U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
 
40 posts, read 64,843 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

We're coming down to look at the area and some houses and just have a good time in a couple weeks. I'm really excited but a little anxious, too.

I want to get along and fit in (gosh, I sound like a teenager. LOL), but I'm not sure what is expected of me. For example, I read that dressing casual, even just to run out to Wal-Mart is a big no-no in Charlotte... I typically wear dark jeans and a solid colored T-shirt. I'm not a real fancy kind of person. LOL. Will I look like a total slob compared to Charlotte natives?

What are some other cultural expectations? I've heard people are really polite down there -and that's cool with me, because I was raised that way, too. It'll be nice to have it actually reciprocated.

BTW - I was born and raised in Maryland but we have been living in WV for 2 years. My husband is from El Salvador. Also wondering how well accepted interacial couples are there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,178 posts, read 57,278,628 times
Reputation: 38463
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez View Post
We're coming down to look at the area and some houses and just have a good time in a couple weeks. I'm really excited but a little anxious, too.

I want to get along and fit in (gosh, I sound like a teenager. LOL), but I'm not sure what is expected of me. For example, I read that dressing casual, even just to run out to Wal-Mart is a big no-no in Charlotte... I typically wear dark jeans and a solid colored T-shirt. I'm not a real fancy kind of person. LOL. Will I look like a total slob compared to Charlotte natives?

What are some other cultural expectations? I've heard people are really polite down there -and that's cool with me, because I was raised that way, too. It'll be nice to have it actually reciprocated.

BTW - I was born and raised in Maryland but we have been living in WV for 2 years. My husband is from El Salvador. Also wondering how well accepted interacial couples are there?

Thanks
LOL, WHO told you such a thing??

Honey, you can dress any way you want to to run out to WalMart Maybe in certain high end shops at Southpark Mall or Philips Place you would be looked at disapprovingly, but at WALMART??? Interracial couples are common in Charlotte. While there are small minded folks everywhere, the great majority of folks here won't give you guys a second look Hope you have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, home of the NY/NJ refugees
1,384 posts, read 217,561 times
Reputation: 275
People don't expect you to dress up to go to Wal-Mart, you were misinformed. And your relationship will be totally accepted, I feel confident in saying that. Good luck!

EDIT: lovesmountains, we must type at the same time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,178 posts, read 57,278,628 times
Reputation: 38463
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
People don't expect you to dress up to go to Wal-Mart, you were misinformed. And your relationship will be totally accepted, I feel confident in saying that. Good luck!

EDIT: lovesmountains, we must type at the same time!
hey, great minds and all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,087 posts, read 40,191,676 times
Reputation: 13307
I really wouldnt be concern about what others think just be you. dress the way you feel comfortable and whatever you heard about the walmart I find that just silly it wally world of all places.

I also think the whole concern over interracial thing is thing of the 20th century and if it was me I wouldnt let it bother me from making a decision to avoid of being a part of a new beginning. I cant think of any city in the usa that has population way over 500k that would not be diverse.
I know the city data demographics is base on 2000 census but I think the 2010 demographics will show more diverse numbers.

I hope in your visit it not all buisness but also a taste of the fun of the area, whatever you two enjoy doing locally to your location now try to find something similar to do in charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
 
40 posts, read 64,843 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOL, WHO told you such a thing??

Honey, you can dress any way you want to to run out to WalMart Maybe in certain high end shops at Southpark Mall or Philips Place you would be looked at disapprovingly, but at WALMART??? Interracial couples are common in Charlotte. While there are small minded folks everywhere, the great majority of folks here won't give you guys a second look Hope you have a great trip!

I love you. (Hugging my jeans) ROFL.

I went back and found the article that gave me that impression:
http://www.realcities.com/mld/charlotte/living/travel/visitors_guide/15510815.htm (broken link)

The actual quote from the article is: "Women tell me they get a funny look if they run to the grocery store in sweat pants. Things are more formal down here. The milk-and-bread buyer wears Prada. Or at least a respectable knock-off."

----

HA! If I had Prada anything I wouldn't be out buying my own groceries in the first place. I'd have the butler go get them or something. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,178 posts, read 57,278,628 times
Reputation: 38463
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez View Post
I love you. (Hugging my jeans) ROFL.

I went back and found the article that gave me that impression:
http://www.realcities.com/mld/charlotte/living/travel/visitors_guide/15510815.htm (broken link)

The actual quote from the article is: "Women tell me they get a funny look if they run to the grocery store in sweat pants. Things are more formal down here. The milk-and-bread buyer wears Prada. Or at least a respectable knock-off."

----

HA! If I had Prada anything I wouldn't be out buying my own groceries in the first place. I'd have the butler go get them or something. LOL

So glad to have helped!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, home of the NY/NJ refugees
1,384 posts, read 217,561 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez View Post
I love you. (Hugging my jeans) ROFL.

I went back and found the article that gave me that impression:
http://www.realcities.com/mld/charlotte/living/travel/visitors_guide/15510815.htm (broken link)

The actual quote from the article is: "Women tell me they get a funny look if they run to the grocery store in sweat pants. Things are more formal down here. The milk-and-bread buyer wears Prada. Or at least a respectable knock-off."

----

HA! If I had Prada anything I wouldn't be out buying my own groceries in the first place. I'd have the butler go get them or something. LOL
OK, I will admit that when I lived in SouthPark and shopped at Morrocroft Harris Teeter, I would not be caught DEAD in sweatpants. But that is a pretty "exclusive" area. For the most part, it is not that way in Charlotte! I think that was an embellishment to make for more entertaining reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
 
40 posts, read 64,843 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I really wouldnt be concern about what others think just be you. dress the way you feel comfortable and whatever you heard about the walmart I find that just silly it wally world of all places.

I also think the whole concern over interracial thing is thing of the 20th century and if it was me I wouldnt let it bother me from making a decision to avoid of being a part of a new beginning. I cant think of any city in the usa that has population way over 500k that would not be diverse.
I know the city data demographics is base on 2000 census but I think the 2010 demographics will show more diverse numbers.

I hope in your visit it not all buisness but also a taste of the fun of the area, whatever you two enjoy doing locally to your location now try to find something similar to do in charlotte area.
I try not to worry about what people think of me in general but the idea of walking around in a city and being stared at was nearly giving me an anxiety attack. (I guess it doesn't help that I just saw the movie "The Stepford Wives". LOL.)

As for the interracial thing, I figured it wouldn't be an issue because Charlotte is such a large city, but being that it's in the south - we just "hear" things up here, and there's no way of knowing what is true - or what is a story from the 1950's or what. LOL. ... My husband and I have been pretty lucky in this department. Sometimes people look a little longer in some areas, but that's about it.

The trip is definitly not all business if I have my way! This will be our "vacation" this year so I have to fit some fun in. We probably won't have time for everything but the 3 things on my list are Discovery Place, Lazy 5 Ranch and Reed Gold Mine. (We have 2 sons, ages 8 and 5).

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
 
40 posts, read 64,843 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
OK, I will admit that when I lived in SouthPark and shopped at Morrocroft Harris Teeter, I would not be caught DEAD in sweatpants. But that is a pretty "exclusive" area. For the most part, it is not that way in Charlotte! I think that was an embellishment to make for more entertaining reading.
LOL - O.K. I only shopped in Harris Teeter twice and that was on a vacation in the Outer Banks. We just started getting them up here and they're a little expensive (though very nice), so I would understand not going out in pajamas there. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top