Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM

139 posts, read 314,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Make sure to have your .25 ready so that you can get a shopping cart.

bah, it's £1 here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
where at the lake?
It's across the street from Super Walmart and next to Lowes at the junction of Hwy 16 and Hwy 73. Got a coupon in the mail for them for $5 off $30 purchase which is a pretty good discount. So based on the comments here, which I appreciate, I'll probably head over there.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It's across the street from Super Walmart and next to Lowes at the junction of Hwy 16 and Hwy 73. Got a coupon in the mail for them for $5 off $30 purchase which is a pretty good discount. So based on the comments here, which I appreciate, I'll probably head over there.
You got a COUPON for Aldi's!?!?! Never heard of that but I sure wish they'd send me some.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
We love Aldi! I resisted going for a long time, because of other "discount" grocery stores being nasty and having really poor quality stuff; Aldi is not like that at all. Their products are their brand, for the most part. They do get in specials of name-brand stuff every now and then (i.e., Boca Burgers was a recent one, they usually have Pringles). I am VERY picky about cereal, it's a comfort food for me, so it needs to taste like it's always tasted - Aldi's cereals taste just like the national brands, but it's less than $2. Their chocolate is *excellent*, I use it for all my Christmas candy-making.

I didn't know about the quarter-for-a-cart (it gets returned) the first time I went, and I didn't have a quarter. Someone had left a quarter in one of the carts! So now I do that, too, just about every time I go. I take all my HT and Trader Joe's bags, or if I forget, I use the boxes they have.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
All I can say is WoW. Just got back from the opening and this is a very nice clean store with a great selection. It's nice to see a simple no-frills grocery store again after years of the only choice in CLT being either a "life style center" ah la Harris Teeter or a super size place that you need a roadmap (or gps) to get around in. It was certainly a nicer experience than the new Bloom that opened up here a couple of weeks ago which was a whole bunch of nothing, IMO.

Aldi Bonus: no damned affinity card needed.

I like the idea of a quarter deposit on the buggies and the paying for bags makes sense to though they were giving them out for free today. This store did have a meat section where they were selling chicken and beef at some pretty amazing, stock up the freezer kind of prices. Huge frozen section too as well as lots of fresh vegetables. The place was packed which I guess in part was due to the $5 coupon and the fact that it was new. It actually reminded me of the polite ordered mayhem that i've seen in supermarkets in Tokyo. If you don't mind something a little different, definately worth checking out. I hope they put one up a little closer in Huntersville.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:
Is that Denver?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
I love Aldi! It has saved me alot of $ over Harris Teeter - where I use to shop! I have found that you can't get everything you need at Aldi but if you get most of your items there you can save!

I buy chocolate, 2.99 wine!, blue tortilla chips, I like the olive oil!, Aldi brand frosted mini- wheats, milk, eggs, sliced cheese, orange juice, tea, coffee, 3-pak of romaine lettuce $1.99, bread <.99, produce, bags of oranges and apples, canned peas, mushrooms, tomato paste, corn, love their cosmetics (face wash, mascara and chap-stick stuff), popsicles, frozen peas, frozen asparagus, yogurt. I liked the ground turkey.

Only found a few things I did not like so far - the marshmellows taste funny to me and the cheese-its don't have any flavor.

One thing - they typically stock the shelves in the a.m. so go early for the best selection - especially produce!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Aldi is my favorite store too! I just usually shop there or Wallyworld b/c those 2 stores are waaaaaaaaaaaay less expensive than Food Lion, Harris Teeter or Lowe's Foods.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
I hope they put one up a little closer in Huntersville.
I don't know where you are in Huntersville, but there is one on Prosperity Church Road. I grew up in that area, and my mom worked in Huntersville, so I remember making that drive frequently! We used to go 115, Alexanderana, Eastfield, then Browne Road to Dearmon to Prosperity Church - I don't even know if those are the same road names, now, or how it all connects. It's been a while since I was up there! It was mostly cows back then.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,384 times
I'm jealous of all you who have an Aldi close by. I ventured into one when I was visiting family in NC over the summer. I loved it! There were so many things I wanted to try, especially all the frozen fish and shrimp. Really looked good and a cousin in the area said the salmon was very good.

We do have an Aldi in my town but it's an hour drive one way. I suppose I could put a cooler in my car packed full of ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte