U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,007,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Do you guys think today will be a holiday one year?
I don't know. Part of me thinks that is a great idea, the day should be memorialized officially, the other part hates to think that eventually Sept. 11 will become one more long weekend for late season swimming parties, barbecues, linen and appliance sales at the mall.

I was pleased to hear that at each of my kids schools they had a moment of silence.

I am compelled to watch the coverage again each year, perhaps afraid that I too will forget. Fox news is running coverage from tonight at 10 pm with no commercials. MSNBC did the same thing this morning. I am propelled back in time as I watch...I'm in my pajamas (we were in an earlier time zone) getting breakfast ready for my kids when the phone rings. DH tells me turn on the TV, something is happening in NY.

I watch for a few minutes, tell him I will call him back with more details as they come in. I see the second plane hit and just can't speak. The news anchors start talking about how many possible casualties, 10,000 maybe 20,000.

Suddenly, I am aware of the kids in the breakfast room, finishing breakfast and getting giggly...the only time in their lives I can remember blocking them out. They were too young to understand, too young to watch and yet I had to. I kept them busy in the other room, we canceled school for the day.

I was on the phone with DH when the first tower fell....I told him, "It's gone. It's gone...the whole tower is gone." He nearly didn't understand what I was telling him. I kept thinking, 20,000 people, 20,000 people. I thank God now that the news anchors were wrong on the numbers. It continued all day....the reports of the pentagon hit, the other tower down, a plane down in PA, rumors that other planes were still in the air, maybe more were unaccounted for, the president can't come back to Washington......

Three things from that day still haunt me.
When the bodies started falling from the tower. The choice those people were faced with.... I later saw a documentary filmed that day and you could hear it outside the building....at least 15-20 loud thumps...a fireman explained to the camera man what the sound was.

Later in the afternoon a news crew was at a nearby hospital where hundreds of makeshift stretchers were stacked up against the walls, piled up on the sidewalks outside, waiting for the survivors from the fallen towers. Those stretchers were never used. The survivors never came.

And, the next morning when I turned on the news...compared to the mayhem, the hundreds of people running and crying and the sirens of the day before, it was relatively quiet as the rescue workers began the daunting task of searching through the rubble on abandoned streets. You could hear them everywhere...artificial chirping sounds coming from the piles. It sounded strangely like the hundreds of bugs I hear outside on a warm summer night...continuous chirping. I didn't know what was making the sound until they said it on the news. Location beacons....worn by city fireman, police, paramedics. I wish I didn't know now.

I wasn't in NYC that day. I don't know anyone who was directly affected.
All I know is that we should never forget.

Last edited by NCyank; 09-11-2009 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,303,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I don't know. Part of me thinks that is a great idea, the day should be memorialized officially, the other part hates to think that eventually Sept. 11 will become one more long weekend for late season swimming parties, barbecues, linen and appliance sales at the mall.

I was pleased to hear that at each of my kids schools they had a moment of silence.

I am compelled to watch the coverage again each year, perhaps afraid that I too will forget. Fox news is running coverage from tonight at 10 pm with no commercials. MSNBC did the same thing this morning. I am propelled back in time as I watch...I'm in my pajamas (we were in an earlier time zone) getting breakfast ready for my kids when the phone rings. DH tells me turn on the TV, something is happening in NY.

I watch for a few minutes, tell him I will call him back with more details as they come in. I see the second plane hit and just can't speak. The news anchors start talking about how many possible casualties, 10,000 maybe 20,000.

Suddenly, I am aware of the kids in the breakfast room, finishing breakfast and getting giggly...the only time in their lives I can remember blocking them out. They were too young to understand, too young to watch and yet I had to. I kept them busy in the other room, we canceled school for the day.

I was on the phone with DH when the first tower fell....I told him, "It's gone. It's gone...the whole tower is gone." He nearly didn't understand what I was telling him. I kept thinking, 20,000 people, 20,000 people. I thank God now that the news anchors were wrong on the numbers. It continued all day....the reports of the pentagon hit, the other tower down, a plane down in PA, rumors that other planes were still in the air, maybe more were unaccounted for, the president can't come back to Washington......

Three things from that day still haunt me.
When the bodies started falling from the tower. The choice those people were faced with.... I later saw a documentary filmed that day and you could hear it outside the building....at least 15-20 loud thumps...a fireman explained to the camera man what the sound was.

Later in the afternoon a news crew was at a nearby hospital where hundreds of makeshift stretchers were stacked up against the walls, piled up on the sidewalks outside, waiting for the survivors from the fallen towers. Those stretchers were never used. The survivors never came.

And, the next morning when I turned on the news...compared to the mayhem, the hundreds of people running and crying and the sirens of the day before, it was relatively quiet as the rescue workers began the daunting task of searching through the rubble on abandoned streets. You could hear them everywhere...artificial chirping sounds coming from the piles. It sounded strangely like the hundreds of bugs I hear outside on a warm summer night...continuous chirping. I didn't know what was making the sound until they said it on the news. Location beacons....worn by city fireman, police, paramedics. I wish I didn't know now.

I wasn't in NYC that day. I don't know anyone who was directly affected.
All I know is that we should never forget.
Nice Post! And we will not forget-
http://aku-aku.com/nyc/BEAMS1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or