U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM

367 posts, read 927,870 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to Charlotte next month and we are looking hard at Shea or M/I to build our home. Having said that, we currently live in a Centex home here in Oregon and have been very pleased. We have lived here since 2003 and I have yet to find a nail pop. The only complaint I would have is the initial paint job didn't last long. They use Hardi Plank here and many builders tend to go cheap on the initial paint job. Plenty of migrant workers to paint your house around here at a reasonable price though. We just had ours painted to sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,613,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I am moving my family to Charlotte next month and we are looking hard at Shea or M/I to build our home. Having said that, we currently live in a Centex home here in Oregon and have been very pleased. We have lived here since 2003 and I have yet to find a nail pop. The only complaint I would have is the initial paint job didn't last long. They use Hardi Plank here and many builders tend to go cheap on the initial paint job. Plenty of migrant workers to paint your house around here at a reasonable price though. We just had ours painted to sale.
Well as much as I love MI and I brag about them, you really have to babysit the construction of your home. They are really nice there and quality in itself is good but we have caught several mistakes. If we were out of towners it would have been awful. So far they were closing in a room that should have been open with arches and railing, they took that apart and fixed it. My porch light is not centered. My husband had to bang a few things in here and there and now today we found out our back patio has not been poured to the diagram we drew to our specifications. It has to be taken apart Geez If I wasn't here and my house would have been done like that we would have not been happy.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:45 PM

889 posts, read 2,844,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Well as much as I love MI and I brag about them, you really have to babysit the construction of your home. They are really nice there and quality in itself is good but we have caught several mistakes. If we were out of towners it would have been awful. So far they were closing in a room that should have been open with arches and railing, they took that apart and fixed it. My porch light is not centered. My husband had to bang a few things in here and there and now today we found out our back patio has not been poured to the diagram we drew to our specifications. It has to be taken apart Geez If I wasn't here and my house would have been done like that we would have not been happy.
Good thing you and Louie are here to monitor these mistakes, unfortualty i think at times they are rushing to finish and dont pay attention to what you have requested.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Good thing you and Louie are here to monitor these mistakes, unfortualty i think at times they are rushing to finish and dont pay attention to what you have requested.
Your darn right, they are not reading the whatever they are suppose to be reading. They better fix that crooked light over my front door too. I told him to stop by every other day and walk through. He'll be working in that area next week so he'll have more time to check up on them.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:12 PM

474 posts, read 1,593,531 times
Quote:
Funny you say that - we're in the process of completing our third new home with our third different builder and I've come to the conclusion that all builders would prefer to make mistakes and fix them later rather than do the job right the first time around. I also love when they allow the subs to do real sloppy work and act as though it's fine. Then you ask them if they'd accept that work in their house....and they don't have answer.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Funny you say that - we're in the process of completing our third new home with our third different builder and I've come to the conclusion that all builders would prefer to make mistakes and fix them later rather than do the job right the first time around. I also love when they allow the subs to do real sloppy work and act as though it's fine. Then you ask them if they'd accept that work in their house....and they don't have answer.

Yeah I know but these mistakes are huge, they would have had to take a whole room apart, it's bad enough they have to break up that whole patio and do it over. Shoddy work is not going fly with us. Well it's not that it's shoddy except for the crooked light and a couple of things my husband was banging in, he actually took something apart he didn't like But they are not reading the instructions or whatever, no excuse for that.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 AM

367 posts, read 927,870 times
Quote:
Sheena, I know what you mean! We went through the same thing with Centex. I think the problem was we deviated from the standard blue print, and from what I have heard M/I is good about letting you customize a bit too. I went by the house everyday when we built our current home. I caught an issue in framing where they were going by the origional blue print and not our specs. They corrected the problem quick though. If I had not been so nosey it would have been a head ache to fix after drywall. I will do the same thing to M/I or Shea in Charlotte, which ever we choose to go with.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Sheena, I know what you mean! We went through the same thing with Centex. I think the problem was we deviated from the standard blue print, and from what I have heard M/I is good about letting you customize a bit too. I went by the house everyday when we built our current home. I caught an issue in framing where they were going by the origional blue print and not our specs. They corrected the problem quick though. If I had not been so nosey it would have been a head ache to fix after drywall. I will do the same thing to M/I or Shea in Charlotte, which ever we choose to go with.

Yep that's it. MI lets you do just about whatever you want and to complicate the matter I switched houses and bought one of their inventory homes that they already had plans for but they let me re-do what I wanted done to it since it hadn't been poured yet. I think they keep looking at the spec sheet but the builder still needs to pay close attention to what they are doing. I'm gonna check and see it they are jack hammering my patio today

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM

120 posts, read 283,077 times
We bought a model home from Shea and they've been very good to us. My husband is a bit picky and they've always been gracious towards him and his nitpicky questions/problems.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

50 posts, read 164,736 times
I am so pleased with John Weiland. I bought in Brookhaven and they hand hold like you are building a custom home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte