U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,741,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
We should be inspiring our children to do better through setting a proper example for them, instead of depending on a politician to do it for us. Just MHO.
I shudder at the thought if any thing OTHER than this practiced in the home.

When I used to say I'll ask my big brother, I meant the guy that slept in the other bedroom of our house.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 17,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traintrack View Post
"The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students,"

Richard Gephardt (D), then the House Majority Leader

when President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991

Also:

Rep. William Ford, then chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate the cost and legality of Bush's appearance. On October 17, 1991, Ford summoned then-Education Secretary Lamar Alexander and other top Bush administration officials to testify at a hearing devoted to the speech.

"The hearing this morning is to really examine the expenditure of $26,750 of the Department of Education funds to produce and televise an appearance by President Bush at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, DC," Ford began. "As the chairman of the committee charged with the authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you all are starting to become aware that the whole "Right vs. Left" industry is extremely important to both parties. That is why our Nation is on the verge of collapse in my opinion. Look at what has happened! And the media wants us to take sides!

Vote them all out. I never would throw my Country under the bus by voting for a Dem or Pub. We need to clean the hill.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,339,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
So Obama was playing a minister or therapist when he spoke so encouragingly to those students?
Children routinely need that type of motivation to succeed as they are in their formative years. Grown men and women are a totally different group.

Quote:
And yes, I can see a president who would stand up and say...This is quite a mess we're in. Government can't fix it....but the American people can. Their talents, their strengths, their desire, their ambition, their determination, their innovation....government only gets in the way of recovery and we don't need MORE government programs, we need LESS government intrusion. We had a president like that once. I remember, very clearly, being inspired by Ronald Reagan.
Ronald Reagan still had to outline the role of the federal government by introducing programs and initiatives to do what he wanted to do. No president would ever address the American people during an economic crisis and essentially say, "You guys are smart enough to get out of this mess on your own. You don't need me." That would be the height of irresponsibility and Reagan never did such a thing.

The fact is that I showed you where Obama did something you said you'd never saw him do, but of course, you had to find something else to find fault with. I can certainly give you examples before he became president, but you'd probably find something wrong with those also.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,339,357 times
Quote:
We should be inspiring our children to do better through setting a proper example for them, instead of depending on a politician to do it for us. Just MHO.
I doubt that any sensible parent is depending on a politician to inspire their children, but having one reinforce the values they are already being taught should be a welcome thing. I could really see a parent rushing to turn off the TV when the following commercial aired so as to not have their children dependent on commercials inspiring their children:

YouTube - Stay In School

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,470 times
Quote:
That would be nice, but not all parents are like "us" and do not take the time to give them encouragement to be all they can be. If all parents were doing their job there would not be so many problems with the young people that there are. I am glad to see the President taking the initiative to inspire our young people. Children as well as many adults think everything should come easy and they shouldn't have to work or struggle to be better.

Last edited by ssd3; 09-08-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,741,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Children routinely need that type of motivation to succeed
And there are a lot of places they can achieve that motivationarents, teachers, church, temple, brothers, sister, mentors, uncles, aunts, cub scouts, girl, scouts, lil league, soccer team, after school hel programs, library programs, and on and on and on.

I think it's dramatic if a President walks into a classroom. Live in person. What could be a bigger thrill than that. But, a pep talk (either Rep. or Dom, don't matter) doesn't do it for me other than having a taint of pols. associated w/it.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,030,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Children routinely need that type of motivation to succeed as they are in their formative years. Grown men and women are a totally different group.
I find it odd that you think children need to be encouraged to do their best, to take personal responsibility and stop making excuses and as adults we have to accept that really all we can do is wait for the government to fix our lives. I think the latter 'adult' reasoning is why we have so many people who need government programs to fill in every gap in our lives. It's OK, government will extend unemployment and provide health care and food and housing and even pay for your clunker....you can make all the excuses you want as an adult.
Quote:
"You guys are smart enough to get out of this mess on your own. You don't need me." That would be the height of irresponsibility and Reagan never did such a thing.
You are stretching my words quite a bit here. There's a HUGE difference between saying 'you are all on your own buddy' and 'we'll get out of your way and not impede your growth/potential with government intrusion'. Reagan was about the latter, the former came from you.
Quote:
The fact is that I showed you where Obama did something you said you'd never saw him do, but of course, you had to find something else to find fault with. I can certainly give you examples before he became president, but you'd probably find something wrong with those also.
No, there is nothing in the speech you gave that came close to promoting personal responsibility to rise to the top despite difficult circumstances, to pull your own weight, reach for your potential, stop making excuses....it was ALL about how Obama was going to fix it for us and how the programs we relied on let us down and how he was going to make more, better programs. I listened to it the first time, I read it again today and it's just not in there. If he approached everything the way he addressed those kids today we might be closer to being on the same page...but this was not the typical Obama in many respects (in other ways it was very typical).

Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
And there are a lot of places they can achieve that motivationarents, teachers, church, temple, brothers, sister, mentors, uncles, aunts, cub scouts, girl, scouts, lil league, soccer team, after school hel programs, library programs, and on and on and on.

I think it's dramatic if a President walks into a classroom. Live in person. What could be a bigger thrill than that. But, a pep talk (either Rep. or Dom, don't matter) doesn't do it for me other than having a taint of pols. associated w/it.
Not everyone has these positive roll models(it would be nice, if only we lived in a perfect world) Many kids rely on their friends as their support and many of them are a bad influences. I don't understan why it is so wrong for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to give these kids some encouragement. Like it or not he is the President and he had a positive message for our children. Why can't it be accepted for what it was. Come on people lets pull together. It's our country and I am sure even if you or I did not vote for this President we would all like to see him succeed and if he encouraged some kids along the way GREAT!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,155,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post

that's because you are an adult. To a child, especially an elementary school-age child, it's exciting and dramatic. Do you care when the space shuttle goes up? I don't really anymore, but when I was a kid we watched every launch in my elementary school. It is exciting and important through a child's eyes, and they don't see the stupid politics the grown ups try to pin on an event like this.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,948,802 times
I don't understand why this is being argued as an "either or" situation.

I watched this speech on TV when it was on this morning, and I don't see any reason why it should not be shown to all kids. Basically he said that if you stay and school and work hard, then anything is possible if you apply yourself. He gave his example of a poor Black boy, or rather mixed race which some have even more of a problem with, and through nothing but hard work, he had no family connections, became President of the USA. Hell, it's inspiring to me as a cynical old fart (well not that old).

I don't know what example would demonstrate better the ideals of what being an American is all about. Obama has proved this is the land where there is equality for all. Good lord. Further words escape me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte