Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,611,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Sorry, this just isn't about race and to keep repeating/hearing that accusation is insulting.
Look, it's all up to interpretation. To imply that every person that disagrees is a racist would be insulting. But to imply that race has no impact at all for some.... well, that's just as insulting.

I posted my comment to try to explain a point of view in response to a specific question. You or I may not agree, but there are people that have a valid gripe on both sides of the issue. Rather than dismiss folks that dont share my opinion, I try to learn what I can and move on.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
bay, just look at it this way...at least you get rep points!

Hmmm.... on second thought.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Look, it's all up to interpretation. To imply that every person that disagrees is a racist would be insulting. But to imply that race has no impact at all for some.... well, that's just as insulting.

I posted my comment to try to explain a point of view in response to a specific question. You or I may not agree, but there are people that have a valid gripe on both sides of the issue. Rather than dismiss folks that dont share my opinion, I try to learn what I can and move on.
We're getting to the heart of the matter, it is about perspective.
Personally it's all about platform/ideology for me, I don't care if the President is black, white, cellophane, or polyethylene.

I've been frustrated with the white guys for 15+ years, and frustrated with a black guy for a few months. That just can't be 'racist'

Let's figure this out.

Last edited by mullman; 09-03-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,522,508 times
In a recent poll, I think it was 24% of North Carolina Republicans believed that Obama was not a citizen. Like it or not, there is a significant segment of the population who are anti-Obama - because of his race, background, "Muslim beliefs", etc. There is absolutely a vehement personal hatred that is part of the equation that is at play here - this is not to say that all or even most who oppose Obama's health care policy or his policies in general is part of this segment, but it's absolutely out there. Just read the comments section of the Observer every day...

It's unfortunate, because the extremists get in the way of an honest debate...just as Code Pink and others did under the previous administration.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,038,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
This is addressed to anyone that feels the need to send me a nasty comment via rep points. If you have something to say to me personally feel free to post in the forum or send me a direct message so I know who you are.

If you are man/woman enough to say it, be man/woman enough to stand behind it.
I wrote you a comment in a rep because it veered off topic and I was afraid the thread would be closed.

It wasn't even nasty in my opinion...(That wasn't my intention...)

All I did was respond to your comment about people being irrational about Obama. And I just said and people who LOVE obama are rational?
I just am repeating your exact comment but on the flip side...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
In a recent poll, I think it was 24% of North Carolina Republicans believed that Obama was not a citizen. Like it or not, there is a significant segment of the population who are anti-Obama - because of his race, background, "Muslim beliefs", etc. There is absolutely a vehement personal hatred that is part of the equation that is at play here - this is not to say that all or even most who oppose Obama's health care policy or his policies in general is part of this segment, but it's absolutely out there. Just read the comments section of the Observer every day...

It's unfortunate, because the extremists get in the way of an honest debate...just as Code Pink and others did under the previous administration.
At least if I got upset with Clinton or Bush I didn't get called an ignorant Southerner, wh/ I have been called since Obama got elected. I have been told I am a racist, an ignorant hate-filled Southerner, a right wing nutball, etc. And this was after simply questioning some of Obama's decisions (such as firing GM's CEO), appointing folks for newly created positions that have no over-sight, etc.

I think it is curious that Obama is addressing all the children of the nation during the school day. Besides being interruptive, it seems to be an attempt to shift focus to the Cult of Obama rather than to the issue of education. That is just how I feel right now, but until I see/hear what he has to say, I am gonna reserve judgment (other than recognizing my initial reaction).

Some people may see it as refreshing and some may see it as intrusive. What I don't understand is why such a big issue is made out of anyone who isn't a member of the Obama Fan Club. Heck, Clinton got impeached. Bush was practically burned at the stake! Yet, we all tolerated each other's feelings about Bush and Clinton. Today, you voice the same kind of "meehh" attitude about Obama and suddenly you are nefarious and a racist. I just find it all weird.

I bet I could stand out in the middle of uptown Charlotte and scream out obscenities against God and no one would say a thing. But if I did the same about Obama, someone would doubtless want me LOCKED UP! Now, that seems really strange to me, folks.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,522,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
At least if I got upset with Clinton or Bush I didn't get called an ignorant Southerner, wh/ I have been called since Obama got elected. I have been told I am a racist, an ignorant hate-filled Southerner, a right wing nutball, etc. And this was after simply questioning some of Obama's decisions (such as firing GM's CEO), appointing folks for newly created positions that have no over-sight, etc.

I think it is curious that Obama is addressing all the children of the nation during the school day. Besides being interruptive, it seems to be an attempt to shift focus to the Cult of Obama rather than to the issue of education. That is just how I feel right now, but until I see/hear what he has to say, I am gonna reserve judgment (other than recognizing my initial reaction).

Some people may see it as refreshing and some may see it as intrusive. What I don't understand is why such a big issue is made out of anyone who isn't a member of the Obama Fan Club. Heck, Clinton got impeached. Bush was practically burned at the stake! Yet, we all tolerated each other's feelings about Bush and Clinton. Today, you voice the same kind of "meehh" attitude about Obama and suddenly you are nefarious and a racist. I just find it all weird.

I bet I could stand out in the middle of uptown Charlotte and scream out obscenities against God and no one would say a thing. But if I did the same about Obama, someone would doubtless want me LOCKED UP! Now, that seems really strange to me, folks.
I agree, to a point. But remember that after 9/11 and in the leadup to the Iraq War, if you dared question the Bush administration, you were "emboldening the enemy" and told to move to France or something. Remember "Freedom Fries" and all that nonsense.

The Republican party, especially the hard-core base, is really a regional party centered in the South. Partially because of stereotypes, partially because of elitism, partially based on the some images of extremists and partially based in reality, there is an ignorant Southerner thing at work. Unfortunately, some of both sides feed into this caricature.

What you get in Charlotte is essentially a meeting place for folks from all over, with a lot of different views. The fact that states like NC and VA went for Obama points to the rapidly shifting demographics and voting patterns...and where you have thing happening, you're unfortunately going to have conflict.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:

I think it is curious that Obama is addressing all the children of the nation during the school day.
Not sure if you remember, but Reagan and Bush did the same thing. One of them had a say no to drugs message. I can't remember which.

Quote:
Today, you voice the same kind of "meehh" attitude about Obama and suddenly you are nefarious and a racist. I just find it all weird.
I don't see that in my real life experiences- and that goes for people of ll races, but primarily Black. Some people like what he is doing, some don't and some are still reserving judgement. I do see/hear a lot of crazy wacko stuff that makes me shake my head. These boards are not reflective of my real life exeriences.

Quote:
Let me know if you get locked up. I'll start a CD "Bail Ani Out of Jail" drive.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 AM

852 posts, read 2,458,370 times
Here is a link to the address that President George H W Bush gave to students in 1991.

George Bush Presidential Library and Museum :: Public Papers - 1991 - October

Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times
Quote:

I also find it to be lazy. How easy is it for people not to think about the issue, engage in real debate on the issue, find a compromise or see another point of view...just dismiss and vilify in one swoop....call the opposition racist. Now it's one thing when it comes from Joe Citizen, it's another when it comes from elected officials or political appointees. Shame on them for taking the lazy, easy way out. I expect a lot more than name calling constituents when they don't like the policies being promoting.

Quote:
there is an ignorant Southerner thing at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: