U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 45,322 times

Advertisements

I'm fed up with California. The living expenses here are out of control. I'm trying to get an education but classes are being cut while tuition costs are being raised. I'm looking at years to finish my degree. Even though NC's tuition is higher, your cost of living is WAY lower than LA, so it seems like it's worth checking out a permanent move. My question to you nice people...what do you really think of Charlotte and Raleigh? The good, the bad, and the ugly. I've heard that Charlotte can get a little dicey, but jeez, I've been living in LA for years! Could it really be any worse?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,071,063 times
Housing prices are definitely lower than in LA in both Charlotte & Raleigh. Taxes are staring to go up but I don't really know what they are in CA so I don't have anything to compare them to.

People are definitely much nicer and overall I think it is safer. There are just certain places you don't go to, but you are probably used to that practice already.

I'd give it a shot if I were you, but make sure you find a job first. They are not too plentiful around here right now.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floradoragirl View Post
I'm fed up with California. The living expenses here are out of control. I'm trying to get an education but classes are being cut while tuition costs are being raised. I'm looking at years to finish my degree. Even though NC's tuition is higher, your cost of living is WAY lower than LA, so it seems like it's worth checking out a permanent move. My question to you nice people...what do you really think of Charlotte and Raleigh? The good, the bad, and the ugly. I've heard that Charlotte can get a little dicey, but jeez, I've been living in LA for years! Could it really be any worse?
It's all relative - Charlotte is only dicey by small city standards - compared to LA you'd likely find it to be a slice of heaven

I'd suggest you plan a trip as soon as you are able to visit both Charlotte and Raleigh - both are nice places to live with a lot to offer - welcome to NC!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM

716 posts, read 1,357,732 times
I moved out here to Charlotte from Los Angeles a few months ago and I will tell you that housing and rent is much lower as compared to the LA area but that is pretty much it. I think the people out in LA are definitely much nicer as compared to Charlotte people and they are more willing to chat with you(maybe it was just the area I was living in) and I would say that crime is about the same, maybe just a tad safer out in LA as compared to here. I will tell you that I live in a decent gated apartment community in South Charlotte and just the last weekend we had atleast 5 car break-ins. I woke up on a Sunday morning and found lots of glass and smashed out windows and the scary part was that alot of it was in the row that I park. I thought to myself whats the difference between LA and Charlotte? and I said hmmmmmmmm.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM

What area were you living in out here in LA? I heard South Charlotte was OK, but I have been considering looking closer to Uptown, North or Northeast I think.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's all relative - Charlotte is only dicey by small city standards - compared to LA you'd likely find it to be a slice of heaven

I'd suggest you plan a trip as soon as you are able to visit both Charlotte and Raleigh - both are nice places to live with a lot to offer - welcome to NC!
I plan on it - just as soon as my school schedule will allow. I'm going to try to hit every campus from Raleigh to Charlotte in a few days. I compared so many states online and yours really does seem like it has a lot to offer, not just education and cost of living. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
I plan on it - just as soon as my school schedule will allow. I'm going to try to hit every campus from Raleigh to Charlotte in a few days. I compared so many states online and yours really does seem like it has a lot to offer, not just education and cost of living. Thanks!
There really are so many great colleges in NC that surely one of them will work for you. In Charlotte we have UNCC, which is rather large with about 25,000 students. If you like the mountains, consider UNC-Asheville - much smaller but very popular

Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM

248 posts, read 638,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I moved out here to Charlotte from Los Angeles a few months ago and I will tell you that housing and rent is much lower as compared to the LA area but that is pretty much it. I think the people out in LA are definitely much nicer as compared to Charlotte people and they are more willing to chat with you(maybe it was just the area I was living in) and I would say that crime is about the same, maybe just a tad safer out in LA as compared to here. I will tell you that I live in a decent gated apartment community in South Charlotte and just the last weekend we had atleast 5 car break-ins. I woke up on a Sunday morning and found lots of glass and smashed out windows and the scary part was that alot of it was in the row that I park. I thought to myself whats the difference between LA and Charlotte? and I said hmmmmmmmm.
OK I only in Charlotte for 3 months.. I've lived in CT, nyc, frisco, LA and more places and DC and now in Charlotte.. I DO NOT agree that there are people nicer anywehre else than in Charlotte.. I DO NOT agree that people in other places are willing to chat more than in Charlotte.. no.. maybe the places I was and the places the above poster was is different.. but over all.. "ANYWHERE" if you compare.. Charlotte people are sweeter.. have the time to talk to you and discuss things with you and help you.. I live in S.charlotte too.. not all places in s.charlotte are considered safe.. Central Ave, South Blvd and apartments in many other streets have crime and maybe unsafe.. I live a stone throw from southpark.. I've forgotten to lock my apartment.. my car more than once without a problem. Just today my friend who lives in the same neighborhook left his newly purchased outside his door and walked back to my apartment coz he was locked out.. his concern was its charlotte.. whoz gonna steal it.. & 3 hours later when his roommate arrived with the sparekey.. the microwave was still there..

My big complain about charlotte is bugs & spider webs..

Traffic is nothing, if you are used to nyc/nj/dc/orange county/bay area.

Jobs are getting tighter.. and its getting harder. Since I came here after DC.. other than rent.. I dont find any other price a big difference.. but coming from LA.. Rent, Gas, Groceries, Clothes and much more will be cheaper again depending on where u shop.

BUT a Big BUT.. I understand the above poster's comment.. coz most californians dont enjoy anyother place other than CA.

To the OP: if you are stuck up to California as heaven and anyother place as rustic, then no where is gonne be nice.. If you are down to earth.. are ready to wave to everyperson in your neighborhood..(am serious) and are ready to switch to the slow pace (which is not eazy.. ) and switch to using public transport (which is soo slow coz the driver maybe nice & will wait for a passenger whos on the otherside of the road) or are ready to drive.. & are ready give up walking to everywhere.. then.. you can consider moving here.. also only if you already have a job ready.

If you are from California.. I know a lot of them who get tired of CA move to Phoenix or Houston.. coz of good schools and cheaper expenses and warm weather.. and if you again feel LA is the real home.. then move back isnt too much of a pain..

Think about it.. No Offence to anyone here or in CA or anywhere else.. just my 2 cents..

Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
What area were you living in out here in LA? I heard South Charlotte was OK, but I have been considering looking closer to Uptown, North or Northeast I think.
Well, you have certainly done your homework being that you know downtown is called "uptown" here.

I used to deliver freight many times to the Fontana/San Bernardino/Rancho Cucamonga area. The weather there is freaking awesome to compare to Charlotte IMO. I was not used to 60 degree low temps in January.

Anyways, just the fact that you are interested in Uptown tells me you should focus on Charlotte (and not Raleigh). Raleigh is only good for those that are not interested in a place like uptown. Keep in mind though that Raleigh does have a lower unemployment rate than Charlotte right now (and better schools IMO). However, Charlotte is just a more exciting place to live for someone like myself. You'll see what I mean when you visit as a tourist in both towns. The majority of your flight options into this state will bring you to Charlotte Douglas International. There's your first clue.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
OK I only in Charlotte for 3 months.. I've lived in CT, nyc, frisco, LA and more places and DC and now in Charlotte.. I DO NOT agree that there are people nicer anywehre else than in Charlotte.. I DO NOT agree that people in other places are willing to chat more than in Charlotte.. no.. maybe the places I was and the places the above poster was is different.. but over all.. "ANYWHERE" if you compare.. Charlotte people are sweeter.. have the time to talk to you and discuss things with you and help you.. I live in S.charlotte too.. not all places in s.charlotte are considered safe.. Central Ave, South Blvd and apartments in many other streets have crime and maybe unsafe.. I live a stone throw from southpark.. I've forgotten to lock my apartment.. my car more than once without a problem. Just today my friend who lives in the same neighborhook left his newly purchased outside his door and walked back to my apartment coz he was locked out.. his concern was its charlotte.. whoz gonna steal it.. & 3 hours later when his roommate arrived with the sparekey.. the microwave was still there..

My big complain about charlotte is bugs & spider webs..

Traffic is nothing, if you are used to nyc/nj/dc/orange county/bay area.

Jobs are getting tighter.. and its getting harder. Since I came here after DC.. other than rent.. I dont find any other price a big difference.. but coming from LA.. Rent, Gas, Groceries, Clothes and much more will be cheaper again depending on where u shop.

BUT a Big BUT.. I understand the above poster's comment.. coz most californians dont enjoy anyother place other than CA.

To the OP: if you are stuck up to California as heaven and anyother place as rustic, then no where is gonne be nice.. If you are down to earth.. are ready to wave to everyperson in your neighborhood..(am serious) and are ready to switch to the slow pace (which is not eazy.. ) and switch to using public transport (which is soo slow coz the driver maybe nice & will wait for a passenger whos on the otherside of the road) or are ready to drive.. & are ready give up walking to everywhere.. then.. you can consider moving here.. also only if you already have a job ready.

If you are from California.. I know a lot of them who get tired of CA move to Phoenix or Houston.. coz of good schools and cheaper expenses and warm weather.. and if you again feel LA is the real home.. then move back isnt too much of a pain..

Think about it.. No Offence to anyone here or in CA or anywhere else.. just my 2 cents..
Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I grew up in Houston and moved to LA as a teenager. Move forward a few (ahem) years and here we are. I'm ready to start my life over. I have one degree already, in Broadcasting. I've thought about floating my resume around for that even though I've been out of the industry for awhile now...the jobs left CA.lol

You have mass transit? I love it. LA, a major cosmo city, has the worst transit system in the world (just my opinion). You have bugs and spiders? Have you seen the famous flying roaches in Texas?lol I happen to love spiders

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a Californian who needs a pool and things all shiny new...although I do like that there is an IKEA in town. I was looking at the areas closer to what I would call downtown because I like older architecture, just not real sure bout the neighborhoods. I do plan on trying to find some way to transfer over there (job) for starters, even if it's just at the local Trader Joe's.

I guess I'll know about the pace when I come out for my exploratory trip. I'm shooting for early January. Guess I better bring a coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or