U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 8,011,441 times
Reputation: 3332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Have you got some statistics on this? I am thinking this is a very vocal very small minority.
I think you are correct. One school principal on the news this morning said only 4 out of 450 students opted out.

 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
 
7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you only view the education of children in terms of nothing but politics then I suppose you could arrive at this view. However that wasn't the context of what I was responding to.
..


What I had in mind was : Education by politicians is nothing but political.
Hope that makes sense.
And I guess you have already figured out I don't trust one single solitary pol., or what they say, or what they do. Sorry, just my feeling on the subject.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,926,101 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
.... Sorry, just my feeling on the subject.
Honestly, you owe me no apology for your emotions. I don't have any desires to approve your feelings. However if you feel the need to offer one, then I appreciate the consideration.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
 
10 posts, read 32,465 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Yup."not just another politican"...treat the man with some respect. Like a God. Like a leader of "One World". Like a man that knows what he's doing.
Follow him.
Let me guess --- in 1988, when President Regan address school-aged children in open discussion, you thought he, too, was acting as a "God"? yup, didn't think so.
 
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
Reputation: 2323
well, guys, you know I do not trust politicians of any form (being from Chicago; enough said). However, I think that there is a fine line between trusting politicians and showing respect for an office. Kids learn from us...the adults. If we do not show a certain amount of respect for an individual in authority (no matter what authority it is) they won't either. Is THAT the message that you want to send to your child? That is something to think about. Because I can promise that your actions/reactions to this ONE speech by the President of our country will stay with your child a lot longer than anything the Prez says. And, that might not be a good thing....
 
Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Indian Trail
87 posts, read 259,407 times
Reputation: 36
This is the one aspect of Charlotte (and I guess the US) that I can't stand. Everyone is so stuck in their (mostly) conservative outlook here. Guess it comes with living in the bible belt, but common, it's a speech from the president. Isn't everyone sick of the other side turning every move or idea into some great big conspiracy to trick the American people? Liberals and Conservatives both do it. I'm just sorry that politics isn't about elected officials representing the people and is about special interest groups and money running the show. Guess that happens when you have a bunch of lawyers in charge.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
 
7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
Reputation: 2564
Default Proofread what you write

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTrailer View Post
This is the one aspect of Charlotte (and I guess the US) that I can't stand. Everyone is so stuck in their (mostly) conservative outlook here. Guess it comes with living in the bible belt, but common, it's a speech from the president. Isn't everyone sick of the other side turning every move or idea into some great big conspiracy to trick the American people? Liberals and Conservatives both do it. I'm just sorry that politics isn't about elected officials representing the people and is about special interest groups and money running the show. Guess that happens when you have a bunch of lawyers in charge.
Like you say it's a shame but read your OWN post that sets your closed mind in sentence #2 and #3. Bold statement without fact.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 AM
 
575 posts, read 1,350,022 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Like you say it's a shame but read your OWN post that sets your closed mind in sentence #2 and #3. Bold statement without fact.
I don't think 'the other side' can compose any rebuttal without disclosing their blind hatred for anyone opposed to Obama. Even John Harwood of CNN labeled those parents who did not want their kids viewing the speech as an 'unfit parent'. ANY dissent of the president results in name calling from either Joe Schmo on the net or the MSM and people are getting very tired of it. For a new president in office only eight months to have so much distrust from school age parents is pretty alarming. Yet it will be ignored and the steamroller will be kept engaged. There's good reason to protect children from smooth talking, apparently well meaning adults, once they have gained the kids confidence their next step may be to take advantage.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
422 posts, read 1,214,689 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
well, guys, you know I do not trust politicians of any form (being from Chicago; enough said). However, I think that there is a fine line between trusting politicians and showing respect for an office. Kids learn from us...the adults. If we do not show a certain amount of respect for an individual in authority (no matter what authority it is) they won't either. Is THAT the message that you want to send to your child? That is something to think about. Because I can promise that your actions/reactions to this ONE speech by the President of our country will stay with your child a lot longer than anything the Prez says. And, that might not be a good thing....
Finally... a reasonable response.

I think its an absolute shame that this is even an issue. It was never an issue when President Reagan wanted to talk to me and my fellow classmates about saying no to drugs. My parents (who were democrats), never questioned or showed me any sign of disrespect when OUR PRESIDENT wanted to talk to us about education... NEVER.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 8,011,441 times
Reputation: 3332
And just what is wrong with questioning the government or even the president? Are we to follow along blindly while the White House develops lesson plans, outside of school boards and parental involvement? At what point do we begin to question? How is that disrespectful, to hold our elected officials accountable? Good grief, congress held hearings when Bush-41 spoke to school children but as a parent I am out of line to question?!?!?

Let's be clear here. I didn't keep my kids out of school or opt them out of the speech. I want them to be informed, know what is going on, hear from the president. I never thought any kid would be brainwashed but I sure as heck did question why the President of the United States was making lesson plans for my local school and every other school in this country. I agree, it is a shame that this is even an issue. It's a shame the the government no longer knows it's place and that people should be on guard. It didn't begin with Obama...just ask those who didn't trust Bush or Clinton or Bush-41 or, or, or, or.......

Our founding fathers knew it would come to this and entrusted the security of our liberty to us, each of us. We are not to blindly put our trust in the government, we are to question it at every turn regardless of who is in office or if we agree with them or not. To consider this questioning as disrespect, well, I can't more strongly disagree. A lot of conservatives only realized this as Bush stomped all over the Constitution (and he wasn't the first either). I am wondering if any liberals will wake up as Obama does the same thing?

The majority of the parents who voiced concern over this speech were not disrespectful or out of line at all. They were doing just what they should, question and hold government accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top