U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,249 times

Advertisements

It's good that kmway and kd83 claried for me that I must get my facts straight. I do not live in these areas because I don't consider them safe. So, my facts are based on what I kn

How, extreme crime including violent crime and death in these areas, perhaps Univeristy area is clustered and given this labeling, May people I know in Highland Creek which is the University area do not view it as safe and they own homes in that neighborhood. Is that no considered the University Area?
Does the media outlet provide untrue information from these neighborhods on the home invasions, robberies and other violent crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,072 times
*sigh*
Highland Creek is a safe area. And yes, it is the University area. I lived up that way and to tell you the truth, any problems there have been due to disgusting thugs from the Sugar Creek area coming up there to steal from good people. Look at the CMPD stats for more info, their website is your friend.

Haha, "extreme crime and death" in Highland Creek area. Good lord, I love the unfounded generalizations on this site. That is the most ridiculous exaggeration in the history of this board.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Glad your mom feels safe there. That's good adverstising.

She'd get killed on Harris Blvd because there's no sidewalks.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
*sigh*
Highland Creek is a safe area. And yes, it is the University area. I lived up that way and to tell you the truth, any problems there have been due to disgusting thugs from the Sugar Creek area coming up there to steal from good people. Look at the CMPD stats for more info, their website is your friend.

Haha, "extreme crime and death" in Highland Creek area. Good lord, I love the unfounded generalizations on this site. That is the most ridiculous exaggeration in the history of this board.
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say anything about extreme crime and death in highland creek. The only death I could for see is having a heart attack in the traffic waiting to make your left turn. The traffic is terrible out there. Sugar Creek, Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church Road, etc.

I do know people in Highland Creek and they do complain about the Home Invasions being the #1 crime out there. Maybe it's a crime of opportunity but it still makes the "UNIVERSITY AREA" look bad. It's a beautiful area though with the big houses and golf courses. Also, what is your opinion about the Harris/Ablemare Road Area?

I also wanted to point out Yancey Thigpen from the Pittsburgh Steelers had a home in the University Area and was a victim of VIOLENT home invasion. Um... Does the police report lie?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,624,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say anything about extreme crime and death in highland creek. The only death I could for see is having a heart attack in the traffic waiting to make your left turn. The traffic is terrible out there. Sugar Creek, Mallard Creek, Mallard Creek Church Road, etc.

I do know people in Highland Creek and they do complain about the Home Invasions being the #1 crime out there. Maybe it's a crime of opportunity but it still makes the "UNIVERSITY AREA" look bad. It's a beautiful area though with the big houses and golf courses. Also, what is your opinion about the Harris/Ablemare Road Area?

I also wanted to point out Yancey Thigpen from the Pittsburgh Steelers had a home in the University Area and was a victim of VIOLENT home invasion. Um... Does the police report lie?

What ever happened to people having alarms, dogs and shotguns? Anyone who trys to break in my house it's war! Most of these have to be people either not home or opening their door to strangers, that's something I'll never do and taught my kids the same.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,298,020 times
I will be staying in the area of motel/hotels in the 2 mile radius of Charlotte International for a couple of weeks. Are any of these ares deemed unsafe?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM

15 posts, read 47,621 times
The airport area can be a little dicey. I would go south to stay for your visit. Perhaps, 485 and Johnston Road. It's a short trip from the airport.

In general, I think it's important to note that crime is absolutely everywhere, in every city. (Yancey Thigpen is a target so throw out that stat, Highland Creek is as safe as anywhere in town) Areas to avoid should be fairly obvious from a visual standpoint. I would also throw out there that some of the transitional areas on the map provided are booming, and contrary to some other opinions, several happen to be on or certainly border the west side.

For example, I wish I owned a couple of the old houses/lots where Freedom Drive meets Morehead, What a gold mine less than 5 minutes from downtown.

Ideally, you want something on the way back up. Also, where you work is a big factor. Traffic and commute costs are growing so why not try to get close to work...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM

15 posts, read 47,621 times
oh yeah, the whole study is more telling

http://ww.charmeck.org/qol/pdf/2006Q...FullReport.pdf

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will be doing some engineering work at the Air National Guard Base next to CLT Douglas International. I had been advised to stay off of Queen City Street by some previous workers there, but am now trying to book a hotel/motel (preferably close to work).

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM

I just did a directions search and the area you recommended is only 5 miles away. Really appreciate it. I have been in many big cities with dicey areas, but usually my stay is planned by people with an education of the area. So, I usually get a pretty good idea of good areas and bad areas, but am always a little weary when I'm going blind into a big city by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or