U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
 
11 posts, read 13,224 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wanting to relocate to Charlotte, NC in Dec 2009. I have never been to Charlotte, or NC in general. I have no family/friends there. I live in St. Louis, MO right now. I am finishing my MS in Criminal Justice, and would like to move right after. I have a 7 year old son, and I am a single mother.

I have been doing a lot of research on Charlotte, and I have a few friends and co-workers here that give me suggestions. I have heard that North Charlotte is nice, and newer, but South Charlotte is nice, but pretty expensive. I was told to stay away from West and East Charlotte. I am so confused! I am currently looking for employment there, which has not been sucessful as of yet in the Criminal Justice field....but I am wanting to know so much more information then what the Chamber of Commerce , and Apartment Guide books give.

So... if anyone out there can help me with any good areas or apts in specific to live(not too expensive, but not too cheap), any places hiring for people with CRJ/human services backgrounds, and good schools for my son! Thank you all ahead of time!

I am checking the surrounding communities also. Ie: Concord, Pineville... what would you suggest?

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte, NC in Dec 2009. I have never been to Charlotte, so I wanted to know about the winters there. I am from St. Louis, and it gets COLD here, so I wanted to just see what I am looking forward to.

what are the winters like in Charlotte?


Thanks!

Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte Metro. I do not live there currently but am thinking of moving in Dec of this year. Does anyone know much about Huntersville? ie: traffic from there to Uptown in the mornings/evenings M-F...schools (elementary)...apartments.

If anyone has any helpful info, that would be great!! Thanks!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-12-2009 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: cross posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8929
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbell82 View Post
Hello,

I am wanting to relocate to Charlotte, NC in Dec 2009. I have never been to Charlotte, or NC in general. I have no family/friends there. I live in St. Louis, MO right now. I am finishing my MS in Criminal Justice, and would like to move right after. I have a 7 year old son, and I am a single mother.

I have been doing a lot of research on Charlotte, and I have a few friends and co-workers here that give me suggestions. I have heard that North Charlotte is nice, and newer, but South Charlotte is nice, but pretty expensive. I was told to stay away from West and East Charlotte. I am so confused! I am currently looking for employment there, which has not been sucessful as of yet in the Criminal Justice field....but I am wanting to know so much more information then what the Chamber of Commerce , and Apartment Guide books give.

So... if anyone out there can help me with any good areas or apts in specific to live(not too expensive, but not too cheap), any places hiring for people with CRJ/human services backgrounds, and good schools for my son! Thank you all ahead of time!
Are you also checking the surrounding communities, or are you only interested in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
624 posts, read 1,888,670 times
Reputation: 563
Considering there are 4 threads out now, I'll give consolidating a shot:

These two threads are sort of quick reference guides to a number of other threads that touch on apartment complexes, schools, commute times, weather, etc:

Index of Charlotte - Links to Key Relocation Topics & Cities/Communities! & Events
Newcomer Guide to Charlotte Area for Useful Information & Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbell82 View Post
Thinking about an apt at:

Somerstone @ Winding Trails, 7139 Winding Cedar Trail 28212...
Elementary school, I think, would be Albermarie Elem. I am not from Charlotte, and have not moved down yet. Have a 2nd grader...and will be working uptown.

Does anyone know anything about any of these: apt, school, area, commute to work...
yes/no?
Somerstone at Winding Trails Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Charlotte apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Somerstone at Winding Trails Apartments - Apartments in Charlotte, NC - there website confirms elementary school will be Albemarle Road Elementary School • 7800 Riding Trail Rd, Charlotte, NC • PH: (980) 343-6414

2007-08 NC Report Card - http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/sr...0&pSchCode=300
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbell82 View Post
Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Charlotte Metro. I do not live there currently but am thinking of moving in Dec of this year. Does anyone know much about Huntersville? ie: traffic from there to Uptown in the mornings/evenings M-F...schools (elementary)...apartments.

If anyone has any helpful info, that would be great!! Thanks!!
I lived in Huntersville for a year but don't have any specific knowledge about the schools. I liked the area because it offered a good deal of shopping (primarily around Exit 18 and 25 off of I-77) and plenty of options for restaurants. I lived at the Colonial Grand Apt for a year which is a newer complex and was nice, there are a number of threads recommended complexes around Huntersville:
Huntersville ... to rent
Camden Sedgebrook apartments in Huntersville
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbell82 View Post
...any places hiring for people with CRJ/human services backgrounds...
No specific suggestion but Ani recently posted this thread: Job Fair - 9/29/09

*and just the normal disclaimer that most on the board will recommend if you're moving to this area with no family or friends in the area that it's best to have a job secured prior to making the move, but know that people on the board will help where they can.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 09-12-2009 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: it's nearly 3 AM, the need for editing is just assumed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 AM
 
1,644 posts, read 4,097,874 times
Reputation: 443
As regards schools then I would check out
Cabarrus County Schools Overview | GreatSchools
You can then look at elemen/middle/high schools individually

Greatschools.net Search: iredell

CMS - Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Overview | GreatSchools

Union County Public Schools Overview | GreatSchools

Hope this, combined with the NCreportcards site, helps with the schools.
Sorry can't help with appt rentals, but this website is a good one to look at
Find A Home

Unless you specifically wanted a condo/appt think you may have more luck/get more for your money with a house as not that many appts in some of the counties above and the ones I saw in good school districts seem to demand a higher rental per sq ft compared to houses.

Really need to try and narrow it down to a school district, although boundaries can change unfortunately, and then take into account commute time once you know where you are going to be working.I know it's not always that simple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 AM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,697,599 times
Reputation: 2564
Default A word about "school districts"

I know zero about how to choose a community for its' schools but I have read with interest on this site the problem of not being guaranteeded a school b/c you moved into that community.

With a 7 y.o. child I would say schools would be on the top of your list and in that regard I would look at the many posts made on CD (using the "search" feature) and listen to the advise of those that have experience in this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
 
43 posts, read 101,120 times
Reputation: 17
Have you considered Union County? There are some great schools in the area and it is convenient to Charlotte. Mecklenburg Co. is known for bad schools and crime. As the previous poster mentioned, check out Great schools. However, with a MS in Criminal Justice your job prospects are probably greater in Mecklenburg Co, considering the high level of crime. Also, drive around the area in rush hour and check your commute times. Traffic in Charlotte can get pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagal1995 View Post
Have you considered Union County? There are some great schools in the area and it is convenient to Charlotte. Mecklenburg Co. is known for bad schools and crime. As the previous poster mentioned, check out Great schools. However, with a MS in Criminal Justice your job prospects are probably greater in Mecklenburg Co, considering the high level of crime. Also, drive around the area in rush hour and check your commute times. Traffic in Charlotte can get pretty bad.
Oh please

Charlotte does have some problem schools. It also has some of the best public schools in the state. You have to do your homework, but there are great schools here so please don't paint with such a broad brushstroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
 
332 posts, read 1,309,948 times
Reputation: 361
Concord is home to a juvenile justice facility that seems to be forever hiring. Google "nc dhhs jobs" and look it up under county selections to see if any are currently available.

Good luck with the move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 AM
 
2,912 posts, read 3,308,523 times
Reputation: 3136
Not to turn this into a school thread, but I have heard that the Selwyn, AG, Myers Park zone is still a great option. Does anyone have experience with these schools? What are the negatives to MP High School Vs, lets say, the private Catholic High?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 5,087,612 times
Reputation: 871
I've only been through one winter here (moved from Chicago), and I found it to be VERY mild. From talking to locals, or people who've lived here longer, I guess we actually got more snow than typical (probably 3 very minor snow falls/flurries that melted within a few hours to a few days).

A few months of wearing light jacket/fleece, maybe 10 days total of wearing a lightweight down jacket. A lot of people here that aren't from someplace really cold seem to get more bundled up, but I found it to be very mild and only a couple weeks (if that) of true cold weather. Coming from St. Louis I'd think you'd be really happy with the weather.

On a side note, it seems a little weird to plan on moving somewhere you've never been, in a state you've never visited, with no job lined up and no friends or family here. Out of curiosity, why Charlotte? Will you be able to visit before committing to the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top