Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, shoot. Surely I was not the only person in CLT to be up and at home. It was very gentle and I think most folks would not have even noticed it. I have been tracking earthquake activity since I got online in late 93, wh/ was not long before the Northridge earthquake hit in the Los Angeles area. So I notice such things.
Ah, Northridge. I was living in Santa Ana where it was felt but I actually slept through it.

Hopefully we won't have any more quakes around here, little or big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,794,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ah, Northridge. I was living in Santa Ana where it was felt but I actually slept through it.

Hopefully we won't have any more quakes around here, little or big.
LOL, I lived in Yorba Linda, we were neighbors! I loved old towne Orange.

Anywho, were you in Santa Ana during the Landers and Big Bear quakes? The Landers quake hit first 7.3 at just about 5 AM and then at 8AM the Big Bear quake hit, a 6.4! We had only lived in our house a month or two. The noise of the Landers quake woke us up before we felt it. You know you're half asleep asking yourself what that noise is and then your house gets the peejeeber's shook out of it. We have heard a few before they actually hit, just a big rumble noise.

We definatly felt the Northridge quake too, a 6.7. How did you sleep through that?

My friend said the one they had a year ago July in Yorba Linda, which was centered there was the most violent one she's felt and actually shook her up. The house had a couple cracks inside after that one.

As I've said before, earthquakes also have different feels to them depending on how the earth is shifting. Some are very violent where it just feels like someone has picked up your house and is just shaking it, others are a shifting feel where you feel like you are going one way and the ground is going the other way. Some have a rolling motion to them, some are bumpy. Some of the smaller one's would make me lose my equalibrium. I'd be sitting at work and get dizzy all of a sudden, so I would look up above and sure enough the light would be swaying. It's just an odd feeling and those larger one's, they hit and just when you think it can't get stonger, it does, it's an oh s_ _ t moment and those are the longest 15 or 20 seconds. You always question yourself, is it the big one?

DH and I didn't feel this one, sorry Ani.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM

169 posts, read 472,970 times
I was up at 6:30 a.m., reading the paper on the couch and didn't feel anything. I think I hadn't turned the news on yet either so it was quiet. I'm in Indian Trail though, maybe it was too far from here. We did have a small earthquake years ago in Maryland and my husband was in the basement and felt it. We paid for earthquake insurance for years after that. Should I get some now?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,497,633 times
I was awake..well barely, but I left my house at 6:41am so I was probably getting dressed at 6:30. I didn't feel it either.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
I was up at 6:30 a.m., reading the paper on the couch and didn't feel anything. I think I hadn't turned the news on yet either so it was quiet. I'm in Indian Trail though, maybe it was too far from here. We did have a small earthquake years ago in Maryland and my husband was in the basement and felt it. We paid for earthquake insurance for years after that. Should I get some now?
We didn't even have earthquake insurance in CA. I wouldn't waste your money. Here's a little info from an article.

"The deductibles are too high." This is particularly the case for earthquake insurance, which typically has a 10% to 15% deductible. That means you have to pay the first $20,000 to $30,000 of damage on a home insured for $200,000 before your coverage would kick in. Deductibles are usually 2% for windstorm coverage (or $4,000 on the $200,000 home), although they range from 1% to 15% of the insured value of the house. Federal flood insurance comes with a much lower deductible, $500 to $1,000.

"The coverage is too limited." Bare-bones CEA earthquake policies -- the kind Sheth had in San Diego -- cover only $5,000 in damage for all the contents of your home and dont cover swimming pools, landscaping or outbuildings. Additional coverage can be purchased for a higher premium

Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
I didn't feel it, but I'm curious, about which fault line was involved.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
[quote=nascarnancy;10528927]LOL, I lived in Yorba Linda, we were neighbors! I loved old towne Orange.

Anywho, were you in Santa Ana during the Landers and Big Bear quakes? The Landers quake hit first 7.3 at just about 5 AM and then at 8AM the Big Bear quake hit, a 6.4! We had only lived in our house a month or two. The noise of the Landers quake woke us up before we felt it. You know you're half asleep asking yourself what that noise is and then your house gets the peejeeber's shook out of it. We have heard a few before they actually hit, just a big rumble noise.

We definatly felt the Northridge quake too, a 6.7. How did you sleep through that?
[quote]

I was living on MCAS Tustin. The reason I slept through it is we were partying pretty hard the night before. I think I went to bed around 3 or something. We went to Big Bear that day and I was able to pick up a lift ticket for cheap from some people who were leaving because they had to go check on their house.

I don't remember the Landers and Big Bear quakes. I was out there from 93 - 99.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,827,013 times
I'm a light sleeper but at 3.+, it was too slight for me to feel as well Ani. But Northridge woke me up, prolly because I had a brand new car sitting in the garage and I was afraid that the water heater (then unbracketed) would fall on it as well as some cardboard boxes up on the garage rafters. And chicee, if strong enough, you'd feel it while driving, which I did during the Whittier one.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM

177 posts, read 549,197 times
Oh man I didn't feel it at all and I was actually up at that time. When I lived in South America we had earthquakes all the time. Most of them were tremors but I remember having some actual earthquakes. The tremors didn't bother me but I remember the first time there was an actual earthquake there was a loud sound and the floor was shaking like crazy. When I moved here everytime I would feel even the smallest shake of the floor at home I would go nuts thinking it was an earthquake but of course I realized it wasn't.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:48 PM

I forget which one it was, maybe Whittier. DH was driving and he thought he was getting a flat. He said a bunch of people were pulling off to the side of the road and saw some checking tires.

During the Sylmar quake my mom's best friend lost a foot of water out of their swimming pool. I remember that one too. I was only 5 and fell out of bed. I've told this before but it's funny. My dad had fallen asleep with me and my mom was in their bed, since we had just moved in we didn't have any carpet yet so she was rolling around the bedroom on the bed yelling for my dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte