U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 AM

339 posts, read 2,045,351 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a student in the PNW who wants to study accounting, and since I'll probably need to sit for a masters program if I want my CPA. When looking for a masters program, people have told me it's best to attend a program that has a solid reputation in the area you might want to work in and that you can afford. Cost won't really be an issue for me, but does anyone know what the most reputable programs in the mid-atlantic region are or what schools are well received in Charlotte, because I'm thinking I might want to live there someday? I know UNC-Chapel Hill would be amazing, but they only have a program for non-accounting majors, and I'd also assume University of Virginia is held in high-esteem there, but are there any others?

Also, just in general, how is the job market for accountants in NC and what type of person would Charlotte appeal to? Coming from the PNW where we have two seasons (wet and dry), I'd like to have either warm weather year round or 4 seasons, so does Charlotte have that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM

47 posts, read 89,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi,

I'm a student in the PNW who wants to study accounting, and since I'll probably need to sit for a masters program if I want my CPA. When looking for a masters program, people have told me it's best to attend a program that has a solid reputation in the area you might want to work in and that you can afford. Cost won't really be an issue for me, but does anyone know what the most reputable programs in the mid-atlantic region are or what schools are well received in Charlotte, because I'm thinking I might want to live there someday? I know UNC-Chapel Hill would be amazing, but they only have a program for non-accounting majors, and I'd also assume University of Virginia is held in high-esteem there, but are there any others?

Also, just in general, how is the job market for accountants in NC and what type of person would Charlotte appeal to? Coming from the PNW where we have two seasons (wet and dry), I'd like to have either warm weather year round or 4 seasons, so does Charlotte have that?
Appalachian State is supposed to have one of the better accounting programs around. If you want to work in Charlotte, it also would not be a bad idea to look into getting your MACC at UNCC as the university has ties to the local accounting firms.

Charlotte has a few big accounting firms, namely Deloitte, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, and Grant Thornton. I interviewed with all of them and even did an office visit/leadership conference with Deloitte in the hopes of getting an internship but it didn't work out, even though I had a relative who worked there for 5 years and was pretty high up at one of their audit clients. I was in the accounting fraternity and had a 3.8 GPA. My point in telling you this is that there's no guarantee on anything, even if you make all of the right moves.

I ended up working for a small public accounting firm in Charlotte and have LOVED it. I was admitted into the MACC program at UNCC and was on track to go back to school but my boss basically told me in so many words that he didn't care if I did it or not - that the CPA certificate is what mattered. I ended up getting 3 credit hours at the local community college and have sat for 3 parts of the exam so far.

In NC, you have to have 120 credit hours, 30 of which in accounting, to sit for the exam. You have to have 150 hours and satisfy a specific list of criteria for courses taken (it's something like 8 out of 10 fields such as finance, ethics, etc.) to get your license, as well as work under the direct supervision of a CPA for I believe it's 2 years.

Sorry to ramble, but what I'm getting at is there are numerous ways to get to the same goal, which is getting your CPA license and landing a good job. One thing that you will need to decide while in school is if you want to focus on audit or taxation, because the firms will want to know that. The problem is while you are still in school you really have no idea what either of them is like.

App, UNCC, UNC Chapel Hill, Clemson, Virginia, UNC Wilmington - the big accounting firms recruit from all of these schools. I know because I accidentally got copied on an e-mail that had a spreadsheet showing which interns were hired and where they went.

As far as weather here, we do have four seasons but the winter is pretty mild. Maybe 6 inches of snow per year total. Summers can be disgusting, with the heat hitting around 100 with high humidity. Spring and fall are generally gorgeous. If you have any more accounting questions, feel free to ask.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:

Also, just in general, how is the job market for accountants in NC and what type of person would Charlotte appeal to? ....
In terms of accounting, nobody cares what school you went to. The just want to know how you can help them save on taxes. General accounting is done by computer and handled by people in India these days.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Hi,

Accounting Department - The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,557,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
In terms of accounting, nobody cares what school you went to. The just want to know how you can help them save on taxes. General accounting is done by computer and handled by people in India these days.
You are truly misinformed about what accountants do with this sweeping statement.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Uhhhhh what? I'm talking about ACCOUNTING which involves more than just taxes and entering numbers. I think you're talking about BOOK KEEPING.

UPenn only has a PHD program (which is only good for becoming an accounting prof), otherwise I'd be aiming at that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PlagueasForm- View Post
Appalachian State is supposed to have one of the better accounting programs around. If you want to work in Charlotte, it also would not be a bad idea to look into getting your MACC at UNCC as the university has ties to the local accounting firms.

Charlotte has a few big accounting firms, namely Deloitte, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, and Grant Thornton. I interviewed with all of them and even did an office visit/leadership conference with Deloitte in the hopes of getting an internship but it didn't work out, even though I had a relative who worked there for 5 years and was pretty high up at one of their audit clients. I was in the accounting fraternity and had a 3.8 GPA. My point in telling you this is that there's no guarantee on anything, even if you make all of the right moves.

I ended up working for a small public accounting firm in Charlotte and have LOVED it. I was admitted into the MACC program at UNCC and was on track to go back to school but my boss basically told me in so many words that he didn't care if I did it or not - that the CPA certificate is what mattered. I ended up getting 3 credit hours at the local community college and have sat for 3 parts of the exam so far.

In NC, you have to have 120 credit hours, 30 of which in accounting, to sit for the exam. You have to have 150 hours and satisfy a specific list of criteria for courses taken (it's something like 8 out of 10 fields such as finance, ethics, etc.) to get your license, as well as work under the direct supervision of a CPA for I believe it's 2 years.

Sorry to ramble, but what I'm getting at is there are numerous ways to get to the same goal, which is getting your CPA license and landing a good job. One thing that you will need to decide while in school is if you want to focus on audit or taxation, because the firms will want to know that. The problem is while you are still in school you really have no idea what either of them is like.

App, UNCC, UNC Chapel Hill, Clemson, Virginia, UNC Wilmington - the big accounting firms recruit from all of these schools. I know because I accidentally got copied on an e-mail that had a spreadsheet showing which interns were hired and where they went.

As far as weather here, we do have four seasons but the winter is pretty mild. Maybe 6 inches of snow per year total. Summers can be disgusting, with the heat hitting around 100 with high humidity. Spring and fall are generally gorgeous. If you have any more accounting questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks for an awesome answer. I actually have a quick question: you mentioned that you work for a small firm, and I was wondering how career prospects are for people who work in smaller firms? A lot of people on accounting boards make it sound like if you don't get into the Big 4, you're screwed, but if you get your CPA, can you still make good money working your way up in smaller firms? To me, good money is making 150-200k (I know that's a lot, but it's not nearly ambitious as most people on wall street) after working for 10-15 years, so is that possible even at the smaller firms? Also, are smaller firms more manageable hours-wise?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
UPenn only has a PHD program (which is only good for becoming an accounting prof), otherwise I'd be aiming at that for sure.
I am not an accountant but I know accountants with undergraduate degrees & Masters degrees from U of P/Wharton. I suggest that you read that link. I copied this excerpt.

Academic Programs
The Accounting Department offers concentrations in accounting at three levels: At the MBA level, students may major in financial accounting, with the flexibility to explore areas of special interest. Recently, the Accounting Department has developed an MBA course in International Accounting and Financial Reporting. Department faculty also lead one of the School's most successful open-enrollment programs in executive education. The Accounting Department also offers introductory and elective courses in accounting for both undergraduate and graduate students, serving students throughout the University of Pennsylvania.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I am not an accountant but I know accountants with undergraduate degrees & Masters degrees from U of P/Wharton. I suggest that you read that link. I copied this excerpt.

Academic Programs
The Accounting Department offers concentrations in accounting at three levels: At the MBA level, students may major in financial accounting, with the flexibility to explore areas of special interest. Recently, the Accounting Department has developed an MBA course in International Accounting and Financial Reporting. Department faculty also lead one of the School's most successful open-enrollment programs in executive education. The Accounting Department also offers introductory and elective courses in accounting for both undergraduate and graduate students, serving students throughout the University of Pennsylvania.
Yeah, I still don't see masters on that list. I see undergrad (aware of that), MBA (well aware of that), doctoral (aware of that), but I'm unaware about a masters.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I still don't see masters on that list. I see undergrad (aware of that), MBA (well aware of that), doctoral (aware of that), but I'm unaware about a masters.
The Masters degree that you get from Wharton is an MBA.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:
Uhhhhh what? I'm talking about ACCOUNTING which involves more than just taxes and entering numbers. I think you're talking about BOOK KEEPING.....
You didn't ask what is supposed to be the role of accountants. You asked, more or less, what is the characteristic of what would be considered a good accountant in Charlotte. I gave you my answer to what is expected of an accountant here. It sounds as if you are looking for some sort of vindication on what school you went to and I can tell you, they don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte