Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post
C-SPAN Video Player - Pres. Obama Promotes Health Care Reform in Ohio Townhall (http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2009/07/23/HP/R/21245/Pres+Obama+Promotes+Health+Care+Reform+in+Ohio+Tow nhall.aspx - broken link)
Thanks for the link. It certainly sounds like it's got some answers to those questions posed...mine included. As one may guess, I'm not particularly a fan of our current President. However, I like to think that my on/off switch for biasedness is fully functioning so that I might be able to listen to these sorts of things without constantly shaking my head "no" from the minute he opens his mouth.

He does offer answers...I'll give him many points for that. My hesitation comes from the fact that he still mixed in political pot shots in his opening remarks--recession inheritance etc. does not apply to this topic. Move on, quite playing the blame game as it only risks polarization for folks like myself. From that point on, it's hard to keep the thought of (these are just promises made by a politician" out of my head. More hesitation comes from the funding discussion. He says 2/3 of the required funding can be taken from worthless current federal programs. Excellent! That's what I've been preaching all along! Cancel some bogus federal waste and use that money. There's still the remaining 1/3 though. He thinks taxing "rich" people is the answer. Way wrong idea, in my opinion. This is what his opponents have had beef with all along--"spreading the wealth." That's not America. It's a flat out smack in the face to people who have done well for themselves (whether it was luck, inheritance, or hard work, that's irrelevant). What makes it fair to make people that are well-off to pay for other people's healthcare?

Anyway...before I get too carried away...I realize I've made a political discussion here and I apologize in advance for probably helping shut this thread down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Yes it's only a matter of time before the mod gets here but we can have fun for a while.

You may not realize this Metallisteve but the US has always had a progressive tax system. Here are the tax rates under Bush -
10% on income between $0 and $8,025
15% on the income between $8,025 and $32,550; plus $802.50
25% on the income between $32,550 and $78,850; plus $4,481.25
28% on the income between $78,850 and $164,550; plus $16,056.25
33% on the income between $164,550 and $357,700; plus $40,052.25
35% on the income over $357,700; plus $103,791.75

"Spreading the wealth" is not exactly a new concept.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

203 posts, read 496,082 times
back to the OP...

why's it called a "vigil?"

Isn't that a little, uh, wimpy?

Screaming and lighting cars on fire gets a lot more press.

But then again, you can't get too rough since a lot of the people there won't have health insurance.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Vigils tend to be associated with something on life support. I kinda like that in this instance.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post
back to the OP...

why's it called a "vigil?"

Isn't that a little, uh, wimpy?

Screaming and lighting cars on fire gets a lot more press.

But then again, you can't get too rough since a lot of the people there won't have health insurance.
Post of the week!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Thanks for the link. It certainly sounds like it's got some answers to those questions posed...mine included. As one may guess, I'm not particularly a fan of our current President. However, I like to think that my on/off switch for biasedness is fully functioning so that I might be able to listen to these sorts of things without constantly shaking my head "no" from the minute he opens his mouth.

He does offer answers...I'll give him many points for that. My hesitation comes from the fact that he still mixed in political pot shots in his opening remarks--recession inheritance etc. does not apply to this topic. Move on, quite playing the blame game as it only risks polarization for folks like myself. From that point on, it's hard to keep the thought of (these are just promises made by a politician" out of my head. More hesitation comes from the funding discussion. He says 2/3 of the required funding can be taken from worthless current federal programs. Excellent! That's what I've been preaching all along! Cancel some bogus federal waste and use that money. There's still the remaining 1/3 though. He thinks taxing "rich" people is the answer. Way wrong idea, in my opinion. This is what his opponents have had beef with all along--"spreading the wealth." That's not America. It's a flat out smack in the face to people who have done well for themselves (whether it was luck, inheritance, or hard work, that's irrelevant). What makes it fair to make people that are well-off to pay for other people's healthcare?

Anyway...before I get too carried away...I realize I've made a political discussion here and I apologize in advance for probably helping shut this thread down.
I think that it is time to shut it down. I agree with you on your comments. However, I am sure that you know that Obama will not get 2/3 funding from cutting government programs. Hell, his wife has over 20 aides to attend to her needs. He has developed more special interest committees and tsars than any other president in history creating hundreds of precarious positions. He is increasing the military presence in Afganistan to create more jobs. I thought we were going to escalate? I am sure that his goal is to have everyone working for the government. Later. No apology neccessary. I am helping too.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
...You may not realize this Metallisteve but the US has always had a progressive tax system...
This isn't new to me. It's why I supported Huckabee and the Fair Tax that would've accompanied his office. But I digress...

In hindsight, sure, it seems a bit (what's the word?) hypocritical(?) to blame him for spreading the wealth when we've had a progressive tax structure for decades (maybe longer?). I guess my argument should be similar to that of the national debt. I certainly don't blame Obama for making it. I do hold him accountable to adding to it significantly. So to apply that thought to this issue, I don't blame him for inventing "spreading the wealth." But I certainly don't want to see it exacerbated.

They've kicked a rock or two and found "two thirds" of the money sitting around. Kick another two rocks and find the final third. We can go round and round debating whether or not wealth is being forcibly spread. But the basic question still exists: why is it justifiable to make people who already have coverage (likely damn good coverage) pay for something that will not benefit them?

Find a federal program that is giving frivolous grants to people--I'm sure we could make a 7 page thread with lists of such programs--and divert that funding to the final 1/3. Here's a touchy one: stop sending billions of dollars in aid to other countries. If our own people need it, they should get it first. Anything left over can go to lend a helping hand. I think folks get my point...use this opportunity to patch some leaks in the money tank and use that newfound source of money to fund something presumably very useful to many people.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
More than 25 vigils planned nationwide, with over 30,000 attendees! I'm glad someone stepped forward to help this happen in Charlotte. We have over 1500 signed up in Charlotte alone - people who understand the need for health care for all.
1,500 out of 900,000. Wow! that is one out of evey 6,00 people. Not very much understanding

Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
1,500 out of 900,000. Wow! that is one out of evey 6,00 people. Not very much understanding
It's shame so many people fail to vote or get involved on the critical issues, but can get whipped into a frenzy at a sporting event.
EDIT: or posting in pizza threads.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
It's shame so many people fail to vote or get involved on the critical issues, but can get whipped into a frenzy at a sporting event.
EDIT: or posting in pizza threads.
Hey now, don't knock the pizza threads. They are very important to our forum here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte