U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,068,105 times

Advertisements

Jet Blue and Airtran are really cheap. Sometimes tickets to NYC are $79 each way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,401,870 times
Amtrak is more like 12-13 hours, definitely not 18. Bus is probably a little longer, but it looks like this one doesn't make too many stops and goes through the night. By the time you get to the airport, through security and back from the airport, I think it comes out in the wash.

I wish we could get MegaBus or Bolt Bus down here.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,892,796 times
One thing to note. There is also an Amtrak Train that runs to NY that has a stop in Charlotte in the middle of the night. It does not stop as the NCDOT stations but it is also more expensive for the trip. I would recommend the NCDOT train, The Carolinian, at the link I posted above.

BTW, if you are just traveling within NC, you can come back on The Piedmont. It is the companion service that starts in Raleigh and terminates in Charlotte that provides mirror service within NC. They are going to add an additional mid-day state only train later this fall.

They also run special trains during special events in the state. For example there is a train to the Lexington BBQ festival and another one to the NC State Fair. Train stops right in these events making it very convenient.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,091,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I might be wrong, but the additional fees that say USAir adds might but another $100 on this ticket and heaven help you if you need to change your itinerary. No doubt that flying is faster, but I have found that when you include the travel time to Charlotte-Douglass airport, getting through security, and the reverse at Laguardia or Newark, you have spent longer than 1/2 day.
Its not that bad (trust me, I fly just about every week). However, as far as flying to the NYC area goes, US Scare does have some cheap fares to Newark right now - I just booked a flight up there for next week and it was $59 each way - with the fees and taxes it was about $140 round trip. Then you could just hop a quick train into NYC from there.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,091,083 times
[quote=lumbollo;10685536]One thing to note. There is also an Amtrak Train that runs to NY that has a stop in Charlotte in the middle of the night. It does not stop as the NCDOT stations but it is also more expensive for the trip. I would recommend the NCDOT train, The Carolinian, at the link I posted above.

BTW, if you are just traveling within NC, you can come back on The Piedmont. It is the companion service that starts in Raleigh and terminates in Charlotte that provides mirror service within NC. They are going to add an additional mid-day state only train later this fall.
[quote]

What is the travel time between Charlotte and Raleigh on those trains? I will likely need to go to Raleigh every couple of months for work, and that drive gets boring.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM

1,671 posts, read 4,134,998 times
Thanks to all responses. My friend rather take the bus than fly. Although flying saves time, she will avoid the high cost of taking a taxi to/from airport. The bus allows her to board on Saturday night and return back to Charlotte on Sunday morning. The bus stops at Canal street, where she would start shopping before taking a train ride into midtown. She wants to do some major shopping in NYC, all in one day. I can't phantom ever doing it, but it works for her.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM

35,458 posts, read 43,120,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Thanks to all responses. My friend rather take the bus than fly. Although flying saves time, she will avoid the high cost of taking a taxi to/from airport. The bus allows her to board on Saturday night and return back to Charlotte on Sunday morning. The bus stops at Canal street, where she would start shopping before taking a train ride into midtown. She wants to do some major shopping in NYC, all in one day. I can't phantom ever doing it, but it works for her.
I can see it! You board the bus, sleep, then get into NYC . . . do your shopping - and you have bags with you - so you just carry them back rather than having to check luggage w/ an airline (which they are charging for now). . . no big bucks for the taxi . . . get back on the bus, ride overnite . . . I suspect your friend is like me: she knows what she wants to shop for, she knows where to shop . . . she is gonna hit the stores - get in and get out! I have certainly driven to ATL and done the same thing!

If she wanted to, she could take some of those fold up canvas shopping bags and dump other bags down in them . . . easier to lug back home that way than a lot of other packages/bags.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,904,224 times
Oh Southwest Airlines...where art thou?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,892,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Oh Southwest Airlines...where art thou?
They probably are not coming here as long as the city maintains the fortress for USAir.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,904,224 times
Once that third runway opens up, I think there'll be room to expand ops. I know they've got their eye on us...just waiting for the right time to strike at US Fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte