Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

hi --

we are planning a trip to charlotte in two months. We live in long island now (north shore) and are looking to see some areas by the water -- lake norman, mooresville - we looked online and reallly liked the houses with the slips -- very similiar to the setup we have had in long island.

We have 2 children --incoming 9th and 2nd grade -- so schools are very important. Is it a traditional calendar in charlotte or year round? If you buy - are you guaranteed to go to that school? What schools would be good in these areas? -- Lake norman elementary, mooresville middle -- lake norman high -- these seemed to have good ratings on greatschools.net -- just wanted ideas from the forum == this is our main focus on house selection

I work in banking now, (brokerage - series 7 lic)but looking to maybe make a change and go back to school -- how are jobs in the mooresville/lake norman areas --(I know the economy is bad)

What should we see in your opinion to make the most of our stay --
all thoughts are appreciated
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Jobs are in Charlotte - if you can find one

Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
There are tons of information to read here... do a search on "Mooresville" - "Lake Norman" - "Long Island" - "Jobs" in this forum.

One thing that's ultra important... Unless you have a job set-up, I would strongly caution against even thinking about a relocation with kids until you have one locked down.

"Lake Norman" covers a large area with many options for housing with boating rights... Since you're from LI I don't need to remind you how important 1-2 blocks makes when that puts you into a different school district with the same zip code.

I would suggest that you start looking in the Mooresville / Iredell schools areas first... get hooked up with a solid dependable Realtor when you're there - I'm a realtor hater, but even I have to admit that the right one will be invaluable to your search. If they even HINT at a possible increase or indicate the slightest pressure on needing to make a move soon - walk away from them. Seriously... you have the power and if they're going to bold face lie you're better off without them. It's probably smart to set-up a meeting with a few and decide which one you trust the most.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:54 PM

thanks guys for your help --

I truly appreciate it -- I think I might have found one -- actually came from NY a few years ago -- long islander also -- that makes a difference when they know where we come from -- I was thinking the exact same schools -- iredell and mooresville --- seems like a lot of new elementary schools coming up too --as far as jobs go -- believe me -- I lived through a year ago in finance -- I watched everyone around me get let go -- after Lehman, I thought the world would be over. My husband would stay in NY till he found a job there -- we are probably talking about late 2010 for the move, mid - summer to early fall at the earliest and he won't leave till 2011 probably -- It would be difficult I know, but health care coverage is very important as well as a salary.
I think finance is starting to open up slowly -- as long as we don't have another huge dip and I'm not convinced that we're done just yet -- then, jobs will start to come. Usually the financial field is the first to see the bad, and then the first to see the good. I saw this starting in late 07.
I am not looking at taking anyone's job away. This is not what this is about.
We would be very cautious before we through both feet in -- and don't worry I won't feel pressured regarding buying-- I know the foreclosures will keep the market lower for a while. Although in the spring it might pick up.
thanks again --

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Our son has just started as a Freshman at LNHS-we are relocating from UK.
I know it's early days but he is loving it so far-says everyone is friendly and chatty.
He isn't an academic high flyer and math is one of his weaker subjects, but he seems to have discovered a new enthusiasm for it ,despite the fact that he is covering areas that he isn't very familiar with and getting homework each night during the week.
He has been to a couple of high school football matches and said the atmosphere was very good.
So,so far, a very positive experience.

I know that school zoning is never set in stone, but they are talking about poss rezoning in Iredell which might mean that those that live further North up Perth road towards Troutman may be sent to South Iredell highschool rather than Lake Norman HS.

Last edited by susan42; 09-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

thanks for the info --

I am also looking at elementary schools as my youngest is 6 and will be going into 2nd grade --

any schools that seem good -- I was looking at woodland heights, lakeshore

I was also thinking of visiting the schools to see how they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte