U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Great speech! My sons were not able to watch it today at school but they will watch it tonight. Even if he only touched one student, that is one more then before. I am sure he has inspired many to be the best they can be. It is sad that so many people were against this speech. I don't care what your political beliefs are, you can not say this was not something our youth should watch.
I plan to watch it again. It reminded - in tone - of some of Churchill's speeches during WWII - when he encouraged folks to "never give up!" Also - very good reminder about perfecting skills - he emphasized practice and working hard - not taking the easy way out. No way anyone could object to this message of encouragement.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM

12 posts, read 17,618 times
"The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students,"

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It was a fine speech.

I only wish he had the same confidence in the
American people. I haven't heard him address ANY adults with this kind of enthusiasm, encouragement, confidence or emphasis on personal accountability.
You must have missed his first speech to the joint session of Congress (his first unofficial State of the Union address).

Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,031,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You must have missed his first speech to the joint session of Congress (his first unofficial State of the Union address).
You mean this one???
Quote:
OBAMA:You don't need to hear another list of statistics to know that our economy is in crisis, because you live it every day. It's the worry you wake up with and the source of sleepless nights. It's the job you thought you'd retire from but now have lost, the business you built your dreams upon that's now hanging by a thread, the college acceptance letter your child had to put back in the envelope.
What is required now is for this country to pull together, confront boldly the challenges we face, and take responsibility for our future once more.

Now, if we're honest with ourselves, we'll admit that for too long we have not always met these responsibilities, as a government or as a people. I say this not to lay blame or to look backwards, but because it is only by understanding how we arrived at this moment that we'll be able to lift ourselves out of this predicament.
Where then he goes on to say how he, government, will fix it all for us?? Then he lists about 100 government programs that he wants to implement to fix all the ones that have failed in the past. Uh, yeah. Not so inspiring.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
Quote:
You mean this one???
Where then he goes on to say how he, government, will fix it all for us?? Then he lists about 100 government programs that he wants to implement to fix all the ones that have failed in the past. Uh, yeah. Not so inspiring.
Hell, show me ANY president who hasn't done that. What's he supposed to do, say "This mess we're all in is the collective fault of all of us. So take responsibility for creating it and just do the best you can. I can't help you with any of it. Good night, and Godspeed"? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

The type of speech you're wanting him to give comes from a minister or a therapist, so I think you're looking in the wrong place.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM

240 posts, read 658,765 times
Smile speech

I watched the speech at home and i know my daughters school was showing it. They had sent out a recorded message to parents that they need to send in a note if they did not want their children to watch it.
I found it to be inspiring and I certainly hope it did make our young people who will be our leaders of tomorrow, sit up and realize that they define their future.
My daughter hears a speech like this from me on a daily basis and it was funny to hear him use the same language i use to her.

Not every child has the family support when it comes to education and so I sincerely hope that this inspiring speech can turn around some of their lives and give them the encouragment to stand tall, work hard and get a good education. They have to be strong and believe in the themselves when others don't.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
You mean this one???
Which goes back to why parents were concerned what their kids would hear in this speech.

There really are folks amongst us who are concerned with our kids thinking the gubment is gonna fix it all for us, LOL. That is the "indoctrination" that parents voiced concern over.

This speech focused on personal responsibility and not on government initiatives. But I can see why parents initially reacted with questions and concerns.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,031,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Hell, show me ANY president who hasn't done that. What's he supposed to do, say "This mess we're all in is the collective fault of all of us. So take responsibility for creating it and just do the best you can. I can't help you with any of it. Good night, and Godspeed"? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

The type of speech you're wanting him to give comes from a minister or a therapist, so I think you're looking in the wrong place.
So Obama was playing a minister or therapist when he spoke so encouragingly to those students?

And yes, I can see a president who would stand up and say...This is quite a mess we're in. Government can't fix it....but the American people can. Their talents, their strengths, their desire, their ambition, their determination, their innovation....government only gets in the way of recovery and we don't need MORE government programs, we need LESS government intrusion. We had a president like that once. I remember, very clearly, being inspired by Ronald Reagan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Which goes back to why parents were concerned what their kids would hear in this speech.

There really are folks amongst us who are concerned with our kids thinking the gubment is gonna fix it all for us, LOL. That is the "indoctrination" that parents voiced concern over.

This speech focused on personal responsibility and not on government initiatives. But I can see why parents initially reacted with questions and concerns.
I fit very well in that category, although I have said all along that my kids would go to school, participate to the extent the teachers planned and even watch or listen to the speech at home should they not have the option at school. I suspect that they will also notice the same discrepancy between this speech and other things they have heard from this president. If Obama would speak like he did today all the time (and actually believe it), he might actually get somewhere.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,743,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
We are fortunate to have lumbollo in this forum, he does his research (thank you!) and instead of flinging vitriol states the case. We are also fortunate, as a nation, that Jimmy Carter is still around and continues to do good works.
Well, I think he states HIS CASE. Nothing wrong with that as it is always wise to hear another person's opinion. Sometimes however, "research" will present that side of the ledger that fits a person's agenda.
Surely, you can't have a beef with that notion. You know, it happens.

As far as your Carter comment, well I won't touch him (topic) with a "a 10' pole".

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,141,709 times
We should be inspiring our children to do better through setting a proper example for them, instead of depending on a politician to do it for us. Just MHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte