U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,661,687 times
I'm not a barbecue connoisseur, but I love Jim & Nicks on 160 and S.Tryon. They have great mac & cheese too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

706 posts, read 1,315,373 times
Jim & Nick's appears to be a chain (?) but their food is good. Plus: Pulling into their parking lot we spotted piles and piles of hickory wood. Definitely authentic smoking going on in there.

My favorites locally are Bubba's or Bill Spoon's. Or, sometimes I like to just go by the Southern Spirits off 521 and pick up a boston butt from Gilb's. The thing I love most about NC Barbecue are the traveling roadside sellers. Then I just make my own vinegar based sauce at home!

Now my favorites in the region are Lexington BBQ and Stamey's. Lexington far surpasses any of the others, and Stamey's right up there too.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,911 posts, read 38,797,534 times
Stamey, rule

Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 AM

1,737 posts, read 945,183 times
Any love for Sticky Fingers in the Ballantyne area? I used to go to SF in Charleston, many years ago, when I had to travel there for business, but I have not been to the Charlotte one yet.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 AM

79 posts, read 123,485 times
Being from Salisbury... lots of places there and also close to Lexington there is not much real good B.B.Q. in Charlotte. We have been here for 35 years so I am not a newcomer! Kristopher's in Matthews has the BEST in Charlotte... it's their special on Thursdays and the only day it's available..... today is Thursday so anyone try it out and call me a liar....

Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM

372 posts, read 608,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, thanks for the clarification. Some just say Bridges & some specify Bridges on 74. Next time I'll know enough to ask which one.
Other than the Crest/Shelby high rivalry, this is one of the big dividing lines in the area. Check them both out, I'd be interested to see which you prefer.

From what I understand, the two Bridges are not directly related, either, which is kind of weird. Although, there are tons of Bridges in the Shelby area - probably right behind Hamricks and McSwains in terms of quantity.

We always got a giggle when driving past local graveyards and noting the names on the tombstones - "Hamrick, Hamrick, Hamrick, Hamrick".

Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM

69 posts, read 126,458 times
lancasters BBQ

Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM

198 posts, read 352,087 times
We make our own BBQ with a terra cotta smoker (google "Alton Brown smoker" for easy instructions) and it's amazingly good. Seriously. Much better than you can get almost anywhere -- wonderful rich smoky flavor. But you have to have around 8 hours to kill. It's our "football Saturday" routine and the whole neighborhood can smell the meat smoking all day. Can't wait to start up this year!

We haven't found a great BBQ place in Charlotte, so I agree with comments here that you have to leave the city. We plan on making a road trip to Lexington one of these days to check out all the BBQ there.

I don't understand the fascination with Mac's Speed Shop. Sure it's a fun place to have a few beers with friends, and it's great for people-watching all the bikers, but their BBQ isn't good. The pulled pork has ZERO smoke flavor, so I'm not surprised to hear they cook it with gas.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,911 posts, read 38,797,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alytini View Post
lancasters BBQ
use gas and only serve eastern

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 52,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
bubbas uses gas heat
Unfortunately, that's the trend nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte