Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:35 PM

92 posts, read 223,258 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Mooresville in 2009, and am interested in Cherry Grove, Pecan Hills, and Wellesley. I'd really like 1/3-1/2 acre lot, but don't know if these have that size. I am also leery of Ryan and St. Lawrence builders, as there has been so much negativity about them on various websites. What info on all of these does anyone have??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 39,373 times
Default Lots are OK....

We have also looked into these 2 builders and subdivisions. We have made several visits to Wellesley and looked over the lot maps.....You can get a lot anywhere from .30 to .87 acre . HOWEVER.....not all of the property has been released from the developer for building. Apparently its done little by little. So when you sign a contract will dictate what lots are available at that time.
I have not previously built a home with either Ryan or St. Lawrence so I am in the same boat as you are with looking into their reputations. If I get any new info I will be sure to pass it on!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 17,060 times
Default Cherry Grove

I live in Cherry Grove and absolutely love the neighborhood. Wellesley is great too, however, I heard that St Lawrence wants to pull out and also know that Ryan recently had a bunch of layoffs including the head GC in that development. This can all lend to that neighborhood not being completed for quite a few years. Rumor is too that Ryan may pull out of that neighborhood as well. Then you will have to wait for new builders to come in and complete the neighborhood.

Pecan Hills, the school district is Iredell County, not Mooresville Graded, so if you have high school age students they will go to South Iredell High School, many miles away.

I live in a Ryan home and built it 3 years ago, I had a few problems, but they were rectified by Ryan. I have no complaints. I do hear more complaints from the home owners of the St Lawrence homes and that they take forever to take care of problems.

Building a house now is risky since so many home builders are struggling, be sure who you choose to build your home will be around to make repairs.

Good Luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 AM

DMSADA:Thanks for your info. I am really interested in Cherry Grove, I think. What's the neighborhood like? An active HOA? How many homes are there? It seems as if there are about 30 for sale there.
Thanks.
Bastetcat

Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 39,373 times
Default Ryan is Out

We were looking into the "Brookmere" model in Wellesley. Ryan pulled out of the sub division last tuesday. They told me that they could not get the developer to sell them the plots at a reduced price so they could not compete.....The developer happens to be St. Lawrence. They own all the land in Wellesley, so we will see what happens. I will not build in there for fear the project will NEVER be finished

We are also interested in Cherry Grove. Would love any info about the neighborhood as well. We were a little concerned about all the homes for sale in there and the property sizes.....Any idea whay so many people are moving out of this community already??

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 59,750 times
We actually live in Wellesley, in a St. Lawrence home. We love the home, we kept ontop of them during the building, and anything that we had a problem with was corrected by them to our satisfaction, all minor things.

I was trying to find out what the story was with Ryan pulling out, that's why I was looking on here, but if you want to know anything, just ask me.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 PM

37 posts, read 127,717 times
Default Farmstead Estates

Farmstead Estates is a great neighborhood with no HOA fees. We just put our house on the market. We love the area but I grew up on a farm in Indiana on 100 acres and we currently only about 1 acre...I need more room. We love the neighborhood though.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Mooresville Graded Schools are suppose to be better if schools are a concern!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 17,060 times
Default Cherry Grove

Thanks for your info. I am really interested in Cherry Grove, I think. What's the neighborhood like? An active HOA? How many homes are there? It seems as if there are about 30 for sale there.
Thanks.
Bastetcat[/quote]

Cherry Grove has 28 houses for sale. There are many different reasons, some have lost there jobs, some have a 5/1 arm and cannot refinance (which is sad), others moving from the area for jobs.

Cherry Grove initially had growing pains with its HOA, but I am happy to say, we have come a long way and finally have a great community.

We recently had a community function at the pool for its opening and we had over 100 people at the pool opening. 125 Hamburgers and too many hot dogs to count, were cooked and enjoyed by all.

We have a new tradition this summer and many families are going to alternate weekends and have BBQ's at there homes. I am from the north so a BBQ is a verb, not a noun! We are planning the calendar now, we had our first one on Monday (Memorial Day) and everyone had a great time.

Several of the woman are going to the Martini bar this evening followed by going to see Sex in the City. It is a great community, we do have our handful of homeowners, like any other neighborhood, that like to cause trouble, but even they have quieted down. We learned to ignore them and not feed into them and this seems to have succeed.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info. How many homes are in Cherry Grove? Is it totally family-oriented, or is there hope for a retired single librarian??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte