Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Ani, I thought you'd expressed an affinity for that flag based on you family history. I might be wrong, but I think we've had that converstaion in the past, hence your defense of folks that want to fly it.

I'm not sure where I said that the majority of folks in this state (or this country) are prejudiced. I believe I said that I think most people don't support and are offended when folks display that flag. I don't know why you think I'm perpetuating a sterotype.

It is what it is.

Lastly

Again, I don't see how acknowledging how the confederate flag is used today (and historically) has anything to do with the larger White community. It has everything to do with those that use that flag - period.

Personally, it is insulting to a vast number of folks of all racial backgrounds to have their opinions/feelings dismissed as just "politics of grievance". It implies that those opinions are completely unjustified. Folks display the confederate flag for a reason. I don't see much open for interpretation there.
The politics of grievance encourages people to see everything thru/ the spectrum of injustice.

I am a Southerner, my family fought in the Civil War, including for the Union. I honor the American flag b/c I am a proud citizen of this country. I honor the historical fact that I had ancestors who died fighting a war they did not wish to fight - and that means - I am not insulted by the Confederate flag, altho I would never fly the commonly used "Rebel" flag b/c it incites stereotypical feelings from folks who see it identified with skinheads. That is my take on it.

There are haters all over this country, not just in the South. For those who wish to cling to the stereotype (not saying you, Baybook) that all racism exists here, then I guess those folks will see everything through that spectrum of belief. I don't care what folks think as long as they are not breaking a law - or try to force their beliefs on me.

This region is open to folks doing their own thing - for the most part. The most legalistic entities in our communities today are HOA, but people join them b/c they want a particular standard in their neighborhoods. For the rest of us, as long as people are law-abiding citizens, I don't think many people really care what anyone around them is doing, thinking, or how they are living their lives.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,605,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The politics of grievance encourages people to see everything thru/ the spectrum of injustice.

I am a Southerner, my family fought in the Civil War, including for the Union. I honor the American flag b/c I am a proud citizen of this country. I honor the historical fact that I had ancestors who died fighting a war they did not wish to fight - and that means - I am not insulted by the Confederate flag, altho I would never fly the commonly used "Rebel" flag b/c it incites stereotypical feelings from folks who see it identified with skinheads. That is my take on it.

There are haters all over this country, not just in the South. For those who wish to cling to the stereotype (not saying you, Baybook) that all racism exists here, then I guess those folks will see everything through that spectrum of belief. I don't care what folks think as long as they are not breaking a law - or try to force their beliefs on me.

This region is open to folks doing their own thing - for the most part. The most legalistic entities in our communities today are HOA, but people join them b/c they want a particular standard in their neighborhoods. For the rest of us, as long as people are law-abiding citizens, I don't think many people really care what anyone around them is doing, thinking, or how they are living their lives.
Oh my gosh! Now you are worried about people's feelings Ani, what are we to make of this? You actually say you don't do something based on the feelings of others. This is so contradictory from your previous posts. What are we to believe?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Oh my gosh! Now you are worried about people's feelings Ani, what are we to make of this? You actually say you don't do something based on the feelings of others. This is so contradictory from your previous posts. What are we to believe?
Is there something I could help you with, Joanie? Are you considering moving here? I will be glad to pass on any info I might have that would help you decide whether or not to move here from Florida, as I assume that is why you are posting here.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,605,249 times
Quote:
Is there something I could help you with, Joanie? Are you considering moving here? I will be glad to pass on any info I might have that would help you decide whether or not to move here from Florida, as I assume that is why you are posting here.
How kind of you to offer your help. Yes, I am considering moving to
Charlotte. But, somehow I feel Your help is not the help I need. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You are very welcome.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM

716 posts, read 1,538,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
ellemaew,

I am in California and about 15 years ago a coworker compared Charlotte
to Sacramento...

Lots of people from California have moved to NC it seems....

All we need now is the lower humidity and huge Palm Trees and we are set.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,645,705 times
Quote:
Hi Joanie--I too am moving to Charlotte for a period of 3 months starting Oct 1. Maybe I can help you? Where were you thinking of moving? I'm renting in Grier Hts. if that's any help to you.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM

33 posts, read 63,460 times
Quote:
Your use of the term "ignorance" is just as presumptive as classifying a group of folks as "white trash" and typically, the two go together when it comes to stereotypes of the South. What you mean is that you assume people flying the flags are racists.

The people who are flying those flags - be they Mexican flags or Southern flags - will explain to you they are doing so b/c it is their way of celebrating their own culture and heritage. It has nothing to do with "fighting the Civil War" but b/c that is the stereotype the rest of the country perpetuates about Southerners (that anyone who wants to preserve their culture is actually a racist) . . . that is the trap you immediately fall into.

There is only one group of people in this country that others feel they can malign and no one will say a thing about it - Southerners. Oh, and folks from West Virginia.

HA, I resemble that remark

Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,800 times
people who display the rebel flag want to preserve that culture, that heritage, that way of life. I agree with anifani821. That culture was slavery, that heritage was segregation, hangings and jim crow to name a few. If (that way of life) would have continued African Americans would still be property to be bought and sold.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadizzle View Post
people who display the rebel flag want to preserve that culture, that heritage, that way of life. I agree with anifani821. That culture was slavery, that heritage was segregation, hangings and jim crow to name a few. If (that way of life) would have continued African Americans would still be property to be bought and sold.
Evidently do you not agree with me, so please don't attempt to co-opt my explanations into some other discussion.

This thread is not about the institution of slavery. The discussion was about ignorant southerners and how others feel intimidated and/or insulted (choose your adjective) by the few folks in this state who choose to fly a confederate flag.

I will state this again. Whatever reason a person has for flying ANY particular flag is their business. If someone chooses to take offense to it - then they may be offended b/c they are misunderstanding that person's affinity for that flag. As Baybook pointed out - it may be that flag-flyer is a prejudiced person and is sending an unwelcoming signal. On the other hand, I feel assuming that is the intention is a judgment that is presumptive and based on one's own beliefs about the world. I choose to "live and let live." I learned long ago - folks who hate come in all demographics and are not so easy to ferret out. The person you think is a hater b/c he/she is flying a particular flag may not espouse the beliefs you do about that flag.

Most folks in this region WANT to be inclusive and WANT all people to be treated fairly. That is the point. The South is not filled with bigots, racists and haters - any more than any other region of this country has those types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte