U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times

Advertisements

ok I feel better.
Thanks
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
ok I feel better.
Thanks
NP, You're welcome, Sunny. Some stuff at Aldi is the same as Trader Joe's but not much. (I've also shopped at Trader Joe's for about 10 years)

I've found that both stores tend to jump on recalls, frequently faster than other chains.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM

45 posts, read 276,059 times
Nothing to complain here but I agree that you should bring your 25 cent to get a shopping cart, but they will give you that 25 cent back when you return the cart, and bring your own bags too...

Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,152,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post
Nothing to complain here but I agree that you should bring your 25 cent to get a shopping cart, but they will give you that 25 cent back when you return the cart, and bring your own bags too...
what?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,480,352 times
Few other things I've noticed at Aldi's...

The bananas may be more "natural" than at the other markets. They are green when they arrive, and they seem to turn yellow with the brown dots faster than I'm accustomed to. I haven't decided what I think of this... I usually buy the smallest bag I can, so that I don't end up with overripe bananas.

The soups are really good, and cheap!

The yogourt is OK, it's a little over-sweetened... but also very cheap, less than half the price of elsewhere.

Their upscale "Belmont" ice cream is kind of strange. It's a little drier and gummier than Breyer's or Ben and Jerry's. It tastes fine... but it's just an odd texture, if you are accustomed to the big brands.

I'll stop at Aldi just for pretzels. You can get a big Costco-sized *tub* pretzel sticks for less than an 8 ounce bag of them at Harris Teeter would cost.

I do still shop at Harris Teeter more than half the time. 24 hour convenience is worth something, and the variety of fruit and organic frozen dinners they have, keeps me going there.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 01-09-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Warming up this old thread... Since Aldi's is near the Tyvola and Woodlawn Park'n'Rides I still stop in every few weeks. It's hard to make this my only store - but they do have some things regularly that are quite cheap to return for and expect to find.

I usually get some summer squash, carrots and a cauliflower to mix into my own soups and pasta salads. These will keep for a week easily in the fridge and are maybe $1.50 each.

I've gotten used to the Belmont ice cream. You can get 1.75 quarts of it for the same price as a PINT of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Daaz, when they are *on sale* elsewhere. It's kind of fluffy and icy in comparison.. but tastes fine, and you sure do get a lot of it. (And Belmont is the *upscale* brand... you can go cheaper, if you want.)

They usually have large cans of nuts for a few dollars a pound. Pretty hard to go wrong with these... can you seriously say that nuts taste any different from an upscale store? A long-term storage item of modest preparation, that sits for a few months on the shelf regardless of where purchased... so why pay more?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,056,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post

Reminds me of living in Germany. We had to pay at the time 10 pfinnings (about 5 cents) for a bag.Some people brought the wicker baskets or simply wheeled the cart out and loaded the car. Saw on the use of plastic. Greener.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 PM

In case anyone wanted to know, the new ALDI in Pineville on Park road has been open for about a month now. It's just like any other one in town. (Although the parking lot is a little odd, I wish the lines would be redrawn to angle better for drivers coming into it.)

Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,923,848 times
Bumping this up as I started shopping at aldi's recently. Anyone hear on the grapevine of any opening in Charlotte other than Pineville?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,425,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
Aldi has great prices. Milk was $1.47 a gallon there last week. My DH got a filet mignon at the Matthews store for $2 that he said was great. I think their produce is pretty good too. Their generics are made in the same plants as the private labels. It is cash only so be prepared for that.
Reading through some of these old posts and Wow in 4 years milk price over doubled, Lucky if you get it under $4.00 now, hopefully this trend slows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte