Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what credit unions are there in Charlotte, and what restrictions on Membership.

The one I used to belong to in Miami you used to have to be referred but they opened it up to all people, was looking for something similair here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I only know of the one I am member of and that State Employees's Credit Union.
Before economy tank I used to earn high interest rate on my CD'S, and money market account.
Great low interest rate for loans
Membership you need to be an employee of the state or related to someone who is.
Downfall is I find there online banking very archaic.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I don't know how good they are but there is Charlotte Metro Credit Union

https://cmcu.org/become_a_member.asp

The site says you just have to work in Mecklenburg County.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Coastal Federal Credit Union has a great interest bearing checking account. An even better deal than the free Crown account my wife gets throught Wachovia.

COASTAL - Experience the Difference. - Go Green Checking

Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
don't go to Truliant... they are not good to work with.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:08 AM

94 posts, read 356,423 times
I have been with Charlotte Metro Credit Union for over 10 years and they are great! They now have multiple branches and full online banking resources which make it even easier to bank with.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
don't go to Truliant... they are not good to work with.
Not sure why you posted this comment ^

I am a member with Truliant and have not had any problems with them. I've had a checking, savings, Christmas Club account, two car loans, and after we sold our house (and didn't have another to move into) they showed us a HomeBuyer's CD that worked perfectly for the situation we were in.

I'm not exactly sure what their membership requirements are; I joined through work. I'm sure you can find the information here, (Membership - Truliant Federal Credit Union) though.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:46 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Default Rather not go into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
Not sure why you posted this comment ^

I am a member with Truliant and have not had any problems with them. I've had a checking, savings, Christmas Club account, two car loans, and after we sold our house (and didn't have another to move into) they showed us a HomeBuyer's CD that worked perfectly for the situation we were in.

I'm not exactly sure what their membership requirements are; I joined through work. I'm sure you can find the information here, (Membership - Truliant Federal Credit Union) though.
As this forum is not for bashing places or people for that matter, let's just say that I have been irrevocably spoiled by Honda Federal Credit Union in CA. I can do everything online with HFCU, never have to go in a branch (which is a good thing since I live in NC) and get prompt, concise answers via e-mail in less than 24 hours. I joined Truiliant for convenience and was horrified to have to actually go INTO the branch (I don't do banks) and when I did, the lines were horrendous. I could go on & on but they are not in the 21st century and their customer service is horrible. That is only a small part of my complaint.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Coastal Federal Credit Union has a great interest bearing checking account. An even better deal than the free Crown account my wife gets throught Wachovia.

COASTAL - Experience the Difference. - Go Green Checking

Do you know if they have branches in the Charleston, SC area? By looking at their site, I can't tell for certain?

TIA

Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Chromekitty they don't have a branch in Charleston. I believe they are generally limited to NC and mostly in Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte