Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDGandhi View Post
Obviously, they don't remember when Reagan and Bush did the same--- you would think Obama was going to make all the children swallow mindcontrol pills. Some of the drivel I have read is unbelievably paranoid.
Well its very telling how as a nation people are wary of a president speaking to their kids. Of course it will not sink in to the people/person who should be taking note since their mindset is that of royalty. The support he saw last November is slipping and fast, the trust level has been broken and that's hard to get back. People don't like being steamrolled into something that they don't understand and will not take the 'its the only way to fix it' line as gospel. Drivel? I think not.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,531 times
There is no problem with our president speaking to my children. I am a hands on parent and my children are old enough to think for themselves. The objection that I had was preprograming the k through 6th grade students with questions that would steer them to the governments ajenda, writing a theme on how they can help the pres. do his thing.
We believe that the president's office is the highest in the land. Excuse me. A American citizen is the highest office, He works for us. We pay the bills....did you get that education. Vietnam taught me a heathly distrust of my government employees. Wished you all was educated in that....not all education is learned in school.
Was it in the speach that the education of our children would determine the finacial out come of our country? How about borrowing a whole lot of money to bail out grown men and women who had run their businesses into the ground. It wasn't done by a student or are you saying that the pres. didn't get a good education and that is why he made this stupid mistake with our money and hawked our childrens future to the bone. No wonder why he wants all our children to become educated, work hard and live off social security.
I'm not prejudice... I think every one should own a politican.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I find it odd that you think children need to be encouraged to do their best, to take personal responsibility and stop making excuses and as adults we have to accept that really all we can do is wait for the government to fix our lives. I think the latter 'adult' reasoning is why we have so many people who need government programs to fill in every gap in our lives. It's OK, government will extend unemployment and provide health care and food and housing and even pay for your clunker....you can make all the excuses you want as an adult.
I'll just take your next words and apply them to yourself here: "You are stretching my words quite a bit here." Where the hell did I say anything about us waiting on government to do everything for us? Where? WHERE????

Quote:
You are stretching my words quite a bit here. There's a HUGE difference between saying 'you are all on your own buddy' and 'we'll get out of your way and not impede your growth/potential with government intrusion'. Reagan was about the latter, the former came from you.
Ummm, that's practically the same thing. You're distorting someone's position to say that "I'm not going to do anything at all. You can fix it yourself through your very vivid imaginations." I find that to be quite funny, but it's not even worth the back-and-forth. Did Dubya do such a thing? Daddy Bush? If not, did you lob criticism at them for it? Or is Obama held to this more stringent standard?

Quote:
No, there is nothing in the speech you gave that came close to promoting personal responsibility to rise to the top despite difficult circumstances, to pull your own weight, reach for your potential, stop making excuses....it was ALL about how Obama was going to fix it for us and how the programs we relied on let us down and how he was going to make more, better programs. I listened to it the first time, I read it again today and it's just not in there. If he approached everything the way he addressed those kids today we might be closer to being on the same page...but this was not the typical Obama in many respects (in other ways it was very typical).
Okay, how about this one:

YouTube - Barack Obama's Speech on Father's Day

But he was then a presidential candidate, so you'd probably say it doesn't count.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,039 times
Default A President Of The People ???

Greeting's,

As many of us suspected there has been an enormous amount of citizen opposition to the Presidents speech to public school children.........

Perhaps the best approach in determining just what our President's so called agenda and or current ambitions for America truly are is this :

We should without doubt totally concentrate on what the President "does" as he progresses through the term of his Presidency..... and "Not" on what he continually "says" he will do....... for America..........

The existence of mounting citizen distrust and suspicion regarding the most powerful and prestigious political office in this nation is indeed unfortunate and extremely detrimental to it's positive progress.

The Presidents speech to our school children has now been accomplished and it's intensive scrutiny in many camps of opposition has doubtless begun in earnest...........

As loyal citizens of this great republic it is our vital duty to closely watch what all of our elected represenatives are actually "Doing"..... We must never allow ourselves to become overly engrossed in the continual "Politics As Usual" practice or "Game" regarding excessive and exhaustive rhetoric
and glowing promises by our elected leaders.

Many on this forum may well agree with the content of this post..... And begin to closely and most seriously watch what our President "does" from this day forward..... Best regards & Thank You L.F.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
that's because you are an adult. To a child, especially an elementary school-age child, it's exciting and dramatic. Do you care when the space shuttle goes up? I don't really anymore, but when I was a kid we watched every launch in my elementary school. It is exciting and important through a child's eyes, and they don't see the stupid politics the grown ups try to pin on an event like this.
If space shuttle launches are not exciting to you any longer (they are to me) then I don't know what qualifications you have to say " to a child. . it's exciting and dramatic".

And you're 1000% correct with "they don't see the stupid politics. . .". However, I'm not quite sure that's good or bad and I need a little time to think about that statement you brought to the table.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't understand why this is being argued as an "either or" situation.
I'll venture a guess: Maybe it's b/c we have a two party system and one side or the other ALWAYS has an agenda??
I could be wrong. Maybe the idea is too simpilistic? Maybe Obama is a decent guy with no political motives? Could that be it?? How do I know, or you, we're just the pawns.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
If space shuttle launches are not exciting to you any longer (they are to me) then I don't know what qualifications you have to say " to a child. . it's exciting and dramatic".

And you're 1000% correct with "they don't see the stupid politics. . .". However, I'm not quite sure that's good or bad and I need a little time to think about that statement you brought to the table.
my qualifications are working with young children for the past 10 years.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
my qualifications are working with young children for the past 10 years.
OK. Thanks for the answer. Honestly, not good enough for me, but I accept your answer as to why you feel the way you do.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:35 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's,

As many of us suspected there has been an enormous amount of citizen opposition to the Presidents speech to public school children..........
Have you got some statistics on this? I am thinking this is a very vocal very small minority.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'll venture a guess: Maybe it's b/c we have a two party system and one side or the other ALWAYS has an agenda??
I could be wrong. Maybe the idea is too simpilistic? Maybe Obama is a decent guy with no political motives? Could that be it?? How do I know, or you, we're just the pawns.
If you only view the education of children in terms of nothing but politics then I suppose you could arrive at this view. However that wasn't the context of what I was responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte