U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM

203 posts, read 436,594 times

Advertisements

And there it is...man is my timing good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGuy2009 View Post
For the person that sent me the private mesage and said they were praying for me and for something to happen soon, I sincerely thank you.
M
haha - why not reply to the DM?

I too wonder what the motivation here is...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
No offense to anyone - but seems we are getting mixed up about details. Appears the guy had a business, and that would mean NO UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION. Whatever money he made off his business - that is what he has to live off - no money coming in. That's the way I read it.

His friend knew about a rental in a somewhat rural area - and so he probably got the house based on a recommendation by his friend to the landlord. That's the way things work in more rural areas - at least, that's my experience.

Here are my thoughts: hardly anyone is replacing a job in less than 6 months. So 4 months is not a long time to be out of work here. Most of my out of work neighbors and friends have been out of work for 9 -12 months now. A few are coming up on a year next month.

I had a neighbor move about 8 weeks ago . . . been out of work for over a year - had the house on the market for a while and they have moved back home - out of state.

Another neighbor had her cousin move in with them. Single parent, female, out of work - needed help to pay the mortgage. Cousin and his wife both lost their jobs (out of state) so they brought their unemployment checks and moved in. Well, they moved out a few weeks ago - couldn't find jobs here.

It is just tough here right now.

The only suggestion I have is to figure out if you have a skill that can make money - such as painting, landscaping, furniture refinishing - and start a business out of home. I saw a guy on TV who had created a bicycle repair business - and he goes on-site to fix people's bikes.

The only other suggestion I have is to stop looking in Charlotte and start looking in other small towns - and change your resume. No one will get upset if you leave off education, lol.

In other words, if you got an associate's degree and then got a bachelor's degree, just leave the bachelor's degree off when you go for the low-level jobs.

Be willing to work in a warehouse or grocery store. If you have any inventory experience, emphasize that. Check at the airport, including security services.

I also think your resume may not be working for you. Just b/c you paid someone to do it - doesn't mean it is sending out the right message. I tell folks to change their resume - emphasizing different skills - for each job.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:02 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I want to know if the OP has exhausted all 79 weeks of UI benefits!!!
CC - he sold a business - no unemployment benefits!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
haha - why not reply to the DM?

I too wonder what the motivation here is...
Maybe someone giving a lead on a job?

What else could it be?

Looking for a roommate with a paycheck?

A newspaper reporter looking for hard luck stories?

A preliminary to a diatribe about how locals won't hire anyone who isn't from this area?

Now that you mention it - his post is very well written. He could be a writer faking us out and just looking for stories for a blog . . . I guess . . .

Is there more to your story, Charlotte Guy?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM

DM at your own risk.

How many times can you spell resume wrong?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:17 PM

the more you go back and read the more shady it looks.

Unless this guy is a lady from 1930...who uses the word "fellow?"

And "grooms" himself?

"I'm going to go groom myself to meet a fellow...and bring my reume."

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Now, Gregory . . . I use "groom" - well, rarely - but it is in my vocab - more often used in regard to pets and grooming. And I use fellah (fellow).

Well if this is about getting donations, I have a HUGE hospital bill to pay. Please PM me and I will direct you to my PayPal account.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM

716 posts, read 1,358,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Most of my out of work neighbors and friends have been out of work for 9 -12 months now. A few are coming up on a year next month.

I have been out of work for 14 months now Quite honestly though I really wonder what the real unemployment numbers are, including myself I know many other people who are out of work as well. I have talked to relatives in PA and they are even telling me that layoffs are continuing. I talked to my cousin the other day who says GE just announced 200 permanent layoffs at a local plant in Grove City, PA.

Also has anyone been watching the Dollar lately? Its been getting crushed and there has been alot going on behind the scenes, especially with China and the Dollar. When all this starts hitting the press watch out

Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM

622 posts, read 1,584,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I earned mine so I expect the OP to have earned his as well!!!!
CharlotteCharlotte,

Please read the circumstances of the OP before being critical. If the info is true, the OP was an independent business person contributing to society and the tax base. Unfortunately, being an entrepenuer, does not carry the benefits associated with a 9-5 position.

Both my wife and I are independent contractors who pay our taxes, but we are not entitled to unemployment benefits. Therefore, we cannot sit on our butts and collect unemployment insurance (as some are bragging about) due to lack of work. We must pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and become employed and a contributing member of society as soon as possible.

Please show some empathy and contribute to a resolution of the OP's plight before responding in the manner you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or