U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Tell me more about your degree/experience and any other special skills you might have. I will try to help you figure out a strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM

256 posts, read 1,044,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn04 View Post
I'm a recent graduate, (East Carolina University) and I'm looking for a career start in Charlotte since my hometown is in Statesville, not too far. I'm having the worst time finding any opportunity and would like some help. I've tried all the careerbuilder, hotjobs website and they have all led me to scams. I have googled companies in charlotte and sent hundreds of resumes and never receiving any replies. I don't know what to do I feel like I've tried everything from walking in personally to companies to calling to emailing and nothing is working. Today it seems to be about who you know rather than what you know and I don't know anybody that can help. I have a degree in public relations and marketing and didn't think it would be that difficult to find a job in a big city like charlotte. I've been graduated since may and am very desperate. Could anybody help me? Thank you!
By any chance is this Bryn whose friend Whitney went to UNCC. If so, this is Whitney's roommate, Jackie's, mom. (You saw Jackie in China Grove last week.)

I understand how you feel. I have been looking for 4 months w/o any responses. But from what I understand, sometimes it takes a month just for them to review all of the resumes that they receive. One company told me that they were receiving 200 resumes a day. Also, you might looking into getting an internship with a company. Although you might not get paid, it might lead to something permanent in the future. Usually, if they like you and your work, they will hire you. Also try registering with as many temporary employment agencies as possible. These jobs can lead to permanent also and it is something to put on your resume as experience. AppleOne has been very responsive for me. Also, Google Top 50 Employers in NC and go on each website b/c many of them had info on internships. They are listed under "Students" but they also consider people just out of college w/o experience.

I applied to a company about 2 months ago and I just heard from them today for an interview.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,095,084 times
Quote:
I'm a recent graduate, (East Carolina University) and I'm looking for a career start in Charlotte since my hometown is in Statesville, not too far. I'm having the worst time finding any opportunity and would like some help. I've tried all the careerbuilder, hotjobs website and they have all led me to scams. I have googled companies in charlotte and sent hundreds of resumes and never receiving any replies. I don't know what to do I feel like I've tried everything from walking in personally to companies to calling to emailing and nothing is working. Today it seems to be about who you know rather than what you know and I don't know anybody that can help. I have a degree in public relations and marketing and didn't think it would be that difficult to find a job in a big city like charlotte. I've been graduated since may and am very desperate. Could anybody help me? Thank you!
Have you looked in Statesville at any of the healthcare facilities or large healthcare provider groups? Have you added any additional certifications to your basic degree? Considered taking some grad schools courses?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,940 times
My daughter is looking for her first job right now. She does alot of volutneering is able to document some work history even if it was not paid which seems to give her an advantage over other student with no work history. It just looks good too and shows you care about your community.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,692,730 times
Too many people are using the internet to try and land an interveiw, You got to stand out from the crowd. Forget the internet, Hand deliver a detailed letter of interest to companys that have the job you want . A clever well written leter can get you the interveiw, Marketing is a cool job if you got the special talent . Look at some of the tv commercials and you know someone got big bucks to think them up. Have you worked at an internship? If not find one because it can get your foot in the door and give people a chance to meet you and your talents. good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,758 times
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, I thought I was thinking outside the box but you all have given me something to think about. I technically graduated in december last year but was out of the country till may so its been along time without a job. I don't know how to find jobs with legitimate companies since they won't post the good jobs online, only through word of mouth. I am willing to do internships for little or no pay as long as I get my foot in the door somewhere. I am willing to relocate, I just simply cannot use the internet as a resource anymore because I have exhausted all the websites that have led me to dead ends. It seems that entry level positions are being given to experienced professionals because of the economic state that we are in.

mom2jackandjess, no I'm afraid i'm not Bryn that you're thinking of, although I do have a friend named whitney at UNCC. My first name is Bethany. Bryn is my middle name.

Anifani821- My full degree is a BA in Communication, international public relations and my minor was international marketing. I also spent time abroad in Moscow and can speak a little bit of Russian. My skills include drafting campaigns for non profits. ( I came up with a campaign for United Way to promote volunteerism amongst college students.) I also excel in leadership, I held many leadership roles in student government and other clubs and organizations, also founded a figure skating club while I was there. I have been nicknamed the mediator since conflict resolution seems to be an area that I excel in. I don't have much work experience as I graduated in 3 years takeing 21 credits most semesters. So I'm not lacking in determination or drive, I just need to channel it to the right company. I have also written many feature articles as a side hobby to hone my writing skills. I could go on and on but I'll stop for now. I appreciate your help, I can email you more if you'd like. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 AM

129 posts, read 299,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
it's always about WHO you know. you'll thank me 20 years from now.
This is the truth.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,864,796 times
Try Staples or Spherion.
The latter is an employment agency which sends people to the former where I work.
They were hiring here , but when I came in tonight , there was a sign stating they were no longer taking applications. Also , I recieved an email from indeed.com stating CMC is hiring for security positions. They are full time , 7A.M.to 7 P.M. EST. Another place to keep in mind is the TSA. They have positions for screeners at CLT and possibly other airports. For information , visit www.tsajobs.gov . For the former visit the annex building across from the ER at CMC downtown , or www.chs.org. Good Luck in your endeavours!!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:49 AM

616 posts, read 1,565,833 times
Oh my goodness, Bryn, it seems to me you could do well in Washington, D.C. working with political groups, think tanks, etc.

What have you done to make yourself known to our Senators, Representatives, etc. Maybe someone on this forum can help take this idea a little farther?

No matter what your political persuasion, this country needs talented young people, critical thinkers, communicators, with drive and stick-to-it-iveness.

The world is your oyster!

Quote:
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, I thought I was thinking outside the box but you all have given me something to think about. I technically graduated in december last year but was out of the country till may so its been along time without a job. I don't know how to find jobs with legitimate companies since they won't post the good jobs online, only through word of mouth. I am willing to do internships for little or no pay as long as I get my foot in the door somewhere. I am willing to relocate, I just simply cannot use the internet as a resource anymore because I have exhausted all the websites that have led me to dead ends. It seems that entry level positions are being given to experienced professionals because of the economic state that we are in.

mom2jackandjess, no I'm afraid i'm not Bryn that you're thinking of, although I do have a friend named whitney at UNCC. My first name is Bethany. Bryn is my middle name.

Anifani821- My full degree is a BA in Communication, international public relations and my minor was international marketing. I also spent time abroad in Moscow and can speak a little bit of Russian. My skills include drafting campaigns for non profits. ( I came up with a campaign for United Way to promote volunteerism amongst college students.) I also excel in leadership, I held many leadership roles in student government and other clubs and organizations, also founded a figure skating club while I was there. I have been nicknamed the mediator since conflict resolution seems to be an area that I excel in. I don't have much work experience as I graduated in 3 years takeing 21 credits most semesters. So I'm not lacking in determination or drive, I just need to channel it to the right company. I have also written many feature articles as a side hobby to hone my writing skills. I could go on and on but I'll stop for now. I appreciate your help, I can email you more if you'd like. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
I would start researching international businesses here in Charlotte.

Here is a resource for finding out more info about int'l businesses located in Charlotte. Start with websites for each company and see if there is a niche for you in any of those companies. You may have to do a lot of legwork to find out if any of the businesses have more onsite than manufacturing or production facilities. Such functions as customer service and marketing may likely be performed at some other location, but you won't know til you start digging.

Charlotte USA - The Charlotte Regional Partnership - Promoting Business Relocation and Economic Development in the Charlotte, North Carolina Region

For example, SAERTEX is in Iredell County . . .

SAERTEX USA, LLC.

12200 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Rd.
Suite A
USA-Huntersville, NC 28078 (USA)

Tel +1 704 464 5998
Fax +1 704 464 5922

E-Mail info.usa@saertex.com

Picking out a company you really want to work for - and assuming they do employ folks with your particular qualifications - can be an excellent way to get your foot in the door. Managers like to hire people who already know the company's business and want to be part of the organization. So research all you can before you show up to speak to someone in HR. You will find that personally handing your resume to someone often works best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or