U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
What is the Italian phrase, "maha copa" I know it's not spelled correctly. You people are really angry, why?
Because we are all friends here. This is the most popular state forum on all of City-Data, mostly because of all the regulars who show up day in and day out to try to help newbies. If you knew Ani you would LOVE her like we do

Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
btw, I'm not poor Joanie - that is very insulting.
It was certainly not meant as an insult. It was said sincerely I can assure you. If you need help in your quest or potential quest in coming to Charlotte Ani is an invaluable resource, something you haven't been here long enough to understand and would be embarrassed to fully understand later.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:
What is the Italian phrase, "maha copa" I know it's not spelled correctly. You people are really angry, why?

Mea maaaaaaaaaaxima culpa.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM

522 posts, read 1,422,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It was certainly not meant as an insult. It was said sincerely I can assure you. If you need help in your quest or potential quest in coming to Charlotte Ani is an invaluable resource, something you haven't been here long enough to understand and would be embarrassed to fully understand later.
I am not embarrassed. i dont' consider that exceptionally helpful. Why don't you help others who have less self esteem?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I am not embarrassed. i dont' consider that exceptionally helpful. Why don't you help others who have less self esteem?
sigh. I was trying to say if you really knew Ani you'd be embarrassed that you ever treated her rudely of thought badly of her because she is such an awesome person - a person you'd actually be lucky to count as your friend.

But I give up - you are apparently determined to be contentious. I had hoped when you said mea culpa that that meant you were apologizing for being rude - I must have misunderstood. Post away, I won't bother you (or bother to help you) again.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:

And you're calling the rest of the people here angry?

Pot meet kettle....

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
OK, hun, let me explain this to you.

This is an active thread with an OP actively looking for information. You decided to post in it & your questions were being answered.

Another poster made an insulting remark about the outlying smaller towns. Now it so happens that I live in one of those towns & I was insulted, even though I'm a transplant, because I have yet to see a single Confederate flag out here. It was an insult intended to convey who that poster thinks lives out here.

Ani beat me to calling the poster on the comment, because she's a native with family out here in the outlying towns.

You chose to involve yourself & then landed a zinger on Ani. We are not angry. However, no one here likes to see Ani insulted.

Now I think that we should get back to helping the OP.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:13 AM

8,722 posts, read 7,935,714 times
Let me help you out, Joanie. I borrowed this from Wikipedia:

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my fault", or "my own fault". To emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

Technically the *used* to speak Latin in Italy (and they still do in Vatican City), so I'll give you a pass on that one.

Alright, back to the topic at hand - Charlotte has lots to do and see. It is a larger city without a ton of that "big city" feel and that could be good or bad for you. If you are an art hound that has to go to a new gallery showing or stage production every weekend, you'll probably find Charlotte a little lacking compared to other cities - though most of those cities are likely larger.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd have to agree with you on this one. I'd also like to say to the OP that Raleigh is worse than Charlotte when it comes to being "family oriented" (ie Raleigh is more family oriented).

Being that the OP is not that interested in the social scene (she has stated this much) I think our resident "Charlotte haters" are making toooooo big of a deal about Charlotte's social life. The OP clearly asked "Raleigh or Charlotte". She isn't dumb people. She knows there will be a change in pace and culture by moving from LA to ANYWHERE in NC. I hate to play MOD, but the bottom line is should she move to Charlotte or Raleigh? That is what she is asking. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that some of you find Charlotte's social life "boring" would suggest that the OP lean heavier towards Charlotte (Raleigh's social scene is worse than Charlotte's IMO).

With that said, here are a few videos of Charlotte's night life scene Uptown (taken by someone that actually knows Charlotte well ).

YouTube - urban charlotteYouTube - urban charlotte

New Years in Uptown

YouTube - New Years Eve Uptown

YouTube - New Years Eve Uptown

Thanksgiving Day Parade

YouTube - Thanksgiving Day

Charlotte is by NO MEANS a LA, but it is BY FAR the best (by best I mean most exciting) option in NC for folks looking for the "big city". Take it from someone that has more than a two year history with Charlotte.

I am very familiar with how much (or better yet how little) a person that has been in Charlotte only two years knows. My wife has only been here two years, and she still can't get around without her GPS navigation. There is NO WAY in "you know where" a person that's been here two years can give an accurate description of what Charlotte is like. They (recent transplants) are probably only familiar with the corridor between their home and their job.

Not to get too far off topic, but I would strongly suggest to anyone that has just moved to Charlotte (or has been here only a couple of years) to *gasp!* park your car and take the bus (and train) around. That's right, on your next day off, do yourself a favor and ride at least 30% of Charlotte's mass transit routes. I promise you will see neighborhoods and a social side of Charlotte you NEVER thought existed. You might even gain a greater respect for Charlotte's social diversity as well.
UrbanCharlotte, I totally see the same thing you see. Let's face it, compared to LA, Charlotte will not quite possibly have everything has, we're talking 3,800,000 people compared to a city with just over 700,000 and a metro region of 12,000,000 with a metro pushing 2,000,000, that's a big comparison! I'm not saying Charlotte is everything, but I think Charlotte has a lot more going for itself thn most people give it credit for. I've been to a lot of areas that UrbanCharlotte talks about, and I find it to be quite lively and active, I wished Charlotte had more of it. In time, like another poster said, whatever Charlotte lacks right now, as it continues to grow, it will have all of those things.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 AM

588 posts, read 958,456 times
That was me (saying as Charlotte continues to grow). And remember that the OP said she was "fed up with California".

The Los Angeles metro area is humongous (census info). We have, in some places, six lane freeways going each way. So of course there's a lot to do — but I'd say that most people don't sample all of it, nor necessarily want to do so or have the time to do it.

Same with Charlotte — it has its benefits, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or