Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times

Advertisements

This morning the UPS driver hand delivered me a envelope. I opened it up and there were three Western Union money orders each for $850 total of $2550. I have no clue what this is for. There is a note 'to ensure quality service please respond to email monitoring.2010@live.com and give check #s, amount. I did just this and got a undeliverable reply email. On UPS envelope it says from International Quality and Production Center -Little Falls, NJ. I found website www.iqpc.com and still doesn't make sence. I called the 800 number and person and got answering service and they said call Monday. There is a name on check with a Macomb, IL address. My question is anyone ever heard of this situation? I guess I can call Monday and maybe figure this out. I'm certain that these checks are legit and I could turn it into $2500 cash today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
This morning the UPS driver hand delivered me a envelope. I opened it up and there were three Western Union money orders each for $850 total of $2550. I have no clue what this is for. There is a note 'to ensure quality service please respond to email monitoring.2010@live.com and give check #s, amount. I did just this and got a undeliverable reply email. On UPS envelope it says from International Quality and Production Center -Little Falls, NJ. I found website www.iqpc.com and still doesn't make sence. I called the 800 number and person and got answering service and they said call Monday. There is a name on check with a Macomb, IL address. My question is anyone ever heard of this situation? I guess I can call Monday and maybe figure this out. I'm certain that these checks are legit and I could turn it into $2500 cash today.
I would be real skeptical. Sounds like some kind of scam to me

Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Sounds like a scam to me too. Don't get suckered in.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
When I say checks are legit, I meant to say that checks look like they could be cashed. Other than that it the whole thing seems fishy.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:54 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,351 times
There are tons of Western Union scams out there. The checks may be cashed on your account...so if/when they bounce, it hits your account to make it up.

http://www.westernunion.com/web-inf/pdf/fakeChekcs_en.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 AM

105 posts, read 250,246 times
I think it sounds fishy. Usually Western Union money orders are only issued in $500 increments. I could be wrong though...

Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
There are tons of Western Union scams out there. The checks may be cashed on your account...so if/when they bounce, it hits your account to make it up.

http://www.westernunion.com/web-inf/pdf/fakeChekcs_en.pdf (broken link)

this is good info, thanks

Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Okay - first of all - you said UPS delivered this? Not USPS?

There should be a tracking number if UPS delivered it. I would be interested in seeing what the tracking number reveals.

In any case, this appears to be a scam - if indeed, you are not expecting a payment of $2500 from someone.

If this was not delivered by USPS, then I am wondering if they chose UPS to get around mail fraud laws.

Also, why would someone send you, via UPS or USPS, western union money orders? Isn't the typical method of doing that to wire the money directly to the western union office closest to you - and then you pick the money orders up in person? Or wire it directly to a bank account?

I would be very very concerned about this - and very concerned about giving any info that ties your name and address to receipt of these money orders.

I believe the FBI investigates this type of fraud. We have a Charlotte FBI office. I would be calling them. I would hate to see you implicated in some kind of money laundering scheme.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay - first of all - you said UPS delivered this? Not USPS?

There should be a tracking number if UPS delivered it. I would be interested in seeing what the tracking number reveals.

In any case, this appears to be a scam - if indeed, you are not expecting a payment of $2500 from someone.

If this was not delivered by USPS, then I am wondering if they chose UPS to get around mail fraud laws.

Also, why would someone send you, via UPS or USPS, western union money orders? Isn't the typical method of doing that to wire the money directly to the western union office closest to you - and then you pick the money orders up in person? Or wire it directly to a bank account?

I would be very very concerned about this - and very concerned about giving any info that ties your name and address to receipt of these money orders.

I believe the FBI investigates this type of fraud. We have a Charlotte FBI office. I would be calling them. I would hate to see you implicated in some kind of money laundering scheme.
The UPS driver hand delivered so it did come UPS(Next Day Air), there is a UPS acct # and tracking number. Certainly shipping by Fedex/UPS is way to avoide Government mail fraud. I will try to call FBI Monday.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:48 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,487 times
Scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte