U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM

51 posts, read 153,045 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have now lived in Charlotte for over two years. We have been renting in Southpark and have finally found "THE HOUSE". But our only concern is what we've been reading about the elementary school for this house, Huntingtown Farms Elementary.

We do not have children but do plan on beginning our family in the next 2-3 years. Can anyone shed any light on this school and why it gets such negative commentary? Should we abandon our dream house in order to find a better school?

Thanks everyone for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwomg View Post
My fiance and I have now lived in Charlotte for over two years. We have been renting in Southpark and have finally found "THE HOUSE". But our only concern is what we've been reading about the elementary school for this house, Huntingtown Farms Elementary.

We do not have children but do plan on beginning our family in the next 2-3 years. Can anyone shed any light on this school and why it gets such negative commentary? Should we abandon our dream house in order to find a better school?

Thanks everyone for your input!!
I would not abandon your dream home over this! First of all, you don't even have kids yet and if by the time you do this school isn't appealing to you you can always send them to a magnet program, a charter school or a private school.

In addition, Huntingtown Farms is not a bad school. It's not the best in Charlotte, but it is far from the worst. Congrats on finding THE house

Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,667,547 times
Do not walk away from your house based on the current school zone. I would be shocked if it stays the same over the next 2 -3 years. Congrats on buying a home!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
At the earliest, you won't be sending anyone to that school for 5-6 years. That's plenty of time for a school to go from "good" to "bad" or vise-versa. Additionally, as long as the school is not surrounded by the ghetto, simply being an active parent not only in your kid's life (that should be a given, but you never know nowadays) but also the school will automatically make your kid's experience far better than a kid with the opposite involvement. I firmly stand by the notion that this is the biggest problem with CMS...parents using the school as a daycare and a child-rearing facility to do the parent's work.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
You have gotten excellent advice. I agree with the other posters - don't give this up based on a school district! Who knows what will happen in 5+ years!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,162,963 times
I live in HF. The school is pretty good and nothing majorly wrong that would make me not move there because of it. Just curious, what house are you looking at? You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

51 posts, read 153,045 times
Thanks everyone so much! I guess I was being a little overly dramatic on me abandoning my dream house because of the school but I had to ask! The neighborhood is so good so I was confused at why I was hearing such negative comments. Huntingtowne is a magnet school so maybe it's those who are opposed, that's a whole different subject for a different thread

We are very excited as this decision will keep us in Charlotte!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
Always remember...
The folks who are content aren't nearly as worried about getting their message out as those that have had an unfavorable experience. This goes for products, services, and even schools. I'm not saying that bad reviews aren't warranted sometimes, but there will always be an overwhelming number of bad reviews vs. good reviews for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or