U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,108 times

Advertisements

Received this email from UCPS regarding the President's address:

Quote:
Address by President Obama on Sept. 8

On Tuesday, September 8, President Barack Obama will deliver a national address to students via the Web and C-SPAN to encourage students to set high academic goals and to do their best to succeed in school. The address will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http:Streaming Video) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET.

The U.S. Department of Education has posted a menu of classroom activities for students at all grade levels, created by Teaching Ambassador Fellows. These activities may help engage students and stimulate classroom discussions about the importance of education. These materials are online at U.S. Department of Education Home Page.

All UCPS teachers follow a North Carolina Standard Course of Study. If a teacher feels that the United States Presidentís National Address to Students fits the curriculum being taught in a particular grade level or course, the teacher might choose to have students view the address and might use some of the suggested classroom activities provided by the US Secretary of Educations, Arne Duncan.

Due to the timing of this public address and school lunch schedules, we will be unable to view this address school-wide.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Looks like we can all view it when we wish to on stream . . . and catch it on CSPAN.

Thanx for posting the info, MN.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Received this email from UCPS regarding the President's address:
1. The address is fine if it is not a sly attempt to sneak in a subliminal political agenda.

2. Teachers make their own lesson plans. If it has to be shown, the teacher must present it at his/her discretion.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:37 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
The whole thing is just very suspect to me. In fact, I see right through the president and have lost even more respect for him for trying to use the nations children this way.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,029,400 times
One of my student's classes will be watching but doing their own lesson plans, including analyzing the media coverage of the 'event'.

The other hasn't heard anything about what the class is doing, they may be at lunch during that time.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,739,780 times
I would be interested in knowing what "input" parents will be giving their children regarding this talk.

No need to give your party affliation.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,721,815 times
One high school here is planning on letting ALL of the students see it but did say that if any parent objected they just needed to send a note and the student would be given something else to do during that period. Sounds fair to me. Im sure there are still some folks cryin about the election and all but OBAMA is now the President and shouldnt be treated like just another politician....He won ,get over it.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,739,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
One high school here is planning on letting ALL of the students see it but did say that if any parent objected they just needed to send a note and the student would be given something else to do during that period. Sounds fair to me. Im sure there are still some folks cryin about the election and all but OBAMA is now the President and shouldnt be treated like just another politician....He won ,get over it.
Yup."not just another politican"...treat the man with some respect. Like a God. Like a leader of "One World". Like a man that knows what he's doing.
Follow him.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-04-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,899,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
NATIVEcheif? Hmmm. Ok then.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The whole thing is just very suspect to me. In fact, I see right through the president and have lost even more respect for him for trying to use the nations children this way.
Seriously, do you remember when Reagan and Bush did the same thing????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte