U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 AM

852 posts, read 2,215,657 times

Advertisements

Having read the pansies post I was wondering what, if anything, everyone is growing in their garden over the winter months. I have just prepared my raised beds for broccoli, collards etc but would love to hear if there is something else to grow. I have had a summer of living and learning about my new raised beds - planted stuff in the wrong sides of the beds - shade problems but next year..................well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,930,217 times
Oh I love to garden in the winter in Charlotte. I've already turned over most of my garden and have planted broccoli, various cabbages, napa, bok choi, swiss chard, mustard greens, japanese daikon, and working on getting some turnips planted. I am not a big fan of collards, but this is the time to get them into the ground too.

I still have part of it reserved with leftover peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and okra plants, though all of them are barely putting out now. The tomatoes are good of about one/day, the peppers are still fine as I am the only one in the household that likes this kind of heat, the okra is going into the deep freezer and the asian eggplant is a luxury that we appreciate when we can harvest enough to put into a stir fry.

When the leaves start dropping at the end of next month, we will dump them into the garden and periodically starting in early Jan, I will turn them over with the tiller so that by the next growing season they will have decomposed into a wonderful rich earth.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM

852 posts, read 2,215,657 times
wow - your garden sounds fabulous. I think I may have to try the turnips which I love and have you ever grown rutabagas (we call them swede)? I did notice on another post you mentioned parkseed.com where I have purchased plants before but I noticed that they said they were completely out of vegetable plants already. Have you found anywhere else that may have them? Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,091,344 times
Hey, you mean I can still plant brocolli??? I started my veggie garden way too late originally, still have some tomatoes producing and some watermelons that will probably not get big enough.

I have broccoli and lettuce seeds though... still okay to start them? Should I start them inside? Will I need to cover them up at night?

Still new to gardening down here, sure is hard to get used to different seasons than I'm used to!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,338,411 times
Growing a Fall Vegetable Garden

Im not sure if this will work, but I found this link and it has a nice guide to growing a fall vegetable garden. It is from NC State.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM

905 posts, read 3,064,852 times
I just found a flat of snapdragons @ Lowes for $3! They will winter over here and bloom like crazy come spring and summer

Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Hey, you mean I can still plant brocolli??? ....
Only if you buy plants and hope that we have a milder start to the winter. I've had mine in the ground now about a month. Sept 15 is probably the latest I would try for brocolli or cabbage unless it was a short maturity variety. The cold that we get here actually won't kill them off, if at all until February, but once the nights start routinely hitting freezing they won't grow much either. I have harvested cabbages and broccoli until late January at times however.

You are still fine with any greens even from seed if you plant them now.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
.... have you ever grown rutabagas (we call them swede)? I did notice on another post you mentioned parkseed.com where I have purchased plants before but I noticed that they said they were completely out of vegetable plants already. Have you found anywhere else that may have them? Thanks for your advice.
I have not tried rutabagas. I might try them thanks for the advice. I buy plants from a small seed supply and greenhouse in Mooresville just North of the old downtown. Great place for both and I've never been letdown by anything they sell. You might still be able to find stuff there. If you follow main street North of downtown, it will be on your left side. Unfortunately i don't remember the name.

--------------------------

If you have the patience, BTW, and if you like good garlic, this is the time of the year to be looking at getting some garlic to grow. You won't actually put it into the ground until November, but the bulb stock for it sells out fast. I am talking about the really nice hard stalk variety like the Russian reds that you will never find in the store. Mostly what they sell in the grocery store is called artichoke garlic and is a soft stalk variety. The difference being is that its easy to ship and lasts a long time, but the flavor isn't that good. There is no source that I can think of in Charlotte for this but go on the internet and do a search.

You plant garlic here in the early winter for harvest next June-July. I've done this a few times here in Charlotte and though it makes for a long growing time, the results are worth it. The bulbs you harvest will last about 6 months when they will start sprouting again for the next growing cycle.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,869,114 times
I enjoy reading the Garden writer, Tom Walden, in the Monroe Enquirer Journal. They have just recently made their newspaper available online. You might like to browse his columns here:

enquirerjournal (http://www.enquirerjournal.com/pages/news_garden - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or