Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times

Advertisements

Ani, I don't think being in the South has anything to do w/being judgemental or not.

Everyone has their prejudices (sp?). If someone down here flew a rainbow flag or an atheist flag, you know that person would be judged openly by neighbors. We've seen it firsthand on that Lincolnton thread about how someone was approached by their neighbor because they cut their grass on Sunday. So to me, its not a southern/northern/eastern/western thing allowing to "let live". It has to do more w/the person inside than the region.

(This is part of the reason why I live in a neighborhood w/an HOA.... j/k!)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,611,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is a far different issue to you. It is not an issue to me if you fly a Mexican flag, a Confederate flag or a Tibetan Prayer Flag - all of which I have seen in various parts of this country at one time or the other......

I don't understand why folks feel it necessary to be so judgmental. If someone is an ignorant arse . . . but they are not doing anything overt to impinge on my rights . . . the fact that I might be offended is my problem.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, again. I don't see it about being judgemental. I see it as people telling me exactly who they are and what they believe in. When someone tells me who they are, I believe them. And there are way more people than skinheads using the confederate flag to express themselves.

If this country had the history of folks being killed, beat up, houses being burned and defaced, etc... by folks carrying rainbow, Mexican, Tibetan or any other flag, then I would have a totally different view. That's not our history.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, again. I don't see it about being judgemental. I see it as people telling me exactly who they are and what they believe in. When someone tells me who they are, I believe them. And there are way more people than skinheads using the confederate flag to express themselves.

If this country had the history of folks being killed, beat up, houses being burned and defaced, etc... by folks carrying rainbow, Mexican, Tibetan or any other flag, then I would have a totally different view. That's not our history.
What possible impact does it have on your life for you to be so focused on what people are "telling you" about themselves? If you don't plan on socializing with them - why would you care?

Who in North Carolina is having their houses burned down?

I believe the only incidents of houses and retail establishments being burned in the last 50 years have been because of riots within black communities - with the exception being some nutballs who set fire to churches.

Who is having their buildings defaced? I believe many communities are dealing with this and it is usually gangs that are tagging buildings and scribbling graffiti across edifices.

Who is living in fear here b/c their neighbor might beat them up b/c they are black? This is stuff from the distant past.

Isn't clinging to the politics of grievance and assigning nefarious intent to others in the white community as ridiculous as white women clutching their pocketbooks when a black man walks by? Can't we all just get past all the stereotypes instead of clinging to them?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ani, I don't think being in the South has anything to do w/being judgemental or not.

Everyone has their prejudices (sp?). If someone down here flew a rainbow flag or an atheist flag, you know that person would be judged openly by neighbors. We've seen it firsthand on that Lincolnton thread about how someone was approached by their neighbor because they cut their grass on Sunday. So to me, its not a southern/northern/eastern/western thing allowing to "let live". It has to do more w/the person inside than the region.

(This is part of the reason why I live in a neighborhood w/an HOA.... j/k!)
I guess! I do have neighbors who have flown gay rights flags or who have rainbow stickers on their cars - and all I think when I pass the flags or see the stickers is: Someone is very passionate about gay rights. Nothing further. Who cares? They aren't asking me for money to support their cause.

But as far as "live and let live" being a Southern thing . . . yes, it is a Southern thing - or it was - b/f we had a bazillion folks move in who seem to find it their righteous duty to address everything around them that they find somehow assaults their sensibilities - from chicken farms that are odiferous to Bubba's trailer w/ the Rebel flag.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Ani,

If you want to ignore the history associated with your beloved confederate flag or pretend that those associations are something of the past, I guess that is your right. I'm not interested in providing incidents that have happened in the last 10 years to prove that there is a reason for the association. I'm not that old and I have a full recollection of many incidents that have happened in my adulthood.

Sorry, but I don't see where this conversation goes neither side can agree on basic facts.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Ani,

If you want to ignore the history associated with your beloved confederate flag or pretend that those associations are something of the past, I guess that is your right. I'm not interested in providing incidents that have happened in the last 10 years to prove that there is a reason for the association. I'm not that old and I have a full recollection of many incidents that have happened in my adulthood.

Sorry, but I don't see where this conversation goes neither side can agree on basic facts.
Baybook - referring to the Confederate battle flag as "my beloved flag" - really. I am explaining to the reader what the majority of natives think. I have never owned that flag. I do own a First National, several Tibetan Prayer Flags, an NC flag, a Kansas flag and several USA flags.

I also own seasonal flags, LOL.

There have been some incidents in NC over the last 50 years where the KKK has burned crosses. My own family was threatened by the KKK in the 60s and had federal agents on our property for several weeks. My son was threatened at school repeatedly b/c his best friend was black. Yep. The FBI was called into the school (by administration - not by me) b/c of those incidences, too (Not MECK)

Hate goes on everywhere. But it isn't gonna change how I live my life. If someone breaks the law, then that is a wholly different matter.

So I am fully aware that prejudice and hate exists all over this country. But the isolated incidences that occur are not indicative of how the majority of folks think in this state. To suggest that they do would be perpetuating a stereotype.

Last edited by brokensky; 09-06-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Baybook - referring to the Confederate battle flag as "my beloved flag" - really.
Ani, I thought you'd expressed an affinity for that flag based on you family history. I might be wrong, but I think we've had that converstaion in the past, hence your defense of folks that want to fly it.

Quote:
So I am fully aware that prejudice and hate exists all over this country. But the isolated incidences that occur are not indicative of how the majority of folks think in this state. To suggest that they do would be perpetuating a stereotype.
I'm not sure where I said that the majority of folks in this state (or this country) are prejudiced. I believe I said that I think most people don't support and are offended when folks display that flag. I don't know why you think I'm perpetuating a sterotype.

It is what it is.

Lastly

Quote:
Isn't clinging to the politics of grievance and assigning nefarious intent to others in the white community as ridiculous as white women clutching their pocketbooks when a black man walks by? Can't we all just get past all the stereotypes instead of clinging to them?
Again, I don't see how acknowledging how the confederate flag is used today (and historically) has anything to do with the larger White community. It has everything to do with those that use that flag - period.

Personally, it is insulting to a vast number of folks of all racial backgrounds to have their opinions/feelings dismissed as just "politics of grievance". It implies that those opinions are completely unjustified. Folks display the confederate flag for a reason. I don't see much open for interpretation there.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM

522 posts, read 1,605,249 times
Quote:
Ani, I thought you'd expressed an affinity for that flag based on you family history. I might be wrong, but I think we've had that converstaion in the past, hence your defense of folks that want to fly it.

I'm not sure where I said that the majority of folks in this state (or this country) are prejudiced. I believe I said that I think most people don't support and are offended when folks display that flag. I don't know why you think I'm perpetuating a sterotype.

It is what it is.

Lastly

Again, I don't see how acknowledging how the confederate flag is used today (and historically) has anything to do with the larger White community. It has everything to do with those that use that flag - period.

Personally, it is insulting to a vast number of folks of all racial backgrounds to have their opinions/feelings dismissed as just "politics of grievance". It implies that those opinions are completely unjustified. Folks display the confederate flag for a reason. I don't see much open for interpretation there.
Disagreeing with this woman gets you nowhere. In case you haven't noticed, she insists on getting the last word. And what I find particularly noteworthy, is her complete lack of southern hospitality. The numerous references to "I don't care about your feelings......I don't care about what you believe....I don't care" period. She's a New Yorker at heart. LOL. And her live and let live philosophy only exists if you agree with her.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM

251 posts, read 1,032,646 times
ellemaew,

I am in California and about 15 years ago a coworker compared Charlotte
to Sacramento...

Lots of people from California have moved to NC it seems....

Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Disagreeing with this woman gets you nowhere. In case you haven't noticed, she insists on getting the last word. And what I find particularly noteworthy, is her complete lack of southern hospitality. The numerous references to "I don't care about your feelings......I don't care about what you believe....I don't care" period. She's a New Yorker at heart. LOL. And her live and let live philosophy only exists if you agree with her.
Gosh. Revealed at last. A New Yorker at heart. You are so perceptive for figuring out my true identity. Kudos to you, Joanie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte