U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM

17 posts, read 45,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, you have certainly done your homework being that you know downtown is called "uptown" here.

I used to deliver freight many times to the Fontana/San Bernardino/Rancho Cucamonga area. The weather there is freaking awesome to compare to Charlotte IMO. I was not used to 60 degree low temps in January.

Anyways, just the fact that you are interested in Uptown tells me you should focus on Charlotte (and not Raleigh). Raleigh is only good for those that are not interested in a place like uptown. Keep in mind though that Raleigh does have a lower unemployment rate than Charlotte right now (and better schools IMO). However, Charlotte is just a more exciting place to live for someone like myself. You'll see what I mean when you visit as a tourist in both towns. The majority of your flight options into this state will bring you to Charlotte Douglas International. There's your first clue.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Charlotte.
Thanks, and yes the weather here can be beautifulbut not today With 100,000 +acres burning just 10 miles from me, it was 100 degrees and humid ta boot. Anywho, what you say about Raleigh vs. QC makes sense (BTW what's IMO?)...bigger population, and I see a lot of community redevelopment which I like. I think it very important that a city take pride in itself. Redevelop but not bury, know what I mean. That's what I see in Charlotte. Am I wrong?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM

21,899 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floradoragirl View Post
Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I grew up in Houston and moved to LA as a teenager. Move forward a few (ahem) years and here we are. I'm ready to start my life over. I have one degree already, in Broadcasting. I've thought about floating my resume around for that even though I've been out of the industry for awhile now...the jobs left CA.lol

You have mass transit? I love it. LA, a major cosmo city, has the worst transit system in the world (just my opinion). You have bugs and spiders? Have you seen the famous flying roaches in Texas?lol I happen to love spiders

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a Californian who needs a pool and things all shiny new...although I do like that there is an IKEA in town. I was looking at the areas closer to what I would call downtown because I like older architecture, just not real sure bout the neighborhoods. I do plan on trying to find some way to transfer over there (job) for starters, even if it's just at the local Trader Joe's.

I guess I'll know about the pace when I come out for my exploratory trip. I'm shooting for early January. Guess I better bring a coat.
I was a broadcast tech. What did you do?

If you get into UNCC, if you are looking for older architecture, you might want to check some of the smaller towns within your tolerance of a commute.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Hey southbound_295! I was an ariel news photographer at first for a stringer company then worked various jobs (mostly above the line) on films. Been out of the loop for awhile now.

UNCC is one of the schools I want to check out. I plan on talking to a counselor about transferring. Even though I'm enrolled here, I'm going to go to CPCC for a year while I'm establishing residency to cut my costs.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hey southbound_295! I was an ariel news photographer at first for a stringer company then worked various jobs (mostly above the line) on films. Been out of the loop for awhile now.

UNCC is one of the schools I want to check out. I plan on talking to a counselor about transferring. Even though I'm enrolled here, I'm going to go to CPCC for a year while I'm establishing residency to cut my costs.
I've been out of the loop too. (Job cuts due to the digital changeover)

My long-ago degree is in Art Education (BFA), but I'm considering a Masters in History.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Love it! You should go for it! It's never too late to do what you love.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Love it! You should go for it! It's never too late to do what you love.
My thoughts, exactly!

I spent some time living in Hollywood in the mid 70s (trying to establish residency for school) The architecture will be totally different (but you knew that) here, which is why I suggested the possibility of a smaller town. It would just depend on your finances & what you like.

Other people would be more help than me. I haven't been here all that long, & I'm out to the west, a doable commute, but probably further than you'd want to be.

There are several Californians on here. They're very nice & knowledgeable.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There are several Californians on here. They're very nice & knowledgeable.
...and clearly you would be an honorary one of us Location...I still think I'd like it better close in towards uptown. I really do love architecture, and looked into Savannah as a possibility, but it just didn't offer what I need.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Quote:
You have mass transit? I love it.
Well, don't get too happy. Charlotte's mass transit is mostly buses and only one 9.6 mile light rail line.

The good news is that there are tons of older apartments and condos in the South End/Dilworth area of town. This area is near the Trader Joe's in Midtown BTW.

Here are two videos of Charlotte's urban effort in the South End/Dilworth area so you can kinda get a feel for the area. The living quarters in these videos are quite new, however older units represent the vast majority of Dilworth.

YouTube - Dilworth YouTube - Dilworth

Here is a 7 minute train ride from South End to Uptown.

YouTube - Urban Charlotte

The train is also popular during sporting events. Here is the Arena Station after a Charlotte Bobcats game had let out.

YouTube - Bobcats game night

There is also Carowinds theme park here if you like roller coasters.
Carowinds | Rides, Shows and other Attractions

I've heard that the US National Whitewater Center is pretty cool too!
US National Whitewater Center

Quote:
Thanks, and yes the weather here can be beautifulbut not today With 100,000 +acres burning just 10 miles from me, it was 100 degrees and humid ta boot. Anywho, what you say about Raleigh vs. QC makes sense (BTW what's IMO?)...bigger population, and I see a lot of community redevelopment which I like. I think it very important that a city take pride in itself. Redevelop but not bury, know what I mean. That's what I see in Charlotte. Am I wrong?
No, you are not wrong at all. However, much of Charlotte's historic downtown has been destroyed in the name of progress unfortunately. The neighborhoods surrounding Charlotte's downtown still have their original character and feel. Also, I apologize for the short handed writing. IMO means In My Opinion.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-02-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
...and clearly you would be an honorary one of us Location...I still think I'd like it better close in towards uptown. I really do love architecture, and looked into Savannah as a possibility, but it just didn't offer what I need.
Thanks!

Just a thought. . .of course you should live where you'll be comfortable.

I came down from the Philly suburbs. I went the opposite route, to get a larger plot of land than I could have afforded in Charlotte. I need my garden.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 AM

Wow! Thanks for the videos! It's giving me a lot to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or