U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,039,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
The problem was that there was a lesson plan requiring students to explain what they can do for him as president.
That information was taken out of context. Originally, the goals were stated as having the highest number of college graduates by 2020, and the question was referring back to that: What can you do to help the President achieve his goals? It had nothing to do with healthcare or any other political issue. That question was poorly worded, but that's it.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,952,098 times
George H. Bush asked students to write him a letter when he addressed students in a similar manner.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM

247 posts, read 763,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I would be interested in knowing what "input" parents will be giving their children regarding this talk.

No need to give your party affliation.
Any speech that encourages our youth to become better students and try and acheive high goals seems positive to me.. I do not see how anyone can say its a political agenda until they heard what he has to say. I will tell my grandkids to listen to a speech that comes from someone who has walked the walk.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,033,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
George H. Bush asked students to write him a letter when he addressed students in a similar manner.
And it was investigated by congress....

Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,732,789 times
I wouldn't want the current president to be a role model for my children based on his precarious past and precarious associations. My kids didn't need anyone but me to tell them how to "walk the walk and talk the talk". But, the speech is fine now. It has been ammended.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,732,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
That question was poorly worded, but that's it.
That is my point. As president, he should have thought about what he was writing and the wording and consider tentative results. One in his position can't just jump into things without looking at all aspects and doing a better job of monitoring. His final product should have been his first and only. It sounds like a good speech now and I hope it does inspire students that need inspiring due to neglegent parents that do not encourage success. Fortunately, most of us are not in that category.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Is there no end to the compelling need to defend the current President of the United States to another President?

Lumbullo, I find most of your posts informative and backed-up with some substantiation of fact. Your're doing fine for your side of the ledger w/o the "Well Mommie HE hit me first!"

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,715,826 times
Anyone who objects to their children hearing the President's speech must either

1) Not want their children to be motivated to study hard and do well in school, or

2) Be concerned that their children might discover that President Obama is articulate and intelligent, interested in the welfare of America's children, and actually not the devil.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,905,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post

1) Not want their children to be motivated to study hard and do well in school, or

2) Be concerned that their children might discover that President Obama is articulate and intelligent, interested in the welfare of America's children, and actually not the devil.
Yes. Those could be the only two reasons

Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,033,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post

You forgot...
3) They could be a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte