Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times

Advertisements

Is your Internet speed good or bad? Speedtest.net compiled a map for Mecklenburg County based on people doing speed tests. If your internet is slow and makes you unhappy your only solution might to be to move to a different zipcode. Surprising and shocking results on this map:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
If I remember correctly, I was around 7-8 mbps with my Time Warner/Road Runner. I think this is above or around the national average so there is not much to complain about.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
The northeast/University City part of town may be getting a bump in the near future. A bunch of fiber optic was just installed all over the place. I have no idea who owns the lines. Maybe it's existing utilities upgrading or maybe it's someone new coming into town. It'll likely be a year or so before they go into action, at least for the average residential house.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Download speed is far from the whole story... up is the key to true performance.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM

24 posts, read 51,159 times
On Long Island we have slow A## hughes net , faster than dial up but not by much, for alot more money!! i had hoped for better service when we moved, Isn't verizon fios availible in Mecklenberg county, anywhere. I thought that could be the fiber optic cables being installed were for, their supposed to be expanding i believe nationwide? are there no other options for service?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
AT&T is running fiber for U-verse in Charlotte. I dont think you can get Verizon internet here in Charlotte.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Download speed is far from the whole story... up is the key to true performance.
Unless you are downloading huge torrents and are leeching. In that case, who cares what the upload speed is?

I have never heard of this company, Sucko Conglomeration. Do they have a web site.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Unless you are downloading huge torrents and are leeching. In that case, who cares what the upload speed is?

I have never heard of this company, Sucko Conglomeration. Do they have a web site.
Upload is important if you do web design or even for just simply uploading pics to print. When I upload a batch of pics to my website after a trip or something, I set it and forget it...go get a drink or something. then come back later and hope it didn't time out or otherwise hiccup!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Everything we do has some impact on your upload speed... whether it's posting here, online gaming, or adding images to a photo album on Picasa or Facebook.

Think of it to the common scales of down v. up...It's common to get 4-5Mbps down now - most cable providers will provide at least that. There's a huge drop off to upload speed... when I was down there I saw it was common to only get 128kbps up.

The infrastructure is the key to upload and why most providers can't meet higher numbers - they need the fiber backbone. Upload is why satellite can't be reliable ISPs - they can get you the down, they can't get you the up.

Up is where it's at.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Upload is important if you do web design or even for just simply uploading pics to print. When I upload a batch of pics to my website after a trip or something, I set it and forget it...go get a drink or something. then come back later and hope it didn't time out or otherwise hiccup!
Ya, my wife has the same problem with her photos and with working from home. Takes her forever to save files up to her server in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte