U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM

69 posts, read 191,902 times

Advertisements

Go to asheville for a southern accent for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,401,392 times
scroll down a litte on the link IDEA - Dialects of North Carolina
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,627,729 times
my gf is a charlotte native and has a THICK southern accent complete with an incredible southern vocabulary.

off the top of my head, 5 words that she says that need to go:

PO-lice
stank
huh (instead of her)
daowg (dog)
faowll (fall)

*bonus*
sustah (instead of sister)

also, IMHO, only ppl from charlotte/from the south seem to say that ppl in charlotte don't have southern accents. anyone from any other region of the country can tell a southern accent from a mile away. certain words are longer and/or certain letters are put into certain words that easily give a person away.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,699,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
my gf is a charlotte native and has a THICK southern accent complete with an incredible southern vocabulary.

off the top of my head, 5 words that she says that need to go:

PO-lice
stank
huh (instead of her)
daowg (dog)
faowll (fall)

*bonus*
sustah (instead of sister)

also, IMHO, only ppl from charlotte/from the south seem to say that ppl in charlotte don't have southern accents. anyone from any other region of the country can tell a southern accent from a mile away. certain words are longer and/or certain letters are put into certain words that easily give a person away.
All native Charlotteans I know have southern accents and the last thing on earth they would want to do would be to change it. All of my native friends with the exception of a couple, speak articulately and don't sound like hillbillies. Some southerners speak in a manner that may not sound pleasant or intelligent, but that is the same in any New York City or many other places. Rural people are rural people. They speak like their grandparents and grandparents spoke for decades in the areas where they were raised. The funny thing is that in the south, people tend to speak clearer English in the cities, whereas people in the north tend to speak less clear in the cities. For example, New York has the often hard to understand Brooklyn or Bronx accent and Boston has its areas where speakers really need help. When people accept the history behind the way people pronounce words, the more accepting we will be.

I had a discussion with my very good friend from New York recently about accents as we both agreed that Americans abuse the language horribly everywhere in the U.S. He said, "Yea, but it sounds worse when a southerner does it". That could be true.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 AM
eek

honestly, i don't see how a person from one borough sounds different than a person from another borough. IMHO, there is no proof that there is a "brooklyn accent" or "bronx accent." we don't live far enough apart for that to happen. a person from queens and a person from brooklyn will sound the same. we are on the same island and the island isn't that big. also add to this that none of us are isolated from one another because of our train system...if anything, ppl in staten is have a stronger accent because they're more isolated (you have to take a ferry to get there).

if anybody from ny sounds different, it'd be ppl from manhattan because of the makeup of manhattan (a lot of ppl living there aren't from ny at all). ppl from manhattan IMO have more of a non regional accent.

i also think that the majority of nyers speak in clear and better english than most southerners (to be completely honest. again, this is just my opinion). i think that if you take my family and you take my gf's family, for example, and has all of us speak in a conversation and record it, the nation would understand what my family said better than they would my gf's family.

a lot of southerners tend to make up words that don't exist...i don't know if its slang...things such as:

fin to, which was already a made up term...its not being pronounced as "finna." example:

"i finna go to the sto' and git me some thangs that i'ma need fo' tonight."
"yuup, its bout to be the fo'th of JU-lie."
"then i gotta go caowll my sustah and go git huh money befo' she go to the cluuhb."
"well, i caowlled huh earlie-uh and she was like she won't there, but she'll be there later aown in the evenin'."
"oh, bless her heart..."

with that said, broken english is spoken nationwide and we're all pretty much guilty of destroying the english language.

yaknowwhati'msayin, son? na'mean?

to be fair, the north:

ey yo...whea you been, son? i been out hea fa like 30 min.
sorry. i was ova my bm's house, chillin with my daughtah
not fa nothin' but that broad be messin around with everyone...
man, i ain't tryna hea that...i'm only ova thea fa my daughtah, you know...?
yeah, ok...anyway, you got me standing on the cawna looking like i wanna get robbed, son. ____'s is out hea looking mad grimy. i heard a ____ just got robbed the otha day on ya block and you gon' have me standing out hea fa 30 min.

lol, now that i look at it, i think we're more vulgar...or rather straight and to the point.

Last edited by eek; 09-15-2009 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,072,698 times
Age and class are important. Transplants are typically wealthier than average, so poorer people are more likely to have a stronger accent. I have observed that older people have much stronger accents than younger people.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Age and class are important. Transplants are typically wealthier than average, so poorer people are more likely to have a stronger accent. I have observed that older people have much stronger accents than younger people.
this is very true and applies to every and any region in our country, IMO.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly, i don't see how a person from one borough sounds different than a person from another borough. IMHO, there is no proof that there is a "brooklyn accent" or "bronx accent." we don't live far enough apart for that to happen. a person from queens and a person from brooklyn will sound the same. we are on the same island and the island isn't that big. also add to this that none of us are isolated from one another because of our train system...if anything, ppl in staten is have a stronger accent because they're more isolated (you have to take a ferry to get there).

if anybody from ny sounds different, it'd be ppl from manhattan because of the makeup of manhattan (a lot of ppl living there aren't from ny at all). ppl from manhattan IMO have more of a non regional accent.

i also think that the majority of nyers speak in clear and better english than most southerners (to be completely honest. again, this is just my opinion). i think that if you take my family and you take my gf's family, for example, and has all of us speak in a conversation and record it, the nation would understand what my family said better than they would my gf's family.

a lot of southerners tend to make up words that don't exist...i don't know if its slang...things such as:

fin to, which was already a made up term...its not being pronounced as "finna." example:

"i finna go to the sto' and git me some thangs that i'ma need fo' tonight."
"yuup, its bout to be the fo'th of JU-lie."
"then i gotta go caowll my sustah and go git huh money befo' she go to the cluuhb."
"well, i caowlled huh earlie-uh and she was like she won't there, but she'll be there later aown in the evenin'."
"oh, bless her heart..."

with that said, broken english is spoken nationwide and we're all pretty much guilty of destroying the english language.

yaknowwhati'msayin, son? na'mean?

to be fair, the north:

ey yo...whea you been, son? i been out hea fa like 30 min.
sorry. i was ova my bm's house, chillin with my daughtah
not fa nothin' but that broad be messin around with everyone...
man, i ain't tryna hea that...i'm only ova thea fa my daughtah, you know...?
yeah, ok...anyway, you got me standing on the cawna looking like i wanna get robbed, son. ____'s is out hea looking mad grimy. i heard a ____ just got robbed the otha day on ya block and you gon' have me standing out hea fa 30 min.

lol, now that i look at it, i think we're more vulgar...or rather straight and to the point.
If you think that your girlfriend and her family are so ignorant, why do you stay with her? If you think that southerners speak so poorly, why do you stay here? And, it isn't that so many northeasterners are "straight and to the point", many weren't taught tact, politeness, and to think before speaking as most of us were. It is a funny thing that eventhough you make fun of the way some speak in the south, New York schools have far lower achievement test scores than North Carolina. I am glad that everyone in the south doesn't think that all northerners are insulting, loud mouthed individuals that keep trashy lawns and are too ignorant to speak a sentence without use of a foul word. It just isn't proper for people to stereotype like that. People are all different. What applies to one doesn't apply to all. I think you would have a fun time criticizing Scots, Irish, and Northern English if you ever visited there. They talk "weird" too. Most of the way "hillbillies" speak in the south is a result of their immigration two hundred years ago.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-15-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
OMG, so we are getting the wealthier, more educated ones?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
If you think that your girlfriend and her family are so ignorant, why do you stay with her? If you think that southerners speak so poorly, why do you stay here? And, it isn't that so many northeasterners are "straight and to the point", many weren't taught tact, politeness, and to think before speaking as most of us were. It is a funny thing that eventhough you make fun of the way some speak in the south, New York schools have far lower achievement test scores than North Carolina. I am glad that everyone in the south doesn't think that all northerners are insulting, loud mouthed individuals that keep trashy lawns and are too ignorant to speak a sentence without use of a foul word. It just isn't proper for people to stereotype like that. People are all different. What applies to one doesn't apply to all. I think you would have a fun time criticizing Scots, Irish, and Northern English if you ever visited there. They talk "weird" too. Most of the way "hillbillies" speak in the south is a result of their immigration two hundred years ago.
lol @ this. i'm just going to let you think what you want to think. obviously you took what i said and added stuff to it to form your own thoughts and the above post.

Moderator cut: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or