U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 01:44 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,850,633 times

Advertisements

Lets face it. Traveling by rail unless you pick it up right near your house is inconvenient compared to driving your car ALONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Lets face it. Traveling by rail unless you pick it up right near your house is inconvenient compared to driving your car ALONE
At the rate Charlotte is growing, in 5 years that won't be the case. The roads will be parking lots (a la Springfield, VA), and at that point WALKING will be fasting and more convenient than driving your car. Adding lanes to roads will only encourage MORE people to drive, making the problem worse. It's pretty clear that more lanes hasn't worked in ATL, LA, DC, or any other city with insanely wide freeways.

In order to truly curb traffic, alternate modes of transportation have to be utilized.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:28 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,442 times
Default Stupid question

I was reading all of your very informative posts, and what I was wondering if the traffic in and around Charlotte is terrible all the time... or is it only bad during rush hours. How is it in the middle of the day and early evenings?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:29 PM

32 posts, read 100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I was reading all of your very informative posts, and what I was wondering if the traffic in and around Charlotte is terrible all the time... or is it only bad during rush hours. How is it in the middle of the day and early evenings?
Traffic's really not that bad, although I can see how in 5-10 years, with the rate of growth here, it WILL become a problem.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Off rush hour its not bad at all except in pockets. its rush hour that is a bear.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! I will tell you that Charlotte's growth and growing pains sound a lot like what I experienced over the last 10 or so years in South Florida.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Exactly the same. Except we are etting Florida people and people like me from the Northern tier..sort of a double whammy.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM

I am the triple whammy! Grew up on Long Island NY, moved and was a happy South Floridian (LOVED IT) for about 12 years and then moved last year to NJ (HATE IT) for DH's work. Moving to Charlotte area before the New Year... I hope.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Wow..now that is covering the East coast.. I lived in Sarasota actually for 6 months in summer. Man was it HOT...holy moly. I mean 90 and humid for 4 months straight. By now it was upper 80's every day and a sun that would burn a hole in you....I dont know how people live down there all year around. This is as far south as i would go and I bet I'll be dripping and bitching in July here too.....but overall the weather is great here.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wow..now that is covering the East coast.. I lived in Sarasota actually for 6 months in summer. Man was it HOT...holy moly. I mean 90 and humid for 4 months straight. By now it was upper 80's every day and a sun that would burn a hole in you....I dont know how people live down there all year around. This is as far south as i would go and I bet I'll be dripping and bitching in July here too.....but overall the weather is great here.

LOL you reminded me of my vacation 2 years ago to Ft Lauderdale for 4th of July week. I was blown away how cheap hotels was in the area because they consider it the off season and that didnt make sense to me since it was a holiday week in middle of travel season.

When you said felt like burn a hole thru you I chuckled because it did feel like someone was standing over you with a huge magnify glass pointed on you with the sun going thru LOL.

I had a blast the people in that area was very nice and I never seen blue clear water so it was a treat.

The humidity just blows me away you can really tell you are alot closer to the equator. I remember when Florida was the hot state to move to and people going there to retire but after visiting there I do not know how someone at a retirment age health can handle that heat.

I think you will think our summers are nothing after Florida and you can always go into some store where they have thermostat in summer set to Meat Locker temperature lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or