Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times

Advertisements

The poor schools will not even get to see the speech. How is that right for anyone?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

540 posts, read 1,706,280 times
You people - the ones that oppose ANYTHING the President does - are Freakin Wackos! - Ok, He's going to give an inspirational speech to the youth of America. You Right wingers have to turn everything around...CUT THE CRAP ALREADY...There was an election - A FAIR ELECTION - and guess what..the American People rejected the destructive right wing politics and elected hope and change....If you don't like our political process - get out of my Country! - The President will be on, and you should show your utmost respect for him. Just as we on the left had to, for the 8 years previous....stop making everything a contrived controversy....

Old 09-03-2009, 02:48 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
You people - the ones that oppose ANYTHING the President does - are Freakin Wackos! - Ok, He's going to give an inspirational speech to the youth of America. You Right wingers have to turn everything around...CUT THE CRAP ALREADY...There was an election - A FAIR ELECTION - and guess what..the American People rejected the destructive right wing politics and elected hope and change....If you don't like our political process - get out of my Country! - The President will be on, and you should show your utmost respect for him. Just as we on the left had to, for the 8 years previous....stop making everything a contrived controversy....

The Youth in my household have parents...who the heck are you to judge me for making the best decision I can for my family. THIS IS MY COUNTRY TOO AND UNDER THE CONSTITUTION WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO OUR OPINIONS.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Well this thread won't last very long.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM

74 posts, read 133,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
No offense...but if you are confused as to why Parents may choose to opt out you have not been paying close attention to this Administration.

And an earlier post stated: I must be in the minority here but I feel very uncomfortable about this. In the past, I would not have thought twice, but with the way our country is headed this makes me troubled.
Robin2007, I don't do oblique statements well so could you explain exactly what you mean by the above two statements regarding "not paying close attention to this Administration" and "the way our country is headed..."

These statements seem to hang in the air, thick with some type of innuendo.

Lori

Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM

223 posts, read 531,837 times
Oh boy.......I just wonder if these same comments would be posted if it were a different president. You know what I am saying......

Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Well this 'freakin wacko' works 60 hrs a week and pays taxes, so I can voice my opinion.

This is my country also, having voted in every single election since I was 18, major and minor.
I have the right to my opinion just as you to yours.

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but i shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."
-François-Marie Arouet [Voltaire]

Again, I LOVE the positive youth message, but I do not like the 'How will you serve Obama?' question.
I would also voice disapproval if it was Bush/McCain or whoever.
It should be 'How will you serve America.'
It's Orwellian.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriColchester View Post
Robin2007, I don't do oblique statements well so could you explain exactly what you mean by the above two statements regarding "not paying close attention to this Administration" and "the way our country is headed..."

These statements seem to hang in the air, thick with some type of innuendo.

Lori
Well, here is my take on it.

I will say what others are not saying.

There are those of us who are old enough - and some of us who had family in Germany - preceding WWII. And I think that for many folks, this whole thing sounds too much like the German Youth Movement and the "personal" touch that Obama has put on this seems too much like adulation of the "Dear Leader" (Kim Jong il) i.e., "let's all join in and make President Obama proud of us," etc.

However, I would remind everyone - President Kennedy did something similar. He didn't go so far as to have a live broadcast that interrupts a regular school day, but he did create The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Awards, and various fitness events were held in schools, ribbons and awards given out, etc. and we were all told this was something special we were doing b/c President Kennedy was concerned about us, lol.

Please note: I am merely explaining - don't flame me!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,311 times
It's funny when President Bush was going for election the first time around my children were in Catholic schools and I am pro-choice but my kids came home and said we must vote for Bush as he doesn't want us to kill all the little babies!. I was furious that they got this message but having grown up in a household where my mother and father were as opposite as you can get - mother = genghis khan, father involved in civil rights- I knew that I had to let them listen and make their own minds up and hopefully not shove my views down their throats. I am a good parent and I monitor my children aged 15 and 11 at all times but they do have to listen to both sides of the argument so although I was against Bush speaking to my children I didn't interfere. They are well balanced children so far and I don't think the little speech affected them that much in fact I don't think they even remember it so I think the children of America will be ok when they hear the President speak.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

Again, I LOVE the positive youth message, but I do not like the 'How will you serve Obama?' question.
I would also voice disapproval if it was Bush/McCain or whoever.
It should be 'How will you serve America.'
It's Orwellian.
Just curious, I'm looking at the following link. http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

Where did you find the quote "How will you serve Obama?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte