U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 PM
 
7,109 posts, read 9,743,801 times
Reputation: 2564

Advertisements

Maybe this is going to sound like . . . Hey would you like to buy a pair of hi-button shoes?

I went to a soccer game today and stood next to a father from Brazil who arrived last week to put his child,Pietro, in a NE school. We got to talking about the world, school, and bla, bla, bla. Started to touch on the value of schooling in the NE part of the US and how he accepted a position in a major hospital b/c of the value of the schooling in America.

A gazzillion years ago, it was common practice that families would send their children "East" to get an education.

Question. . . anybody know of families that send their children to schools out of state ie: the NE, or has this gone the way of hi-button shoes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Maybe this is going to sound like . . . Hey would you like to buy a pair of hi-button shoes?

I went to a soccer game today and stood next to a father from Brazil who arrived last week to put his child,Pietro, in a NE school. We got to talking about the world, school, and bla, bla, bla. Started to touch on the value of schooling in the NE part of the US and how he accepted a position in a major hospital b/c of the value of the schooling in America.

A gazzillion years ago, it was common practice that families would send their children "East" to get an education.

Question. . . anybody know of families that send their children to schools out of state ie: the NE, or has this gone the way of hi-button shoes??
I've not heard of that, but, if I had the means, I would send my kids to Europe for school rather than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 PM
 
332 posts, read 1,313,318 times
Reputation: 361
Through college, I met a lot of friends who had been educated at private boarding schools in the NE. Many were not originally from that area and had traveled from the south or even the midwest.

I went to a private undergrad, so maybe that's the reason I knew so many of those kids. I don't know that we ever talked about the benefits of it but most of them were on par with the rest of us... no better, no worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 AM
 
7,109 posts, read 9,743,801 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I've not heard of that, but, if I had the means, I would send my kids to Europe for school rather than here.
Why Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Why Europe?
When my son went to university there, we were exposed to their educational system. It is far superior to ours and it is no surprise that other countries beat us out in practically every subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 AM
 
797 posts, read 2,985,303 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
When my son went to university there, we were exposed to their educational system. It is far superior to ours and it is no surprise that other countries beat us out in practically every subject.
That's odd. I work with many expats from Europe and all of them specifically came to work over in the US b/c of our schooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,731,247 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
When my son went to university there, we were exposed to their educational system. It is far superior to ours and it is no surprise that other countries beat us out in practically every subject.
Exactly what universities are you refering to? Also, what are all of the subjects at which they beat us? Final question, what do you mean when you say they beat us at practically every subject? Your statement needs some credibility. I think that Duke, John Hopkins, Columbia, are amongst the best on Earth. Have you ever wondered why so many scientists and scholars go to school or seek employment at these places. The U.S. has the best engineering and medical schools in the world. I would put our Davidson College up against most undergraduate universities anywhere in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
 
332 posts, read 1,313,318 times
Reputation: 361
I think a lot of people confuse formality with being of higher quality. Not speaking to anyone within this thread, just saying that with my experiences in education, we were often criticized because we were not viewed as efficient when compared with international schools.

Most teachers pursuing advanced degrees are required to spend at minimum a few weeks overseas in either Japan or UK classrooms to see the difference in culture and education. Sure, there are some things to be learned but that doesn't mean that they are, on the whole, better than the US system.

I think the efficiency argument is valid, especially with concern for money spent per student... but I don't think that we are failing our students by not adopting foreign standards. There's room for growth here as well as there... especially with regard to education for all as non-dependent upon socio-economic status/class.

Just my 3 cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,731,247 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post


I think the efficiency argument is valid, especially with concern for money spent per student... but I don't think that we are failing our students by not adopting foreign standards. There's room for growth here as well as there... especially with regard to education for all as non-dependent upon socio-economic status/class.

Just my 3 cents...
I have nephews that are graduates from European universities (one just got his Phd from Durham University, England). The big difference between obtaining a degree in the U.S. and in Europe is the requirement for prerequisites. European universities require full time concentration on the particular area for which the degree is being sought. For example, if one is going for a degree in engineering, chances are that sociology or humanities won't be required to the extent that they would be in the U.S. Writing theses and disortations are more of a demand than classroom projects and attendance. Many foreign schools outperform U.S. students since their education system isn't dumbed down like ours. American schools set their standards to the performance of the "average" capability of poor performing students. This is so that we can make all of our students feel good about themselves whether they put forth any effort to learn or not. Many civilized countries overseas don't have the problems that we have with parents not participating in their students education either. They also don't have the concerns with disruptive students to the degree that we witness. Good thing we have private schools.

My kids went to schools overseas. In my opinion, they are generally very good or possibly better in the elementary grades. As kids go into middle shools (or whatever they are called depending on the country), they seem to lack the variety of different courses offered in the U.S. Therefore, most Americans that send their children to local European schools tend to withdraw them as the become older and send them to American schools so they won't be behind if and when they return to the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times
Reputation: 2324
When my son entered Keele University in Staffordshire, England to pursue a degree in International Relations (a subject, at the time, not even offered in American schools), he was told that his prior two years of education at UNCC was inferior and they would not accept any credits. He had to start over. However, when he came back to the US and was talking to the woman in charge of the newly minted International Relations program there and said that he was attending Keele, the woman was very excited and told him that his transfer back to UNCC to finish the degree would require less coursework. That is because Keele University is the second best International Relations school in the world.

Had a similar situation with my younger son as he applied to attend their high school which is similar to our community college. However, we never got to see how that panned out as he decided to quit entirely and not attend school at all.

Their method of educating is far more efficient and intense; you learn more in a shorter amount of time.

It is a well known fact that American students are well below their European counterparts in many subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top