Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,501,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's not what I said. Go back and re-read.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sounds like people are paying tribute to their home states with their NY/NJ/TX/OH/etc. front plates, which strikes me as a little rude. If you're that attached to home, move back; otherwise, embrace your new home.
What exactly am I supposed to get from this statement?

1; It is "rude" to pay homage to any other state besides NC, or wherever you are currently residing, for whatever reason.

2: If you are that attached to your old home, Go back. Who cares if you were transferred here and really had no choice in the matter.

3: Expired tags are "paying tribute to their home states".

All three are ridiculous, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

146 posts, read 472,222 times
believe it or not, when i went to get my NC dl, i had to pay fines to two states for not turning in my previous states plates. that wont happen again.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,307,000 times
I think the wife and I had to mail our plates back to Maryland. I think the wife sent the certified to make sure they were received.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM

716 posts, read 1,537,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
believe it or not, when i went to get my NC dl, i had to pay fines to two states for not turning in my previous states plates. that wont happen again.

Whoa seriously? One would think you would just discard of your old plates once you get new plates.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,441,417 times
All of the people that leave their former states' license plates on the front of their vehicles might be in for a rude awakening should they visit that state. Many states that require a front and rear plate will be only too happy to issue you a ticket for not complying with their state motor vehicle laws. You'd be better off with either no plate or an innocuous sports team plate rather than keeping that old state plate on the front. It might save you a long explanation while a police car has you pulled off on the side of the road!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,499,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
Interesting. When I got my plates and DL here I just put my old VA plates somewhere in storage. I have no idea where they are now. Same with my CA plates when I moved to VA. Never heard another word about them.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM

146 posts, read 472,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Whoa seriously? One would think you would just discard of your old plates once you get new plates.
Its true. I was very surprised. After I paid the fee (fine) I was good to go. $100 each state. Its called the National Driver Registry and that is how they tracked me down.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 58,745 times
A lot of things are illegal here but not enforced. If you have a NC or SC tag on the back, you better remove the NY tag on the front. You could get a ticket here, but if you drive that car back to NY ( or other states) you could cause yourself a big fine or worse.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,950,343 times
Drover, how come you're lurking on a Charlotte, NC site? (I know you from the Chicago thread)

Anyway, since we are such a transient city, most people here are from somewhere else. So, it is no big deal to have their old plate on the front of the car. Makes for a possible conversation starter...

Same way I fly my Cubs flag outside of my house everyday during the season...

(I'd have my IL tag on the front of my car if I still had it...)

Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,797,111 times
We were able to keep our original plates to our classic cars, so we have the CA plates on the rear and have the NC plates in the car. That is one exception to the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte