Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some information on HVAC preventative maintenance, specifically average cost and is it worth it?

I tend to be the type of person who does not do preventative maintenance on my car or other large purchases and so far nothing has happened that would make me change my mind.

Any recommendations for a good HVAC service company? I have a Trane unit.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 AM

201 posts, read 670,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I'm looking for some information on HVAC preventative maintenance, specifically average cost and is it worth it?

I tend to be the type of person who does not do preventative maintenance on my car or other large purchases and so far nothing has happened that would make me change my mind.

Any recommendations for a good HVAC service company? I have a Trane unit.

Thanks.
I think it depends on how old your unit is. When we purchased our house, the inspector said the HVAC unit was close to "the end of its useful life" lol. We crossed our fingers, didn't do anything extra, and had another four years without any problems.

When it did croak, however, we purchased a new unit (Trane as well). We are on their maintenance plan where they come out several times a year to check everything. And of course, now the price escaped me, but I'll post when my mind comes back from weekend time.

We use Acosta, and I think they will service units even if they didn't install them (as will several other local HVAC companies).

In my opinion, if you're planning on being there for a while, it can't hurt to have preventative maintenance. I'd get some quotes from different companies, because they can vary greatly.

Even if it's someone that comes out once or twice a year to check on the unit, that may save you $$$ down the line, especially if you plan to be in your house for a while.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,422 times
I use Gastonia Sheet Metal @ $14 a month.
They come twice a year and do their thing.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
If you unit(s) are less than 10 years old, I don't see what they can do for you except to charge you money. Older than that, it's worth having your heat exchanger checked for cracking if you have gas heat. You only need this once/year.

Otherwise, if it is heating and cooling to your satisfaction, there isn't any maintenance you can do except to keep the filters changed, and keep the outside compressor unit clean and clear of vegetation. It's worth doing a visual check once/year to make sure the exhaust pipe is OK and you don't see anything like leaking water. I recommend the cheapest filters you can get but change them every 30 days or less when they are being used.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 PM

210 posts, read 604,152 times
I believe you can void warranty on newer units if you don't do the maintenance.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
It can also void your home warranty if you don't get the things checked yearly.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It can also void your home warranty if you don't get the things checked yearly.
Is this a fact or conjecture? Wouldnt it depend on the make and model?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
The main thing that this service does is to CLEAN THE CONDENSOR and evaporator so they will have a good flow of air through them. If you dont the system will be put under a strain and have to work harder, This can lead to the compressor overheating and you WILL PAY BIG BUCKS THEN..aLSO SOME MOTORS NEED TO BE OILED ,if not they will wear out sooner and more BIG bucks.....As far as freon you shouldnt ever need extra added unless you develope a leak. Shop for service or learn how to do this yourself. Its not that hard to do.As others said change the filters at least 2 times a year. Note that TRANE will NOT sell parts to the public but you can get any part you need from Dand L parts(monroe road and freedom drive much cheaper than Trane)

Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
^I have never seen a furnace that specs twice a year filter changing. it should be done every 30 days. If you follow this, the interior coils will not need to be cleaned for a long time. Likewise, modern motors are sealed and don't need to be oiled. Maybe they exist, but if you do it to a motor that doesn't need it, you can damage it.

Amazing that you want people to learn to add freon but think that you need service to come out and spray off your compressor unit. Adding freon is the one time when you DO call in service because they will need to do a pressure check to make sure this is what needs to be fixed. I am willing to bet that most people don't have this equipment. Adding freon to a full unit can cause major problems.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Is this a fact or conjecture? Wouldnt it depend on the make and model?
Fact. My home warranty would be void if I didn't do the maintenance checks.

I used the word "can", which denotes the possibility of it happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte