U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:30 PM

587 posts, read 1,432,942 times

Advertisements

Considering a possible job in Charlotte and wondering about the public schools for Elizabeth, Dilworth, Myers Park. My husband and I went to great public schools growing up and don't want to pay out of pocket for private, but we don't want to be relegated to the suburbs. I like what I see in Elizabeth, Dilworth, Myers Park and am wondering what the public schools are like? My kids are 11 and 14, so middle school and high school are my main concerns. Thanks so much for any info and/or opinions. If you think those schools are not good, then any suggestions for where to look with a similar vibe but great schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,820 times
With Dilworth or Myers Park you should be fine. You probably want to be sure (as sure as you can with CMS schools, as they do rezone!) that you are zoned for AG Middle School and Myers Park High school. Both are very well respected and, as public schools go in CMS, considered top.
Be aware that they are very large schools. That is a problem for some kids. But, for the most part, they are 2 schools that people literally uproot their families for...to get into that feeder system.
Hope this helps--
T

Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,927,664 times
There is no zoning for schools in Mecklenburg county. it is one large school district and the local school board is free to reassign students, at will, to where ever they like, subject to various court orders barring certain criteria for doing so. This was highlighted exactly just this new school year in Mint Hill. A new high school opened there which the town supported by encouraging people to vote for the bonds to pay for it. Now that it has opened, CMS decided to put a number of Mint Hill students to East Meck due to balancing issues. i.e. it's located in Mint Hill, but it isn't a Mint Hill school.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 AM

If we were to buy in the Dilworth or Myers Park area, what are the chances they would re-zone and my kids would have to go to not-so-good schools vs. the really good schools we had purchased our higher-price- per sq. ft- home in order to get into?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,315,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
If we were to buy in the Dilworth or Myers Park area, what are the chances they would re-zone and my kids would have to go to not-so-good schools vs. the really good schools we had purchased our higher-price- per sq. ft- home in order to get into?
IMHO, not that likely, given the economic and political pull of those living in the neighborhoods mentioned. Realtors like to stretch the definition of Dilworth and Myers Park, but generally should be fine...obviously anything can happen, but when they are talking about re-zoning MP to send some kids to East Meck, I highly doubt that Myers Park and Dilworth proper will be impacted. There will be a decision in a month or two...

Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,312,135 times
Quote:
A colleague of mine lives or is zoned for Myers Park and will possibly be rezoned to East Meck. She was called a racist because she opposed this.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
A colleague of mine lives or is zoned for Myers Park and will possibly be rezoned to East Meck. She was called a racist because she opposed this.

And that is important to this discussion . . . how?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your input - very, very helpful!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,336,506 times
Quote:
Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your input - very, very helpful!
Just making sure...looks like you've decided to switch from looking in Myers Park or Dilworth to up near the lake? In your price range that's probably wise - $400-500,000 won't get you the square footage you said you want in MP or Dilworth, just FYI

Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,315,583 times
Most of Dilworth and MP is zoned for Alexander Graham Middle (AG), which is also very highly thought of...and right next to MPHS. We're actually much closer to Sedgefield Middle, but currently zoned for AG.

My personal opinion is that whatever schools Dilworth and Myers Park areas get zoned for will be fine; you have a lot of well-educated parents who are very involved toin their kids' schooling - and enough of a critical mass to make a difference at any school.

In making our decision, schools were a factor...but more important was the neighborhood. Proximity, walkability, historic feel, etc. We probably got 50%+ less house than we would have further out (even in areas with good/great schools like South Meck HS/Providence/Ardrey Kell HS areas) but have not regretted it for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or