Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM

64 posts, read 122,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsingett View Post
We camped in Daytona one year at the ABATE campground we had just a tent & sleeping bags but I really enjoyed the bonfire, community dining and hanging out with everyone. We pulled up when the temperature started falling (well for florida it was cold) and this woman who knew my husband from south florida ran up to us with cups of pasta fagiole to warm us up! That was so cool of her! There were some people there with full out kitchen and campers who were staying for the week. I could be open to camping - how do you guys do it? Tents? Campers?
We tent camp. My husband loves nothing more than a great fire, shooting the breeze, having some beers. I hear you about the Florida chilly nights now and then. One time we went to the winter rally in North Florida and it was just freezing over night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 34,537 times
Us too! Maybe we can all hook up some time.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsingett View Post
Us too! Maybe we can all hook up some time.
My husband just said "Sweet!"

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 34,537 times
Ok well email me i guess if that is how this works via the contact info thingy, maybe you and i could meet for coffee one day? If that sounds ok to you then let me know, talk to you later.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM

55 posts, read 80,533 times
Default Hi Jessica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1979 View Post
Well I'm 30, but Hubby is 36, so he's a little older than me. We don't mind hangin with 20-somethings though as long as things don't get too crazy! LOL! We LOVE The Breakfast Club uptown, its a really fun 80's club, but it loses its appeal after you've gone with just the two of you 5 or 6 times.

Hubby is getting so discouraged he's almost ready to move to a bigger city! Just teasing of course but he has hinted at it in times of desperation.

I am completely new to this forum, this is my VERY first post.
I am currently living in NY, westchester county. My fiance is 34, and I am 30.

My sis and brother in law live in Charlotte, and we are more than likely moving there by 2011. ( We are getting married this november)
We will be your friends!
It's funny...I googled "making friends in Charlotte" and this forum came up.
My sis is really great...she is 28, my BIL is 34, and they live right in the city...they have made a bunch of friends in the year and a half that they have been there.
Where abouts are you?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDZZZZ View Post
I am completely new to this forum, this is my VERY first post.
I am currently living in NY, westchester county. My fiance is 34, and I am 30.

My sis and brother in law live in Charlotte, and we are more than likely moving there by 2011. ( We are getting married this november)
We will be your friends!
It's funny...I googled "making friends in Charlotte" and this forum came up.
My sis is really great...she is 28, my BIL is 34, and they live right in the city...they have made a bunch of friends in the year and a half that they have been there.
Where abouts are you?
Welcome!

DH and I are in Indian Trail. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! What kind of work do you guys do?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
www.meetup.org

There are all kinds of interest groups there.

I also find it hard to meet people at the Y, unless you share a "special interest" like yoga or spinning, etc. But if you just go into the Y, throw your headphones on and hit the treadmill for 30 mins, then leave - it's pretty tough to meet anyone that way.

CHOA or MeetUp are both good avenues to meet people with common interests, IMO.

Do we need to start up a "Young CD'ers Club" or something? (Oops, I'll be 35 this year! Not so young...)
Meetup group is a good start

Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM

So far we haven't had much luck with meetup. It seems like all the activities are on the complete opposite side of town from us, or way to expensive. Apparently some of these people haven't heard there is a recession going on. LOL!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM

124 posts, read 212,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Anti- I believe that locals are so used to hearing so much criticism about greeting strangers on the street, welcoming neighbors, invitations to churches, and other forms of genuine kindness that it is no longer a common practice. Natives don't want to annoy newcomers and be criticized. I have spend all of my adult life in large cities. I like a combination of city amenities, friendliness, and hospitality. Pretty scarce these days. Unfortunately, I suppose we will have to accept that things have changed and our culture has been diluted. Nevertheless, I shall continue to be friendly, hospitable, and a motor mouth so help me god.
I've never seen anyone be criticized for being hospitable. Only seen people being criticized for not being hospitable.

Usually its a Native criticizing a newcomer for not being hospitable and the newcomer explaining that it's just not a custom where they're from to say hello to everyone they see. I've found that when greeting newcomers they're not intending to be rude, they will say hello. But you can tell from the eye contact whether or not they are comfortable communicating beyond a simple greeting. I think it's more about the personality and how busy they are, or what might be on their mind at the moment. Not so much about where they're from.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM

55 posts, read 80,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1979 View Post
Welcome!

DH and I are in Indian Trail. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! What kind of work do you guys do?
I am an administrative assistant and my fiance has his own computer consulting business. He also does home theatres, and surveillance systems...It is a little more difficult for him to relocate, because he basically has to start from scratch, and build his business in NC. How about you guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte