Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
As I said before, most people on the topic here, be they for OR against Obama's politicaly, have been rational and straighforward. It was a compliment. If you don't feel that it applies to you, that's your issue, not mine.
Which posts did you include in "the few oddballs" comment you made previously?? Hopefully, not hers.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Hatred towards a policy is sick? Interesting.

Would you feel that way if I said I hated the policy of Nazi Germany in regards to Jews? Or is that kind of hate okay?

- M1A
I think it is useless, and if you hold it close to you it makes you sick.

I think getting beyond it and doing what you can to educate and help ensure that, for example, the Holocaust, never happens again, is useful.

Struggling with hate is part of the human condition; letting it go and moving beyond it is spiritual and emotional evolution.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM

171 posts, read 357,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
I think it is useless, and if you hold it close to you it makes you sick.

I think getting beyond it and doing what you can to educate and help ensure that, for example, the Holocaust, never happens again, is useful.

Struggling with hate is part of the human condition; letting it go and moving beyond it is spiritual and emotional evolution.
I don't disagree with you there, and I think you seem like a very level-headed and good person.

And I don't necessarily disagree with your position on "hate" in general, although, I don't think one is "sick" if they hate a particular policy. Would I be sick if I hated how much my tax bill is? Would I be sick if I hated getting stopped at each and every street light because they were timed poorly? That's nonsense.

I would agree people are sick if they have hate towards characteristics about people that people have no control over, such as color, race, sex, etc.

- Diggums

-

Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
simmer down

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you there, and I think you seem like a very level-headed and good person.

And I don't necessarily disagree with your position on "hate" in general, although, I don't think one is "sick" if they hate a particular policy. Would I be sick if I hated how much my tax bill is? Would I be sick if I hated getting stopped at each and every street light because they were timed poorly? That's nonsense.

I would agree people are sick if they have hate towards characteristics about people that people have no control over, such as color, race, sex, etc.

- Diggums

-
Well, maybe there is something we agree about!

One thing about the word hate, and this goes back to my mother ... as kids we would use that word to express a strong dislike or irritation, and man would we ever get chastised! She was serious about getting us to understand how truly deep and horrible hate and hatred is. When we got older she talked with us at length about atrocities such as the Holocaust; I'm 50+ so I was older during the '60s and we talked about (never witnessed the worst) the painful hatred acted upon as the Civil Rights movement was playing out.

She would also try to get us to dig into what we disliked, and explore what we could do about it. I think, without getting high falutin' about it, she was hoping to teach us not to hold a lot of negative emotions inside that would make it difficult to move forward in our lives. (I guess I'll find out how it's worked out when I meet my maker. )

Maybe we all (including myself) could learn to use different words to express displeasure, irritation, fear, annoyance, dislike, etc. (whatever the root feeling is).

Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
For the life of me I just can't understand why people of both parties hope and pray that the president in the party not of their choice fails. If that president fails, it has an adverse affect on the country. Shouldn't we all just hope and pray that the person in the oval office succeeds and benefits the country? I just don't understand the logic there. Which is why I suppose I am an independent. I don't think this country can take three more years of going downhill and I could never hope for it just to get the other party in.

On topic, IMO very young children in kindergarten, first or second grade should not be involoved in watching a presidential speech. It's just lost on them. Spongebob, that they get. As part of a civics lesson for older students, it could be useful. Personally, I didn't and wouldn't have any objection to my children listening to any president's speech with the exception of Nixon. That would have been a no. And if it was any member of Congress, then I would pull them out of school. They don't know their pencils from their erasers.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Presidents (any) should not be addressing our children in school. If we want our children to view this, we should be viewing it with them at home. If we want to have a discussion, parents should be discussing it with their children, not teachers.

I have not yet found out if our schools will be showing this, but if they do, my children will be staying home on Tuesday.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Good thinking. Good idea. Good parent.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
That one thing could be that parents were invited to come in and watch it with their kid, and participate in the discussion afterwards.

Obama is a coward. He'd never allow that.
The very first post in this thread says "The address will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http:Streaming Video) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET."

If the message is as insidious and persuasive as you fear it is, your kids will still remember it when they get home, and you can discuss it then.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The very first post in this thread says "The address will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http:Streaming Video) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET."

If the message is as insidious and persuasive as you fear it is, your kids will still remember it when they get home, and you can discuss it then.

I respectfully disagree. The speech should be shown with parents. This should not be a part of their school day. I want to be the first point of discussion with my kids.....not the last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte