U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

Due to some unique circumstances, I was able to make a 15 year dream come true and I was finally able to relocate to Charlotte NC: a more moderate climate....I can pursue my outdoor hobbies longer through the year, I caught the Nascar bug around 2000 and now I am addicted, and that Southern Charm.

I met a fellow online (we share the same hobby) and after talking awhile and letting him know that I was interested in moving to his area of the country, the next thing I knew the house right next door to him opened up as a rental. I was in the process of closing a small business I was operating so timing was good.

So there I was, living my dream in a newer smallish house just outside of Charlotte a little bit out in the country....talk about heaven and waking up every day with a big smile.

Now comes the problem. Not only can I not find employment, I cannot even land an interview. Its going on 4 months now, closing in on 600 resumes and applications have sent. I have exhausted the few contacts that my neighbor has, I have contacted every employment agency in the area, I have dropped off reumes in person, I have visited pastors in large churches for help, I have cold called, I have followed up on applied positions up to a dozen times with no luck, I have tried to network with others and they just walk away.

I have a 4 year degree in general business and many years of professional experience and management behind me. I have applied for basic customer service type positions, not a single interview. I am only guessing that they see a bachelors from a major university and think that I just want that job as a stop gap.

I have applied for education and experience appropriate positions with zero results. On top of this I have had several unexpected and downright
strange expenses come up since I have been here. My pet, after 8 years of perfect health since born, got sick and required a $1000 surgury. I got a seat belt ticket. I have not had a ticket in 15 years. I have a perfect driving record, but he felt it necessary to pull me over just because I didn't have the belt on at that moment.

I'm running out of money because I have no income but have been spending plently since I moved here. All I want to do is work. Daily I go to the job boards, Career Builder, Monster, Craigs List, and there are dozens and dozens of open, advertised positions in Charlotte and the surrounding areas. I submit to all of them but nothing. I have had my reume redone by "pros" 3 times since I have been here....no help.

I have groomed myself to be "easily employable" i.e. professional appearance, good education, a true business focus, healthy lifestyle, etc.

Now at a point in my life where I have a wealth of professional experience, I can't even land an interview even though there are plenty of positions advertised, and companies daily have turnover, whether it be through promotion, death, firing, etc.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS WORK.

Sincerely,
CharlotteGuy2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Your post needs to be a sticky.

For months many of us regulars have been trying to warn potential transplants "DO NOT COME TO CHARLOTTE WITHOUT SECURING A JOB FIRST". And for our trouble we have been mocked and chastised by some folks who frequent this site.

Well, your experience is why I will keep saying it, as often as the opportunity to say it arises.

I am so sorry you didn't get that message and are now in the situation you are in. I sincerely hope all your efforts will land you something soon. It can be really tough here in Charlotte right now, so just know, you are not alone - thousands of people are in your boat. Again, I'm sorry.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,926,101 times
I feel bad for your situation and wish I could offer some ideas to help. However you may have to consider returning to the place whence you came.

Though it doesn't help your situation, the lesson here for anyone else is don't come to Charlotte unless you have a job lined up first. You especially don't want to give up a job to come here. M6 unemployment is closing in on 18% which is significant when you consider how many people already live here.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times
I think the problem may lie with your degree and field of work (aside from the fact that the economy is slumped right now). Business degrees are a dime a dozen (heck, a nickle per dozen in a saturated city like Charlotte)...and I mean that with absolutely no intent to cut anyone down. The market is flooded in all fields...but there is movement in the not-so-generic fields. For example, engineering--arguably a little more difficult of a subject/degree field. Sure there are tons of unemployed engineers right now, but I know for a fact that there are jobs available and folks are landing them. On the opposite side of the spectrum (the non-white collar), specialized fields and trade jobs are opening too. My brother-in-law just landed a job as a printing equipment operator and is moving up to CLT from FL. The construction industry has a little current running through it right now (hopefully to turn into a full flow sooner than later), so there are jobs there.

I guess what I'm saying is when you've got something that everyone has, that something is not going to be too valuable and do much for you. Again, absolutely no disrespect to anyone with this type of background--I'm just trying to point out the big elephant that's sitting in the corner of the room. But if you look at the Charlotte skyline and see those massive concrete and steel structures full of tens of thousands of people and think about the fact that the vast majority of those folks are business degree types...that's where my point is.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your post needs to be a sticky.

For months many of us regulars have been trying to warn potential transplants "DO NOT COME TO CHARLOTTE WITHOUT SECURING A JOB FIRST". And for our trouble we have been mocked and chastised by some folks who frequent this site.

Well, your experience is why I will keep saying it, as often as the opportunity to say it arises.

I am so sorry you didn't get that message and are now in the situation you are in. I sincerely hope all your efforts will land you something soon. It can be really tough here in Charlotte right now, so just know, you are not alone - thousands of people are in your boat. Again, I'm sorry.
I think he said that he has been living in Charlotte since 2000 and I'm assuming that he has had a job up until now, but now he has gone thru some really hard times recently. But anyway, I hope that something will open up for you soon. But I agree, please don't move anywhere, not just Charlotte, w/o first having something lined up.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM

716 posts, read 1,358,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGuy2009 View Post

I am only guessing that they see a bachelors from a major university and think that I just want that job as a stop gap.

Hint Hint why don't you just leave your bachelors degree off the resume? Also are you telling us that ur unemployment has dried up?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
prwfromnc
136 posts, read 36,255 times

I think he said that he has been living in Charlotte since 2000 and I'm assuming that he has had a job up until now, but now he has gone thru some really hard times recently. But anyway, I hope that something will open up for you soon. But I agree, please don't move anywhere, not just Charlotte, w/o first having something lined up.

Uh, no. He said he's been here 4 months - he caught the "nascar bug" in 2000.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
Sorry if you feel that I am kicking you when you are down, but what does a seat belt ticket have to do with anything? You broke a law and got a ticket.

As far as the job hunt, have you tried:

1. LinkedIn | Relationships Matter Never used it but I keep hearing people talk about how great it is.
2. Meeting people through Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com They have lots of social groups to join for more networking possibilites.
3. Volunteer work? Helps you meet people and can give you experience for your resume.

You say your resume was redone by pros but I have always heard that you should have a few different ones to highlight whatever skills you have that are required for a particular job.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
prwfromnc
136 posts, read 36,255 times

Uh, no. He said he's been here 4 months - he caught the "nascar bug" in 2000.
Sorry, my bad!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Sorry if you feel that I am kicking you when you are down, but what does a seat belt ticket have to do with anything? You broke a law and got a ticket.

As far as the job hunt, have you tried:

1. LinkedIn | Relationships Matter Never used it but I keep hearing people talk about how great it is.
2. Meeting people through Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com They have lots of social groups to join for more networking possibilites.
3. Volunteer work? Helps you meet people and can give you experience for your resume.

You say your resume was redone by pros but I have always heard that you should have a few different ones to highlight whatever skills you have that are required for a particular job.
Re: seat belt thing. I think the guy was trying to say--when it rains it pours. More money out and none coming in. Every penny feels like a man hole cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or