matter) had crazy, unsustainable price increases.

As for MP, yeah, a lot of the stuff in the $500-550K price range will be ranch style homes south of Freedom park, towards Woodlawn. Nice areas, but even in that price range, probably not much in the way of updates.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,546,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are right - if your husband's job is in south Charlotte, you do not want to live up by the lake!

Yes, you could find about 1800 to 2000 square feet for around $500,000 - but not really in the heart of Myers Park. Those listings you are looking at are either way on the fringes of Myers Park and some are being falsely advertized as Myers Park and aren't in Myers Park at all!
What area are you talking about that are advertised as MP but actually arent in MP at all?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
What area are you talking about that are advertised as MP but actually arent in MP at all?
I have seen houses off of Selwyn on the south side of Runnymeade try to call themselves Myers Park.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I have seen houses off of Selwyn on the south side of Runnymeade try to call themselves Myers Park.
I was actually looking at some houses in that area. That area seems nice though and a little bit more affordable.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I was actually looking at some houses in that area. That area seems nice though and a little bit more affordable.
It is a nice area It's just not right to call it Myers Park. People are just trying to glam on to the Myers Park name to increase their desirability.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It is a nice area It's just not right to call it Myers Park. People are just trying to glam on to the Myers Park name to increase their desirability.
Lol, I guess myers park just has a nice sound to it.
Most of the real estate websites call it Myers Park subdivision except Trulia. They call it Barclay Downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or