U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 PM

62 posts, read 215,139 times

Advertisements

I know in the popular areas and uptown it will be impossible or really expensive, so outside of those places, is it possible to get large plots of land for residential?

I am looking for more than 5 acres preferably 10 acres. Where are plots like this available and roughly how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,717,059 times
They will likely be the far exception than the norm, at least at the amount you're wanting (5-10 acres). I know there are some remaining patches of ruralness on the fringes of NE Charlotte (within Mecklenburg County). The thing is, where ever you find it within the convenience of being called "Charlotte", the land value will be very high due to the fact that owners know what they have: developable land within "Charlotte."

If you back your search down to 1-3 acres, you'll find many more options. Or in our case, we have a 1/2 acre that backs up to a stream and an HOA common ground on the other side of the stream...so we'll forever have what looks like a very large wooded backyard.

But I understand the draw to a large plot of land. I will hopefully get my hands on something in the 10 acre range, if for nothing more than to say I own this square of planet earth! However, mine will be in the mountains, or the foothills at least! (here's to hoping!)

EDIT: I carried away with my own little land fantasy that I really didn't give much solid ideas for you:

If you're willing to drive to the surrounding counties, you're guaranteed to find lots int eh range you're thinking...Gaston, Union, York (SC), Iredell, and even Cabarrus. Those are all within a 30 minute drive to Uptown, for the most part. Traffic could be a factor during peak commute times. But it's the price you pay for living out rural. But don't forget about CATS Express buses. ALl the counties I mentioned are served by Express Buses that take you straight into Uptown...good if you work there and want to live far away.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,914,083 times
How far from the center of city would you be comfortable with, Ryan?

There would be acreage in outlying areas such as Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell . . . but is that too far out for you?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,911,067 times
One of the biggest issues with stand alone lots in Mecklenburg where there is no connection to CMUD is will it pass a peculation test which is commonly known as a perc test. Because of the clay here, I have heard that a lot of land around Charlotte won't perc which makes it useless for building unless you can get a connection to a municipal sewer system. i.e. septic systems won't work on this kind of land.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM

^ You are correct Lumbollo...and this is also good info to give to people who may not be familiar with our area. As a former FL quasi-native, it was unbelievable to me that the clay here prevented the installation of a septic system as this is unheard of in FL...and I'd imagine, a great deal of other places. The problem is that clay has a very slow perculation rate (on the order of inches per day) where sand or other soil has a relatively high perculation rate (on the order of feet per day). So the clay doesn't let the water drain out of the septic tank.

It's sort of like Charlotte's way of selling "swamp property" that is joked about in FL...you know, where someone gets a killer deal on a plot of land, only to find out that 80% of it is unbuildable because of wetlands. Be wary of cheap land near to town around here. If you plan on using it for anything other than picnics (or other uses that won't need a bathroom), it will need to have good perculating soil--a standard test that can be done by many technicians in the area.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:07 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,914,083 times
Great info, Lumbollo!

When looking at land, ask the realtor if the listing says "will perc" . . . otherwise, as Metallisteve said - you should hire someone to do a test (or see if the seller will pay for it).

Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,783,127 times
I live in Mineral Springs, North Carolina. Our town was formed to keep down growth and we are zoned for larger lots. I will add the Union County website and the Mineral Springs website in a few minutes. Zip codes in this area are 28108 and 28173 and 28112. You may want to check on 28110 also. That is Northern Union County and they have many farms. Be sure to check with the zoning before you buy. Many towns in Union County were formed so the town can control the area. We are very rural but modern and friendly. We just don't like living too close to our neighbors.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/--Click on Government and then municipalities and you can see other towns in Union County too.
http://www.mineralspringsnc.com/--Besides this you can go to MSN Maps and put in Potter Road and Highway 75 and click on Birds eye view and see our entire area on your computer.

Last edited by NCN; 09-06-2009 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM

Don't ever, ever trust someone on their word of whether or not a lot will perc...ESPECIALLY a realtor trying to sell the lot! It's not a voodoo science that someone can shoot from the hip and determine. It's a yes or no answer that is 100% verified and backed up by a simple test.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,783,127 times
Perking can be a problem in this area, but if you have lots of land, just build a longer line. We have 400 feet going off from our septic and it still can get a little sluggish in January. We have been here more than 30 years and had the septic emptied only once. Yucky job, but professionals do it. When we bought the house the builder told me to drop a packet of yeast in the comode once a month. I used to do that. I probably should start again.

BTW do the perk test yourself. I have heard stories of people helping the water leave during the night. I haven't seen it myself, but a neighbor told us about it.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 PM

264 posts, read 764,106 times
My parents and I own 10 acres here in Charlotte off of HWY 16 North. I love it and if it wasn't so far from the school we have our kids in, we would have moved there. That area of Charlotte is underrated I think, but then again I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or