U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,044,893 times
Reputation: 1667

Advertisements

@Gkleoni: I agree with you on this one. ;-)

@southbound_295: I can see your point as well. I certainly don't think the 15 y/o was an innocent bystander by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't ascribe any ulterior motive to McClure. I just have a different POV for the reasons I've detailed. :-)

 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 50,639 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I guess that's where we are different. My only regret is that he didn't shoot all of them. When some scumbag takes a person in his mid seventies and beats him and tapes him up, he deserves to be shot. Bless his heart. If you have noticed what happens to criminals these days you would would expect these punks to be back on the streets in a year. We need more heros like this gentleman.

We are very very very different, and thank God for that!!!

We have a system in place to deal with criminals. Those boys most definitely committed a crime, and victimizing the old does seem a little worse because they are more helpless than the average person. But we don't need people taking the law into their own hands. What's to prevent people from doing stuff like this without even the slightest provocation? What's to keep people from feeling like they are entitled to shoot someone over some of the ridiculous everyday personal infractions that people experience. This is how parents kill each other over childrens soccer games, or even people are killed over a pair of shoes.

To devalue someone's life is reprehensible, no matter what the circumstance. To advocate someone going out and enacting their own justice is irresponsible. To call someone a hero that kills another human being over something so trivial as a few bruises and more than likely a bruised ego is...there are no words to describe the emotion that this evokes.

I sincerely wish you enlightenment.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 AM
 
28 posts, read 50,639 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Baybrook, I see your point, really I do. However I don't have a problem with what Mr. McClure did for one reason.

In all reports it is stated that Mr. McClure's house has been broken into repeatedly.

This seems to be a case where, like an abused wife, who suddenly kills her abuser, Mr. McClure had simply reached his limit. Was going to shoot out tires to delay the thieves the best possible decision? Not really, but this was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back. Following them wasn't against the law. We all know the rest.

If Mr. McClure had not been repeatedly robbed, & had he not been taped & beaten, would he have done this? probably not. . . However there is no reason to not believe that his intention in taking the gun was to shoot out tires.

It's too bad that a 15 year old was killed, but he went & participated in the burglary & assault. This was not an innocent bystander.

Why didn't he get a burglar alarm or even a big dog? I have an alarm on my house and have never had a break-in. The thieves would not have had time to tie two people up, beat them and rob their house with an alarm blaring. They automatically call the police for you. Most companies will give you the alarm for free if you sign a 2 year agreement to pay them $20 a month. Seriously, this was inappropriate all the way around.

BTW, no one is suggesting the kid was innocent, but neither is Mr. McClure - he is a murderer.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,723 posts, read 7,923,518 times
Reputation: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer - Not Lost View Post
...he is a murderer.
Not in the eyes of the law, he isn't.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer - Not Lost View Post
Why didn't he get a burglar alarm or even a big dog? I have an alarm on my house and have never had a break-in. The thieves would not have had time to tie two people up, beat them and rob their house with an alarm blaring. They automatically call the police for you. Most companies will give you the alarm for free if you sign a 2 year agreement to pay them $20 a month. Seriously, this was inappropriate all the way around.

BTW, no one is suggesting the kid was innocent, but neither is Mr. McClure - he is a murderer.
Wow, just wow. I can only pray for your sake you never find yourself as an old man in Mr. McClure's shoes. Have compassion for the kid if you want - his was a young life wasted by poor choices from his birth apparently. But how pathetic it is that you have the audacity to judge the man a murderer after all he went thru.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,851 posts, read 27,123,355 times
Reputation: 8922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer - Not Lost View Post
Why didn't he get a burglar alarm or even a big dog? I have an alarm on my house and have never had a break-in. The thieves would not have had time to tie two people up, beat them and rob their house with an alarm blaring. They automatically call the police for you. Most companies will give you the alarm for free if you sign a 2 year agreement to pay them $20 a month. Seriously, this was inappropriate all the way around.

BTW, no one is suggesting the kid was innocent, but neither is Mr. McClure - he is a murderer.
I don't know if there was an alarm system & neither do you.

Most people disable the alarm when they are home & working around the house. I know people who have had their houses protected with alarm systems, only to have intruders disable the alarms. Plus I knew a couple who could no longer keep the system active because they were older & one had early Alzheimers & there were problems because of that.

We don't know every facet of the McClures' lives because it's none of our business. Given the information that has been made public, & given that I've seen similar cases handled the exact same way in other jurisdictions, I don't see a problem with how this one was handled. You are, of course, free to disagree.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 04:24 PM
 
1,644 posts, read 4,097,276 times
Reputation: 443
The primary duty of the district attorney is to prosecute all criminal cases filed in the district. The district attorney represents the state in all criminal and some juvenile matters. In addition, the district attorney is responsible for preparing the criminal trial docket and advising law enforcement officers in the district.

That's a hell of a tall order and you would think it should demand a certain amount of experience so I found this info astounding

Mr.G graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received his law degree from Duke University School of Law in 1965. Prior to his election in 1975, he worked as an Assistant Solicitor in Mecklenburg County.

SO he got his law degree in 1965 and 10 years later when he got the DA position he was working as an assistant solicitor?

On another note, while searching for info on the DA I came across a CD thread from last year.

DA Peter Gilchrist: What is he all about?

Here are some quotes;

I really do not know much about our DA, but do feel the DA's office is the weak link in our justice system, in that too many cases are pled down to lesser offenses just to get the books closed on them.

I have been told by an insider that the DA's office will only take to trial the criminals they are fairly confident they can convict. If there is not quite enough evidence, or the case will be more difficult to prove, they tend to kick the case out. This is not so much an attempt to keep their conviction numbers up and make them look good, as it is just a survival technique. The DA's office is literally drowning in cases that they do not have enough assistant DA's to work on. They feel they HAVE to chose only the best cases to try and then let the rest go.

Someone needs to run against Gilchrist and get some "order in the court."

So if you look at the posts here that refer to the DA-he is now some sort of hero figure because he made the "right decision" and that decision is set in stone and undisputable.

I see a similar pattern here on CD. As long as you agree with what the masses think then you are acceptable, but you will be attacked very quickly if you dare to voice and stick to an opinion that differs.

I am sure you all know the saying "If you don't like the weather in NC come back tomorrow"
 
Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,922,919 times
Reputation: 1585
^You stumbled on the very first sentence. No crime was committed so it doesn't apply. Of course you have already been down the path that some how you have concluded McClure is a murderer without any evidence that would prove it, so it's probably a moot point to even point this out.
 
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,975 posts, read 17,553,520 times
Reputation: 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer - Not Lost View Post
We are very very very different, and thank God for that!!!

We have a system in place to deal with criminals. Those boys most definitely committed a crime, and victimizing the old does seem a little worse because they are more helpless than the average person. But we don't need people taking the law into their own hands. What's to prevent people from doing stuff like this without even the slightest provocation? What's to keep people from feeling like they are entitled to shoot someone over some of the ridiculous everyday personal infractions that people experience. This is how parents kill each other over childrens soccer games, or even people are killed over a pair of shoes.

To devalue someone's life is reprehensible, no matter what the circumstance. To advocate someone going out and enacting their own justice is irresponsible. To call someone a hero that kills another human being over something so trivial as a few bruises and more than likely a bruised ego is...there are no words to describe the emotion that this evokes.

I sincerely wish you enlightenment.
I beg to disagree that Mr. McLure was unprovoked and that his being robbed of his peace of mind, his wife being beat is considered personal everyday infractions.
 
Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
The primary duty of the district attorney is to prosecute all criminal cases filed in the district. The district attorney represents the state in all criminal and some juvenile matters. In addition, the district attorney is responsible for preparing the criminal trial docket and advising law enforcement officers in the district.

That's a hell of a tall order and you would think it should demand a certain amount of experience so I found this info astounding

Mr.G graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received his law degree from Duke University School of Law in 1965. Prior to his election in 1975, he worked as an Assistant Solicitor in Mecklenburg County.

SO he got his law degree in 1965 and 10 years later when he got the DA position he was working as an assistant solicitor?

On another note, while searching for info on the DA I came across a CD thread from last year.

DA Peter Gilchrist: What is he all about?

Here are some quotes;

I really do not know much about our DA, but do feel the DA's office is the weak link in our justice system, in that too many cases are pled down to lesser offenses just to get the books closed on them.

I have been told by an insider that the DA's office will only take to trial the criminals they are fairly confident they can convict. If there is not quite enough evidence, or the case will be more difficult to prove, they tend to kick the case out. This is not so much an attempt to keep their conviction numbers up and make them look good, as it is just a survival technique. The DA's office is literally drowning in cases that they do not have enough assistant DA's to work on. They feel they HAVE to chose only the best cases to try and then let the rest go.

Someone needs to run against Gilchrist and get some "order in the court."

So if you look at the posts here that refer to the DA-he is now some sort of hero figure because he made the "right decision" and that decision is set in stone and undisputable.

I see a similar pattern here on CD. As long as you agree with what the masses think then you are acceptable, but you will be attacked very quickly if you dare to voice and stick to an opinion that differs.

I am sure you all know the saying "If you don't like the weather in NC come back tomorrow"
I don't know what your point is. We have been bitching about the DA for years here. I don't think anyone even runs against him in most (if not all) elections.

You are assigning some sort of hero status to the guy and all he did was his job.

On this forum, at least, the general consensus is that he pleads down cases too often in order to move folks thru/ a very bloated system (too many perps in this town) and so we have repeat offenders on the street continually.

So you are talking to the wrong group if your point is that we all idolize Gilchrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top